IGNORED

Follow along on Nintendo DS NA full set quest. New count Title 819 of 1768 43% Done

JVOSS

48 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

Correct.  the Metal Fusion had 3 exclusive and 1 base (ie no beyblade)  the Metal Masters had 4 exclusive and 1 base(ie no beyblade)

so a total of nine for just those 2 titles alone.  as for rom differentce there is none that i could find.  in the rom sets they are all the same. 

Another crazy cart that is a USA code is the Emma/Martine brand. they have the same code but different titles.  so this also goes in the "i don't know" slot.

Are the titles different when the game starts? That would be my final way to determine. Seems like Martine is the French version or Canadian release. 

1 minute ago, Mr. CIB said:

Are the titles different when the game starts? That would be my final way to determine. Seems like Martine is the French version or Canadian release. 

however they both carry the USA NTCS rating.  so this is where the "world" set is i guess. also i can't tell as both are unopened.  from what i can see on ebay they both have the same code and both have USA in the catalog code.

5 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

Yet on more to look at is the  New Super Mario Bros. two different versions of boxes.  on is red/white other clear/white as i don't have original i have to wonder if the carts are the same.  any help on that one....

There is Black, Red and Clear. All 3 carts I have are A2DE

4 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

however they both carry the USA NTCS rating.  so this is where the "world" set is i guess. also i can't tell as both are unopened.  from what i can see on ebay they both have the same code and both have USA in the catalog code.

Only thing I could find 

9 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

As with any set there is no real way to complete everything. One of each game is fine with me and then you can add whatever you want to it 

8 minutes ago, Mr. CIB said:

As with any set there is no real way to complete everything. One of each game is fine with me and then you can add whatever you want to it 

aggree. however i have fomo on some games and when i see title change like this and like 999 then i have to own both copies.  just a thing with my collection.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Follow along on Nintendo DS NA full set quest. New count 764 of the 1759

This weeks GW - Ebay pickup for  NANDS Set. now at 764 of the 1778
MYST v1 was the ebay while GW game the a few game lik FF/HK and WZ with Merch.

Zhu was a pickup local.  it was a Sealed game but the side was open and i looked inside. just a sleeve for the game, manual and batters???  is there some packaging missing or is it just floating around in the box?

been looking to upgrade the FF4 so that was a nice gw bundle.20220325_211146.jpg.2e3a75b90447ebe41344254d53dd9533.jpg

Edited by JVOSS
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, JVOSS said:

This weeks GW - Ebay pickup for  NANDS Set. now at 764 of the 1778
MYST v1 was the ebay while GW game the a few game lik FF/HK and WZ with Merch.

Zhu was a pickup local.  it was a Sealed game but the side was open and i looked inside. just a sleeve for the game, manual and batters???  is there some packaging missing or is it just floating around in the box?

been looking to upgrade the FF4 so that was a nice gw bundle.20220325_211146.jpg.2e3a75b90447ebe41344254d53dd9533.jpg

It’s posts like these that remind me how much shovelware is on the DS

@JVOSS here is something I don't her anyone speak about when it comes to the DS (or Wii either) There are a lot of titles that have:

1. -CAN codes on the manual and insert which would make them Canadian releases. The cart is -USA or

2. they don't have any code on the manual or insert, have a different UPC, have both languages on the cover and the cart is -USA. There is a all English counterpart with no French.

I know people say they go for ESRB or North America copies all of which apply but I remember in my NES days the -CAN games were considered variants.

Would like your opinion on this because I've been stumped.

Edited by Mr. CIB

3 hours ago, Mr. CIB said:

@JVOSS here is something I don't her anyone speak about when it comes to the DS (or Wii either) There are a lot of titles that have:

1. -CAN codes on the manual and insert which would make them Canadian releases. The cart is -USA or

2. they don't have any code on the manual or insert, have a different UPC, have both languages on the cover and the cart is -USA. There is a all English counterpart with no French.

I know people say they go for ESRB or North America copies all of which apply but I remember in my NES days the -CAN games were considered variants.

Would like your opinion on this because I've been stumped.

@Mr. CIBwow that is a tough one.  in one since i want to say it not a concern. However there is a side of me that was to just scream. 

Here is my thought for what it is worth. 

