IGNORED

The DS Thread

Because the world needs more DS in its life. Post anything and everything DS related here. I’ll start with this

My favorite DS games

-Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 
-Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2
-Advance Wars Dual Strike
-Dragon Quest Heroes Rocket Slime
-Drone Tactics
-Yugioh 2011
-Digimon World DS
-Digimon World Dawn
-Digimon World Dusk
-Tingles Rosy Rupeeland
-Geometry Wars
-Pokémon Black 2 and White 2
-Pokémon Black and White
-Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
-Megaman Battle Network 5
-Chrono Trigger
-Civilization Revolution
-Tetris DS
-Mario Kart DS
-New Super Mario Bros
-Dragon Quest IV
-Age of Empires
-Final Fantasy Chocobotales

Games I haven’t played yet but look good

-Dragon Quest V
-Dragon Quest VI
-Dragon Quest IX
-Radiant Historia
-Solatorobo 
-Dokapon Journey 
-Super Robot Taisen OG Saga
-Infinite Space
-Sands of Destruction 
-Suikoden Tierkreis
-Elebits
-Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon 
-Avalon Code
-Lunar Knights
-Scurge Hive
-Advance Wars Days of Ruin
-Luminous Arc
-Luminous Arc 2
-Izuna
-Izuna 2
-Front Mission
-Final Fantasy Tactics A2
-Valkyrie Profile Covenant of the Plume
-Knights in the Nightmare
-Hero’s Saga Laevatein Tactics
-Etrian Odyssey I
-Etrian Odyssey II
-Etrian Odyssey III
-Golden Sun Dark Dawn
-Phantasy Star 0
-Big Bang Mini
-Legacy of Ys Books I and II
-Black Sigil

Edited by Makar

The DS came at a time where I was READY for a new nintendo handheld. I didnt collect a lot for the DS at the time,but I played a lot, meaning I didnt buy a game thinking it would be rare. I had such a great time with it. To me it was just a better gameboy and I loved it. I remember going often to this one gamestop and kept finding the more ibscure rpgs traded in, so I bought them. One day when buying Lunar Dragon Song the girl behind the counter said she just traded it in. She was the one trading in those more obscure games I was buying. Haha she was so nice and we talked some DS. Sadly she quit shortly after and I never saw her again.

12 hours ago, Aguy said:

IMG_20220625_124622915~2.jpg

It's my DQ machine. I've been meaning to pick up Rocket Slime, and I wasn't really a big enough fan of Joker to get the sequel. It doesn't have the same charms as the GBC games.

Rocket slime is excellent! 

As you can see, I’m quite fond of the Dragon Quest Monsters Joker series lol

9F299BC2-B9E9-4468-82CE-FA08CF4F5F1B.jpeg.d9c4ddabd18c8edef1c436a4acd2b485.jpeg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, scaryice said:

I can't believe how much Flower, Sun, & Rain is worth now. I got it cheap a few years ago, but I've only played it for an hour or two, seems pretty bad.

This is how I feel when I look up almost any DS game now. Dragon quest monsters joker 2 may have surprised me the most 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Editorials Team · Posted
11 minutes ago, scaryice said:

I can't believe how much Flower, Sun, & Rain is worth now. I got it cheap a few years ago, but I've only played it for an hour or two, seems pretty bad.

Yeah I sold my sealed copy because I got the impression I'd only be let down by actually playing it.

15 minutes ago, Aguy said:

image.png.4f63f69a1023a757402e4a6b88b4531f.png

Overall it's still not too bad of a market, it's just the heavy hitters (and pokemon) that are dragging the needle higher.

Is that loose or complete? Because there are over 20 different DS games going for $100+ complete. The number is probably closer to 30-50 if you go through them all. And of those, you have some going much more than $100. 

1 hour ago, Makar said:

Is that loose or complete? Because there are over 20 different DS games going for $100+ complete. The number is probably closer to 30-50 if you go through them all. And of those, you have some going much more than $100. 

How Is the Index Calculated?

Indexes are the average price of all items released for that particular console/set with a few items excluded.

Video Games

Loose Price. The index is an average of the loose (game only) price.

Excludes Variants. For example, Player's Choice, Not for Resale, Greatest Hits, Limited Edition versions are excluded.

Excludes non-commercially released games. Games like Nintendo World Championships are not included because they were not commercially sold.

Excludes unlicensed games. Games like Super Noah's Ark 3D are not included because they were not licensed by the console manufacturer.

Excludes all hardware. The indexes do not include systems, accessories, or controllers.

11 minutes ago, Aguy said:

How Is the Index Calculated?

Indexes are the average price of all items released for that particular console/set with a few items excluded.

Video Games

Loose Price. The index is an average of the loose (game only) price.

Excludes Variants. For example, Player's Choice, Not for Resale, Greatest Hits, Limited Edition versions are excluded.

Excludes non-commercially released games. Games like Nintendo World Championships are not included because they were not commercially sold.

Excludes unlicensed games. Games like Super Noah's Ark 3D are not included because they were not licensed by the console manufacturer.

Excludes all hardware. The indexes do not include systems, accessories, or controllers.

