IGNORED

Follow along on Nintendo DS NA full set quest. New count Title 819 of 1768 43% Done

JVOSS

For most of my collection I tried to stay true to a single format, that being Cart only.  Generally they are easy and cheaper to get. As I reticently start the Nintendo DS NA full set quest, a few dilemmas started to cause me problems.

The dilemmas:

Single carts?
NFR?
CIBs

Bilingual
Single variant carts?
Single variant carts CIBs

CIB variants?

New/Sealed?

Cib variants with merchandise?

Much to do, as i have to either narrow my collection to carts only/cib/nfr or start a few different side collections (ie: cart/cib variants,  Sealed, or New/variants with merchandise)...

What do you  do for your collection?  Is a splash of some from each section ok for a collection?  or Is better to say true to one form or another?

What do you do with all the extra items when selling them cost more then the shipping cost??

Edited by JVOSS
  • Like 2

DS.... 1750+ games; it's a tough one.... below are my thoughts

Style: CIB preferred but sometimes sealed will cost the same. Don't bother with loose if you have the space.

Language: With a NA DS set it's tricky with language.  There is no complete list on US vs Canadian so any would be OK as long as it's ESRB.

CIB variants? I would pass for now.... too many games to worry about variants.

New/Sealed? Only if priced the same as CIB

Cib variants with merchandise? Skip unless you get a deal or it's something you really like. You can then add back NFR or other variants as you go along.

I don't mix loose into my collection unless it's the only way it was distributed. mixing sealed/CIB is fine for me.  

There are some top heavy games in the set but 1200 or so are reasonable. There are some VERY hard to find games that can take you some time to locate.

Best wishes on the set.... the time is now. In the last year a few titles have taken off.

Edited by Mr. CIB
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

Some good questions especially for a beast of a set like the DS.

One thing I will say is that try to make the decision early on to save yourself time, frustration and money. If you're going CIB define exactly what CIB means to you. Is it just cart, instructions and box or is it all the paperwork as well? 

Also, maybe start with one thing first and then expand in the future. I.e work on all the NTSC DS games first and if you complete that crazy goal look into getting the other region exclusives.

Just my 2cents which helps me stay focused in collecting.

• Thanks 1

I think the key to any collecting is to adapt. Particularly in a set where there are so many numbers and so many more variants. 

It’s ok to say, “space is getting tight, I’ll need to offload a few for now”. Or “bills are getting heavy this month, I’ll need to sell a rare one to get some quick cash”. I’m sure there are more scenarios..

Personally, I’m not into collecting any large sets because space is worth gold to me. Gold, I tell ya!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mr. CIB said:
5 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

The first thing I'd do is calculate the amount of surface area this is gonna occupy on my walls, and then decide if I can live with it 😆

i know right.  i had to take over and rename the wife's "she shed" to the "NDS SHE SHED".  has a very nice ring.  At least she has a place to relax and look at all the pretty designs on the wall.   😆😆😆

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

The first thing I'd do is calculate the amount of surface area this is gonna occupy on my walls, and then decide if I can live with it 😆

oh and the math is easy for 1800 NDS CIBs

Length (1800x6")= 10800"  or 900'

width (1800x6")= 10800"  or 900'

thickness (1800x.5")=900"  or 75'

or 1,728 ft Cubed

Weight (1800x6.4oz)=10800oz  or  675 LB

Lets see the standard book shelf is 20" x 11" x 71" x 5 shelve would be 11 book cases, Single row each shelf would hold 36 to a row 14.4 pounds to a shelf or 72 pounds to a book case for a total weight of 122.6 pounds per book case. 

1,348.6 pounds of Dead load will not require your standard floors to be reinforced but should you have more then one collection then you might think about the addition of Steel floor joists in your next remodel...

That's if I did the math right. 

Edited by JVOSS
  • Like 2
  • Wow! 1

The DS variants is a real black hole. I wouldn't chase them in pursuit of a full set. If anything, they seem like a distraction from a full set since you end up double and triple dipping on some real turds. 

Another thing to consider with variants is shelf real estate. A DS CIB full set would look really nice nearly packed onto a shelf. Variants and LE/CEs take away from uniformity. 

• Like 1

Hot take (though not a suggestion), go for cart-only.  I've always wanted to see a complete NDS set that was just carts. How big would that be? Sure, I could do the math but I'm a visual guy and I'd like to see how big rows and rows of neatly file mini-carts would look.

I've batted around that idea, but I have a personal hang up, which is if a game came in a case meant to be kept, I want it CIB.  So... Genesis, PS1, DS/3DS, Saturn and TG-16 games just feel like they have to be complete to me, especially the hot items.

But if space, cash and time are not an option, I personally think the DS might be one of the most fun libraries to go after.

Regarding variants, I know how deep and thorough you can go from our GB discussions.   Impressive work, but I'd fear that the NDS library (especially if you look for CIB variants) would drive you insane.  Instead, if you really, really want to hunt variants, I suggest narrowing down your selection.  Even first party titles alone could make one insane, but that might be a start.  Or, choose a publisher.  Maybe just hunt down variants that had special content for specific retailers.  I'm not sure if this happened with DS games, but I know I've seen special Target variants for Game Cube games, so I'd assume they did it with DS games too.  Yeah, those could be fun variants to hunt.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RH said:

Hot take (though not a suggestion), go for cart-only.  I've always wanted to see a complete NDS set that was just carts. How big would that be? Sure, I could do the math but I'm a visual guy and I'd like to see how big rows and rows of neatly file mini-carts would look.