1.   I like to call this the base set.  by my definition:  A base set is all the game that are original to that region.  for example.  will use New Super Mario Bros.  (we have talked about this a time or two).  In the base set i would/will include only cart that have a catalog code for that region.  ie NTR-AD4A-USA.  for all instance the cart is a USA cart just because of the -USA.  now then if say a person is doing just carts only this would be the end of the discussion.   How ever if your a cib person the it's just getting started.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JVOSS said:

@Mr. CIBwow that is a tough one.  in one since i want to say it not a concern. However there is a side of me that was to just scream. 

Here is my thought for what it is worth. 

1.   I like to call this the base set.  by my definition:  A base set is all the game that are original to that region.  for example.  will use New Super Mario Bros.  (we have talked about this a time or two).  In the base set i would/will include only cart that have a catalog code for that region.  ie NTR-AD4A-USA.  for all instance the cart is a USA cart just because of the -USA.  now then if say a person is doing just carts only this would be the end of the discussion.   How ever if your a cib person the it's just getting started.

@Mr. CIBhere is more thought. 

The CIB person will need to think about the Manual/Cart/Box in terms of sub categories but not really variants.  for examples i will be using here is the Pokemon side.  Most if not all Pokemon collectors will want the USA only as this will bring the most monies but for a NA Collector they might not care about the fact that the pokemon is a USA/French/Canada version also long as they Have the ESRB,.   As for a Variant collector the French/Canada CIB will be a Sub Set but not a variant.  Then a NA collector will want the insert to this French/Canada and treat it as a standalone game. 

Where do i sit on this well i have to go to what i know purest.  for me the cart must match the case art...  that means on the case next to the barcode must match the cart code that is in the box. it then mark it the CIB in my works sheet as a collectible for now.  keeping the knowledge that there is a possible different case for the game. Funding is limiting the full exploration of the cib variant/difference.  but i will if the case presented itself pickup a few extras for comparison. 

hope this helps.  in short a -CAN cart is in a region set not a variant of the -USA set.   A CIB that has both type of instructions but has the cart code of USA it is a USA CIB with an extra manual for the French.

I will differently need to look at the data a little closer for a full comparison.  

Another way to look at this is the DMG(Gameboy Carts) for example.  the usa tetris cart/cib has around 264 variants. now multiply that with 22 regions that number climbs to around 5,808 Tetris carts to have "a true full cart set" now take the number by the number of box variants then you are looking at what 10000+ combinations and that is just one cart.

• Like 1

@JVOSS Watch out games from Sega, Natsume and Majesco. They appear to be the biggest culprits with listing the -CAN inserts and Manuals with -USA carts. However, there are a ton that don't list the code on the front but have French text under the ESRB logo and on the back of the insert. For example Arkanoid by Taito...... NTR P YAAE is the code next to the UPC..... its the same on the cart but adding -USA but there is a English/French cover and a pure English cover.

For me personally I am going to purge all of the -CAN inserts/manuals and swap them for -USA. I haven't seen any -CAN carts. I am on the fence about getting rid of the ones that don't list the code because in some cases (usually later prints) the English/French is the only printing. I probably will never get that deep into DS collecting but for the future scholars this will be something fun to track.  

1 hour ago, Mr. CIB said:

@JVOSS Watch out games from Sega, Natsume and Majesco. They appear to be the biggest culprits with listing the -CAN inserts and Manuals with -USA carts. However, there are a ton that don't list the code on the front but have French text under the ESRB logo and on the back of the insert. For example Arkanoid by Taito...... NTR P YAAE is the code next to the UPC..... its the same on the cart but adding -USA but there is a English/French cover and a pure English cover.

For me personally I am going to purge all of the -CAN inserts/manuals and swap them for -USA. I haven't seen any -CAN carts. I am on the fence about getting rid of the ones that don't list the code because in some cases (usually later prints) the English/French is the only printing. I probably will never get that deep into DS collecting but for the future scholars this will be something fun to track.  

@Mr. CIBthat is curious about not seeing a -can cart.  the RUNE Factory i have shown is a -CAN version.  I was not paying attention to that when i picked it up and sad once i started to catalog it. However the price was so so low i could not pass it up.  As this was just the cart only buy and it was mixed in with a few others i just assumed it was a -USA because of the ESRB code.

