IGNORED

Is Goodwill grading games now?

Not sure if anyone else saw this, but Goodwill of Silicon Valley’s ebay page had a graded Gotcha Force listed that was graded on 3/17/22. I find it very very hard to believe that someone had a game graded then immediately donated to Goodwill, especially a game like Gotcha Force. The auction had a reserve and it wasn't met. 

So did they get a sealed G.F. donated and sent it to WATA? Seems crazy no matter what the true story may be. 

1 hour ago, MrWunderful said:

I dont think thats actually goodwill of silicon valley, I think its a person using their logo and likeness (I may be wrong)

As far As I knew, goodwill sends all the games to a central location for sale/bid on their own site. I dont believe individual stores list on eBay. 

I know at least a few years ago when I was buying Gamecube lots there were Goodwill stores for a lot of major cities on Ebay. I ended up with some good sealed GC games for dirt cheap from their auctions.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, MrWunderful said:

I dont think thats actually goodwill of silicon valley, I think its a person using their logo and likeness (I may be wrong)

As far As I knew, goodwill sends all the games to a central location for sale/bid on their own site. I dont believe individual stores list on eBay. 

Go to the item description, I'm almost certain that this is a GW account. "All net proceeds will support Goodwill of Silicon Valley". As well as the description listing the address to the GW store 1080 N. 7th Street, San Jose, CA 95112.

Individual GW stores (or an account for multiple in a region) absolutely have ebay accounts and sell games on them. They may be regional, but I know of multiple GW ebay accounts. GW Central Indiana GW Columbia Willamette GW Upstate/Mid South Carolina

1 hour ago, retro.magnus said:

Go to the item description, I'm almost certain that this is a GW account. "All net proceeds will support Goodwill of Silicon Valley". As well as the description listing the address to the GW store 1080 N. 7th Street, San Jose, CA 95112.

Individual GW stores (or an account for multiple in a region) absolutely have ebay accounts and sell games on them. They may be regional, but I know of multiple GW ebay accounts. GW Central Indiana GW Columbia Willamette GW Upstate/Mid South Carolina

Thats a main sorting depot, I drive by there all the time. 

Just seems weird that goodwill would have someone capable managing the process of sending games out to get graded, get back then listed and sold. Maybe that hub is the location then.

So they auction shit on their own site, and ebay? Sounds terribly confusing and ripe for taking advantage of, oh well. 

24 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Thats a main sorting depot, I drive by there all the time. 

Just seems weird that goodwill would have someone capable managing the process of sending games out to get graded, get back then listed and sold. Maybe that hub is the location then.

So they auction shit on their own site, and ebay? Sounds terribly confusing and ripe for taking advantage of, oh well. 

Yeah the ebay accounts may very well be sorting depots.. Either way, I find it really odd that they had that graded Gotcha Force on one of the accounts. Especially because it had a reserve, I personally have not seen any of the GW accounts list auctions with a reserve. Why would they have a reserve on an item that was donated??

Seems to me like they sent it to WATA or someone posted a personal item on the GW account. Highly doubt a game that was graded less than a month ago was donated. 

Individual Goodwill locations definitely sell online, on ebay and Amazon for example. I've also purchased from that account in the past, it is definitely Goodwill and not somebody misusing the name.

As far as how they got a graded game, I'd speculate (in order of likelihood):

1. Someone passed away, moved out abruptly, or lover's vengeance, and their stuff ended up at a Goodwill. This item was among the donated items.
  2. Somebody was trying to part with this and/or other things very quickly and was happy to take a tax deduction on it versus trying to make a sale. You can claim FMV as a tax deduction from the donation as long as you can prove what it is worth (the assumption here is there are other known sales of this game in similar condition).
  3. Goodwill got a sealed Gotcha Force donated to them, and one of the employees had the bright idea of getting it graded and then auctioning it off.

Goodwill used to send their retro stuff to their physical store, The Grid, in Charlotte, NC. However, Goodwill stores are using a lot more methods to sell their items. A local Goodwill here uses Let Go/Offer Up, a Facebook etc. It's nice to see them using other methods tonsell, but it must be a headache listing on various websites and removing sold items.

16 hours ago, GPX said:

I would be interested to see if this was a legit sale and that money is exchanged. The winning bidder has a low feedback number of 33, and having made multiple bids against only one other bidder. 

The reserve was not met, it didn't sell. They have listed it on SGW now as I posted above.