IGNORED

Best and Worst: voice acting

WhyNotZoidberg

I'm late to the party here, but the Uncharted Trilogy sticks out to me as some key stuff as far as top notch voices go, right along with the script writing.  The pairing of them really sell the game so incredibly well that it feels like you're playing out some interactive movie with a lot of action and witting banter, especially between Drake & Sully, Chloe, or Elena in particular.

I miss those games, but no longer have a PS3 for gaming purposes.  I know there's that U4 spinoff junk in a couple weeks coming to Steam, but seriously, not good enough or the same. 😕

• Like 1

I was always pretty impressed with the voice acting Lucas Arts adventure games in the early '90s (Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max, etc.) I felt the voice work in Sierra's game's of the time seemed almost amateurish by comparison. It's almost like it took a few years for some developers to realize that you couldn't just grab people from the office and expect decent voice work.

Snatcher on the Sega CD was pretty good too. 

As for modern games, I feel Naughty Dog's stuff is the gold standard, although I don't play much modern stuff so there's probably plenty of stuff as good or better by now.

• Like 1

Tales of Symphonia is an early 2000s era RPG that surprised me with how overall good the voice acting is. Each voice fits each character really well, and some voice actors have since gone on to fairly major roles in movies and TV since.

As far as bad acting not yet mentioned, the PSP port of Star Ocean 2 is laughably bad. They should have kept it to text only rather than try to record all the dialogue...

• Agree 1