Now because of this i have to really look at the carts even more closely.  i have noticed that others have this same ESRB but are of another region. 

Will i chase this type of cart maybe.  but as of right now i have to just catalog what i can find and hopely find a few people that are willing to share/help catalog this type of fun items.. 

I almost want to call this a variant but i can't not just yet.  more research is needed before i can call it a variant.  like looking for a cib or the corresponding box

NTR-ARFE-CAN.thumb.jpg.8d3e22168c700881c75858c7d9c0bb04.jpg

as for this being a Sega, Natsume and Majesco, you have to through in Nintendo of America because they also do the Latina America/Mexico cart/variants and they don't use the -LTA region code..    

Edited by JVOSS

6 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

@Mr. CIBthat is curious about not seeing a -can cart.  the RUNE Factory 2 i have and have shown is a -CAN version.  I was not paying attention to that when i picked it up and sad once i started to catalog it for the price was so so low.  As this was just the cart only buy and it was mixed in with a few others i just assumed it was a -USA because of the ESRB code.

Now because of this i have to really look at the carts even more closely.  i have noticed that others have this same ESRB but are of another region. 

Will i chase this type of cart maybe.  but as of right now i have to just catalog what i can find and hopely find a few people that are willing to share/help catalog this type of fun items.. 

I almost want to call this a variant but i can't not just yet.  more research is needed before i can call it a variant.  like looking for a cib or the corresponding box

NTR-ARFE-CAN.thumb.jpg.8d3e22168c700881c75858c7d9c0bb04.jpg

as for this being a Sega, Natsume and Majesco, you have to through in Nintendo of America because they also do the Latina America/Mexico cart/variants and they don't use the -LTA region code..    

thanks for sharing. I have a few -CAN inserts/manuals but all -USA carts… strange but stuff like this keeps it interesting. I have to go back thru all my DS games now and check. 

5 hours ago, Mr. CIB said:

thanks for sharing. I have a few -CAN inserts/manuals but all -USA carts… strange but stuff like this keeps it interesting. I have to go back thru all my DS games now and check. 

@Mr. CIByep it keep is all crazy and fun.  that is what slowed me down on the world DMG carts.  i keep running in to variables that are not planed. 

The weeks additions: 

all picked up at GW.  managed to upgrad my Flower Sun and Rain. so if any one want one let me know...

now have to look for some manual as the SBK and Lioner Trains on Track did not come with one.

Playing My World My Way now need a book and case but will upgrade much later or if someone has on then let me know.

had an oddball come in late last night Pokemon Sun 3DS so have to get rid of.  🤣..

20220401_171648.jpg.7d2e765d5b090249cfae23bf0d03f3ac.jpg20220401_171725.jpg.73472aa9fe3c5945cbc321716068ff3e.jpg 

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Follow along on Nintendo DS NA full set quest. New count 777 of the 1759
1 hour ago, JVOSS said:

The weeks additions: 

all picked up at GW.  managed to upgrad my Flower Sun and Rain. so if any one want one let me know...

now have to look for some manual as the SBK and Lioner Trains on Track did not come with one.

Playing My World My Way now need a book and case but will upgrade much later or if someone has on then let me know.

had an oddball come in late last night Pokemon Sun 3DS so have to get rid of.  🤣..

20220401_171648.jpg.7d2e765d5b090249cfae23bf0d03f3ac.jpg20220401_171725.jpg.73472aa9fe3c5945cbc321716068ff3e.jpg 

Some nice pick ups man!! Sands of destruction nice! I too only have a loose my world my way. That one is a pain to find complete, especially for a reasonable price. 

3 hours ago, Makar said:

Some nice pick ups man!! Sands of destruction nice! I too only have a loose my world my way. That one is a pain to find complete, especially for a reasonable price. 

@Makari was about to put some monies in a bank to pick that one up.  GW just happen to have it as a BN what a great find it was almost as good a the Flowers ran sun. 

16 hours ago, JVOSS said:

@Makari was about to put some monies in a bank to pick that one up.  GW just happen to have it as a BN what a great find it was almost as good a the Flowers ran sun. 

Yea that’s an unbelievable pickup for goodwill these days. Amazing find!! I haven’t had a good goodwill or thrift store find in probably 3 years and the last best find I had was a loose paper Mario thousand year door. Certainly nothing like what you’ve found.