That makes a lot more sense if it’s just loose carts. All that shovelware will keep the average price for cart only down for a long time

Well that chart cant be used to describe the DS market imo. But the Ds has a ton of shovelware too and that would drag the chart down, but who would buy loose shovelware? Shovelware is good for replacing damaged boxes but loose, I dont get it. Maybe the loose DS collector scene is something im unaware of. Most the games I want are easy 50+ but then again that CIB

8 minutes ago, 360collector said:

Well that chart cant be used to describe the DS market imo. But the Ds has a ton of shovelware too and that would drag the chart down, but who would buy loose shovelware? Shovelware is good for replacing damaged boxes but loose, I dont get it. Maybe the loose DS collector scene is something im unaware of. Most the games I want are easy 50+ but then again that CIB

My guess is what’s actually going on is all the bootlegs from China for the popular and rarer titles are artificially keeping the average price low 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 360collector said:

good point, thats probably doing a hitjob on other systems too, like the n64

It’s why I think CIB paints a better picture of the average price for some systems like the DS that have a massive counterfeit problem. It’s possible to counterfeit CIB of course but it is FAR less common than just cart only and I don’t think would drag down the price like fake cart only copies do. I’d be curious to see charts and how prices of cart only games changed once counterfeits became more prevalent for that system. Probably impossible to measure but it’d be interesting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Makar said:

It’s why I think CIB paints a better picture of the average price for some systems like the DS that have a massive counterfeit problem. It’s possible to counterfeit CIB of course but it is FAR less common than just cart only and I don’t think would drag down the price like fake cart only copies do. I’d be curious to see charts and how prices of cart only games changed once counterfeits became more prevalent for that system. Probably impossible to measure but it’d be interesting. 

If those making the charts wanted it to be good they should never have included sales from china to begin with

4 hours ago, Makar said:

A DS Complete set (over 1700+) is roughly $15-$18. There are about 70+ games that will take over at or over that $100 mark. 

Administrator · Posted

I wish I had more on the system. The bulk of my handheld games in general are RPGs and I just don't have time to play specifically handheld RPGs like I used to, as I no longer travel to and from work. It used to be that I'd get a solid 10 to 20 hours a week just on the subway and bus to work. Nowadays I roll out of bed and into my computer chair. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 360collector said:

If those making the charts wanted it to be good they should never have included sales from china to begin with

Agreed but I imagine that’s hard for them to do if they’re just doing an automated dump of data from big sites. But maybe it isn’t too hard to exclude if you just take out sales from China or Hong Kong? Idk I’m not a programmer lol

17 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

PXL_20220626_232353384.jpg

PXL_20220626_232403949.jpg

PXL_20220626_232412940.jpg

PXL_20220626_232426522.jpg

That is a nice solid DS collection you have there good sir

9 minutes ago, Mr. CIB said:

A DS Complete set (over 1700+) is roughly $15-$18. There are about 70+ games that will take over at or over that $100 mark. 

Just an easy 25k to complete the set nbd lol. Idk how that compares to other full sets in terms of pricy-ness. Wow that many that high already huh?

Editorials Team · Posted

Shouting out a few of my own favorites that are a bit off the beaten path:

SMT Strange Journey - This was remade on the 3DS, so that may be the definitive version to get.  Either way, I had a ton of fun with the original release.  It was the first SMT I played all the way through and I was hopelessly addicted throughout.  Originally thought of as an unofficial SMT4 (before SMT4 was a thing) this is a hardcore dungeon crawler, with the catch-em-all mechanics made famous in a certain other (newer) franchise.  Except here it's various Gods and demons.  And genital monsters.  Not for the faint of heart as the difficulty is often very high.  Not a bad place to jump into one of the deepest series around.

Theresia - A mixture of a visual novel, point and click adventure, and survival horror FPS (though less like Dementium and more like something like Death Mark).  Requires extreme patience.

Bangai-Oh Spirits - Followup to the N64/Dreamcast Treasure classic(?).  The gameplay is very bizarre: free roaming shmup where you collect fruit and unleash a thousand missiles simultaneously into the legions of insects trying to murder you.  Very puzzle like in nature.  This is not gonna be for everyone, but I loved it and got 100%.

Front Mission - A SFC tactical classic, this feels a little barebones compared to it's sequels, and it's being remade for Switch so most people should probably hold off.  But I love it.  This is the first DS game I bought and my first addiction playing it.  Any fans of FFT or Disgaea or the like should check it out 

• Like 1

Pretty familiar with the others (obviously, really), but Theresia is new to me, and now I'm curious about it!
Too bad it seems a little too late to grab that one 😧 Like so much else, price has gone nuts, and it's import-only.

I actually made a forum thread about hidden gems for the DS in 2012 (almost exactly ten years ago to this date), and at the time pretty much all of them could be bought for somewhere between ~$2-$10. The platform has so much fun and crazy off-beat stuff, and tons of nice little games that went completely under the radar, it's like an inexhaustible treasure trove.
And even then, I'm constantly discovering fun and unique games that I'm disappointed no one mentioned back then. 😛 

Edited by Sumez