I've always wanted to do this with the Game Boy library. The way I've looked at it is custom shelving rough 6' by 4'. But with how thin it would be, it would really only take wall space, not much floor real estate, maybe 2" deep.

As for variants, let's all just live vicariously through @MiamiSlice and his collection.

Edited by Aguy
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Aguy said:

I've always wanted to do this with the Game Boy library. The way I've looked at it is custom shelving rough 6' by 4'. But with how thin it would be, it would really only take wall space, not much floor real estate, maybe 2" deep.

As for variants, let's all just live vicariously through @MiamiSlice and his collection.

The GB sets (or all hand held games, for that matter) are really nice when space is limited.  I have a filing cabinet that has drawers that are about 3.5" tall and 10" wide.  It has three columns of 10 drawers.  My entire GB set, which includes ever NA game, my many variants, imports and a weak (maybe 50) GBC collection fit entirely in 6 drawers.  I also have one drawer filled with Game Gear games. 

My cabinet has been a God-send for organizing these smalls, as well as all of my game controllers and handhelds.  Regardless, even if your solution is to store your games in Amazon boxes (which is what I use to do) these cart-only collections for handhelds don't take a lot of space, no matter how crazy you want to go.

• Like 1

Personally having +/- 1100 DS games with some variants sprinkled in, nearly all NFRs and some other stuff, I can only suggest that at a library as large as this is, pick a way to collect it and stay there. Starting out one way (CIB or loose) and then flipping means you've gone and created more work because you now have to sell/acquire other stuff to make it all line up.

Also, this will eat up a TON of wall space displaying single deep before you factor in any kind of variants (and there are lots and lots of them). If you're not a variant hunter, chasing all those down will just burn your wallet and drive with things you aren't that deeply invested in now overtaking your life in numerous ways.

For example, when getting into variants, how deep do you dive? The revisions/name changes/publisher changes/special pack-ins/game+merch or do you start getting all the games with their insert variations for Canada releases... cause that'll almost double the library.  Oh, and don't forget those 'world' releases!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JVOSS said:

what is this?

If things haven't changed since the 1980s and 90s ROMs, some games have so little language or none, that they can just release one copy of the game and just package it on the paper side of things in multiple languages while still using on the interior the same title.  Old black box NES games were largely world games because outside of the title and like player, hi score, etc there were little to no words.  Often they'd all just be in english in any region, so you'd just have a world release, not a J, US, EU, ES(panish), G(erman), I(talian), etc copies.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 5:18 PM, Tanooki said:

If things haven't changed since the 1980s and 90s ROMs, some games have so little language or none, that they can just release one copy of the game and just package it on the paper side of things in multiple languages while still using on the interior the same title.  Old black box NES games were largely world games because outside of the title and like player, hi score, etc there were little to no words.  Often they'd all just be in english in any region, so you'd just have a world release, not a J, US, EU, ES(panish), G(erman), I(talian), etc copies.

Yep been noticing that a lot. the (i guess you call them "world release") just change the front insert but noting in the cart themselves.

8 hours ago, JVOSS said:

Yep been noticing that a lot. the (i guess you call them "world release") just change the front insert but noting in the cart themselves.

Yeah that's about it.

Go grab a old blackbox game and they're all world releases if I remember.  All you do is change the non-chip side stuff to fit the region, and you're done, as the game itself just needed one copy which is pretty easy.

1 hour ago, JVOSS said:

so it look like to me i just need to pick up a copy of each game that has the esrb rateing and ill be covered.  then after the set is done i go back and fill in the "world releases"  so now that bring the total to what 3800 carts about???

I don’t know if anyone who would go after the world set. Too many that are region locked. Be a heck of a challenge but from the financial side not sure if it’s money we’ll spent on a partially region locked system. 

Edited by Mr. CIB

2 hours ago, Mr. CIB said:

I don’t know if anyone who would go after the world set. Too many that are region locked. Be a heck of a challenge but from the financial side not sure if it’s money we’ll spent on a partially region locked system. 

oh i agree the world set is a black hole and a pitfall for money. if i understand the set you have the NA ESRB rating then you have world ESRB rating.  and if i read correctly then they are close to being one in the same as for the carts the only diff is the CIB/front cover...

that world set is what i was referencing.  (hope i read this right)

• Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 3:47 PM, JVOSS said:

what is this?

Simply put, the 'World' release for a lack of a better descriptor are NTSC region, Nintendo published games that were designated for a number of small markets  across the world (UAE, Saudi Arabia, Malaysia,, Singapore) and denoted so by a colored circle on the insert.  Games for the Wii/WiiU/DS and 3DS all got this treatment and games enclosed are standard US copies of the games, carrying the normal US product codes for those games.  The inserts carry unique Nintendo catalog numbers, their own barcodes and were distributed by a single company across those regions.  I'm not sure what manuals/inserts were packaged in the DS games, but the 3DS games typically just had a single insert sheet and no manuals of any kind.  The images below I pulled off eBay from THIS auction.  While I'm not super on top of the DS side of world releases (I remember stumbling into a number of Pokemon titles when I was requiring games post a split from my ex) , I've got what I think are all the 3DS ones, as I do a very, very, very gotta catch them all North American complete 3DS library (what it sounds like you're trying to figure out for the DS).

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by PapaStu
  • Like 1