IGNORED

The CIB market

11 hours ago, Tenjikuronin said:

Wow that's quite a piece of history -- I just read a bit about it here: https://segaretro.org/Blast_processing and the involvement of Booz Allen is such an interesting twist.

I agree with you -- stuff like this is more exciting than the games themselves haha

Definitely, that is a nice like and hits it well on the high level of BS that Sega was lying about.  Especially the block of text where sadly the US market allows blatant lying in advertising while most other countries in the world that were markets for the Sega system would be illegal to run because they could not prove to a court factual data backing the claim.  We know Nintendo they would have happily destroyed them and sought damages and court costs too to rub in their faces otherwise.  Who wouldn't?  The most slimy to me is the one they gave reference to, calling up a comparison of Sonic a side scroller to a mode7(3D) racer Mario Kart for being a slow, laughably poor and otherwise garbage system.  Yeah...fair.  No arguing the SNES was slower, but coupled with its pros including its DMA/HDMA handling and the fact Sega learned NOTHING from the SMS vs NES period about leaving hardware truly open to cheap expansion capability really screwed them as SNES balanced the field with simple cheaper chips like the DSP and SA1 or the more costly RISC based FX1/2 style chips.  Sega...they had to figure a work around, then gimped an existing project into a $100 cart for Virtua Racing -- impressive, but damn... $100 for one game in the early mid 90s was utterly reckless.

If I get the motivation and time I'll scan that document probably into a PDF since I can pop the pages in sequentially... if anyone is interested that is.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Definitely, that is a nice like and hits it well on the high level of BS that Sega was lying about.  Especially the block of text where sadly the US market allows blatant lying in advertising while most other countries in the world that were markets for the Sega system would be illegal to run because they could not prove to a court factual data backing the claim.  We know Nintendo they would have happily destroyed them and sought damages and court costs too to rub in their faces otherwise.  Who wouldn't?  The most slimy to me is the one they gave reference to, calling up a comparison of Sonic a side scroller to a mode7(3D) racer Mario Kart for being a slow, laughably poor and otherwise garbage system.  Yeah...fair.  No arguing the SNES was slower, but coupled with its pros including its DMA/HDMA handling and the fact Sega learned NOTHING from the SMS vs NES period about leaving hardware truly open to cheap expansion capability really screwed them as SNES balanced the field with simple cheaper chips like the DSP and SA1 or the more costly RISC based FX1/2 style chips.  Sega...they had to figure a work around, then gimped an existing project into a $100 cart for Virtua Racing -- impressive, but damn... $100 for one game in the early mid 90s was utterly reckless.

If I get the motivation and time I'll scan that document probably into a PDF since I can pop the pages in sequentially... if anyone is interested that is.

Is virtua racing for Genesis the most expensive home console video game? We're there any other games from 8/16 bit that came in at $100+ retail?

15 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

Is virtua racing for Genesis the most expensive home console video game? We're there any other games from 8/16 bit that came in at $100+ retail?

Not that I'm aware of.  Even when some companies tried to specifically take advantage of the base, such as the memorable Square Tax where stuff like Chrono Trigger could hit $70-80 and I recall FF6 going to $60 that's where it topped out.  No matter the ginned up chip Nintendo put into a cart (FX2, SA1, etc) those titles MSRP'd out at $50.  They strongly urged games not to cross that barrier but never enforced it, so those who felt they could squeeze people for more coin did, Square with those, and Capcom nailed people for SF2 for $65 because of all the hype too.

56 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Not that I'm aware of.  Even when some companies tried to specifically take advantage of the base, such as the memorable Square Tax where stuff like Chrono Trigger could hit $70-80 and I recall FF6 going to $60 that's where it topped out.  No matter the ginned up chip Nintendo put into a cart (FX2, SA1, etc) those titles MSRP'd out at $50.  They strongly urged games not to cross that barrier but never enforced it, so those who felt they could squeeze people for more coin did, Square with those, and Capcom nailed people for SF2 for $65 because of all the hype too.

Shining Force II and Phantasy Star IV came pretty close - I think I laid out close to $90 each for them new. The other cardboard case RPGs were pricey too.  Sega really screwed us on those - raised the price and used those crappy cardboard boxes (which were even worse than the SNES ones) and also made cheap non glossy manuals with black and white covers.  

3 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Shining Force II and Phantasy Star IV came pretty close - I think I laid out close to $90 each for them new. The other cardboard case RPGs were pricey too.  Sega really screwed us on those - raised the price and used those crappy cardboard boxes (which were even worse than the SNES ones) and also made cheap non glossy manuals with black and white covers.  

Ouch... I never was a Sega fan other than a few arcade games in the 90s largely around mainly their lying bullshit and trolling causing those console wars of sorts.  Sell yourself on the benefits, not lies and insults for buying the other stuff.  I only got a Nomad and Genesis 3 in the later 90s, got into it a bit then.  Because of that I never had to deal with toxic overpricing on their side as I never bothered to look at the ads.  SNES got my money, then the N64 and Turbo Duo until the Dreamcast hit in 99.  That's the only time I gave Sega money for their hardware. 😄

5 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Ouch... I never was a Sega fan other than a few arcade games in the 90s largely around mainly their lying bullshit and trolling causing those console wars of sorts.  Sell yourself on the benefits, not lies and insults for buying the other stuff.  I only got a Nomad and Genesis 3 in the later 90s, got into it a bit then.  Because of that I never had to deal with toxic overpricing on their side as I never bothered to look at the ads.  SNES got my money, then the N64 and Turbo Duo until the Dreamcast hit in 99.  That's the only time I gave Sega money for their hardware. 😄

I got into gaming as an adult so it was never a choice of either/or for me since I had resources - I bought systems if they had enough games I wanted.  I distinctly remember the sticker shock when Sega switched to the cardboard boxes.

24 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

I got into gaming as an adult so it was never a choice of either/or for me since I had resources - I bought systems if they had enough games I wanted.  I distinctly remember the sticker shock when Sega switched to the cardboard boxes.

Fair enough.  My parents got me into it thinking it was just another toy I guess with the NES pre-deluxe set, which I rolled into Gameboy, buying my first console the SNES at launch etc.  My brother ate the BS about Sega making his 9 or 10 year old self cool, and was like the corporate puppet of the ages with the trolling which turned me off it even more where I wouldn't even touch the damn thing, look sure, touch...nah.  I stuck with my NES until I had to save into the SNES through out 1991.  He wasn't happy when I pulled the console reverse uno card on his ass, look but no touch, bitchin and whinin to mommy and he got nowhere since I paid for it. 😄  He always got games, but ended up regretting his attitude some as he went back and got more NES titles oddly enough.  My foray into second hand stuff was Game Adx in 1995 summer (thankfully dead now) it's how I branched out when n64 got shaky into the DUO. 🙂

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted
5 hours ago, Gulag Joe said:

Neo Geo if you count it in the same era. I think they called it 24 bit, though it was the same era. Carts were like $200-300. 

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Yeah they kind of went there, some people did at least.  It's so gray area it's kind of sick though as it just is a re-pinned arcade board set so that you couldn't just buy a cheap game as an arcade operator and stuff it in the machine when they could nail them for many times more over.  It was like a Famicom to NES style PCB thing going on there, on steroids.

When I was wrapping up my collection, one of the last things I did was upgrade some of my CIBs. I paid a premium on some of them that were really nice, but it was an easy buy because my less desired copy usually fetched a good price/profit. Or, like Castlevania, I sold my 'first print' for big bucks (got tired of the game freezing) and then bought a really nice copy of a later print for a premium that was easily covered by the initial sale.

• Love 1