IGNORED

What's the best flash card unit for TG-16.

RH

After a recent, failed attempt (100% my fault) at selling my TG-16, I decided to keep my unit and give the thing an honest try.  The only game I own is Keith Courage, which is about the only cheap one other than sports titles.

So, for the first time ever, I'm considering to get a flash card unit for a game system. So, which should I get?

I'd consider an Everdrive but I saw on MLIG that Krikzz has released some awesome hardware updates for everything, but the TG-16 which hasn't been updated in ages.

Maybe that is the best device, but are their others that are also notible and worth a purchase? Something better or anything?

Side question, for those that follow Krikzz has he mentioned updating the TG-16 card? If he is, I might just wait for that. I'm in no rush, but I do think this is the only console that I want one of these readers for.

55 minutes ago, RH said:

After a recent, failed attempt (100% my fault) at selling my TG-16, I decided to keep my unit and give the thing an honest try.  The only game I own is Keith Courage, which is about the only cheap one other than sports titles.

So, for the first time ever, I'm considering to get a flash card unit for a game system. So, which should I get?

I'd consider an Everdrive but I saw on MLIG that Krikzz has released some awesome hardware updates for everything, but the TG-16 which hasn't been updated in ages.

Maybe that is the best device, but are their others that are also notible and worth a purchase? Something better or anything?

Side question, for those that follow Krikzz has he mentioned updating the TG-16 card? If he is, I might just wait for that. I'm in no rush, but I do think this is the only console that I want one of these readers for.

As a lead in this is coming from someone who existed in two time periods of buying for the system, the later 90s early 00s for the US Duo, and then over the last 4~ years on a Core Grafx 2 (PC Engine) and for a time the Duo there too.  I feel it on the pain of the horrid prices, when a decade ago the NES started to crack it was the first 3rd tier system that took the hit, and it got hit hard and never even recoiled unfortunately.  I waffled for years until I scooped up the CG2 on ebay using a gift card for part of it no less, and it opened some doors.  I got in before the Japanese stuff started taking a bath, what I have a few hundred or so into is worth over a $1000 now, and what I did get rid of in the last 6mo or so would have doubled or tripled it because they're ruined too.

It's a great system, and I'd suggest to patently ignore any US games that have JP counterparts, as long as language isn't a stopping point.  But really most the B+ to AAA games never left Japan anyway.  If you wished to still get some real, buy in bulk and buy HUCARD only, they're so small, and far cheaper since the deep pocketed US guys who ruined the JP stuff now turn their noses up to less than CIB stuff so they can cost like 1/3 or 1/4 the price often.  If storage is an issue, a clear baseball card plastic box will hold at least a couple dozen on a 100ct.

Due to the prices, a year ago I caved and got the everdrive from CAG, got it branded as a PC Everdrive too. 😉  It's wonderful, fast loads as well as an original game, the menu while bare like most of his are, is fast, functional, and useful.  You can also look into translation patches.  Some games on HuCards have been translated, you can find them at romhacking and they're gems.  Sorry you missed out on the black friday 20% discount, but keep an eye out, randomly it does get a 10-12% off during the year as they rotate stuff.  It pays for itself instantly on any A tier game pretty much.

There is no upgrade planned he has told people of, and the firmware after a few changes was pretty well made rock solid too.  I don't know of any affordable other choices, unless you want to get optical, then there's the solid $400-500 range upergrafx2 from Japan and for like $300+ you can get the turd from terraonion which has some audio-visual problems on RGB etc.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

Well if he does that, I'd probably buy it and upgrade.  It would be a trip using CD games without the drive as you can get a good set of ISOs from that lovely archive online if you know what I mean. 😄  I wouldn't go nuts, but I'd at the least recover what I paid for in recent times or when I had the original good stack in the mid 90s through mid 00s.  Good times, just no longer realistic prices.

I’d always thought about getting a Terraonion because it plays the cd games. I know a lot of people crap on it because it is imperfect. But honestly I think thats just a few people in the community who can’t tolerate anything less than absolute perfection. For me, it’s good nuff 

Edited by phart010

Just now, phart010 said:

I’d always thought about getting a Terraonion because it plays the cd games. I know a lot of people crap on it because it is imperfect. But honestly I think thats just a few people in the community who can’t tolerate anything less than absolute perfection. For me, it’s good nuff 

I've had zero problems with mine, and it just got an update with a new menu system.  It's played every game I've tried on it.  The MisTer project also has a really nice TG16/CD core.

On 1/13/2021 at 10:49 PM, phart010 said:

I've known people with it, and seen the breakdowns on video and audio with examples.  It's not being overly sensitive in this case, usually it tends to be.  But the larger picture I'll try and sum up.  Before they had their own forum they used the worst gaming one online, the neo geo forums, and they used their staff as executioners of anyone who didn't kiss the ring.  This wasn't just the disruptive whiner types, it was also those who were 100% friendly and helpful, including voltaur who is big in the gaming community and he offered up a how to, schematics, part numbers and the rest to fix their crappy QA failing.  He was soundly trolled, harassed, and removed.  TO went on to not just make one, but two board revisions, ignoring the repair, or screwing up even doing that right the second time, and still didn't fix it.  They basically just gave up and left it glitchy, so unless you're good at soldering, they're peddling a defective product.

Since that time they moved operations from Spain to their current country, and conspicuously, they have laws on the books that guard against a lot of international action at the commerce level.  They're basically at this rate safe from having to legally repair, replace, refund by the local laws.  They could just pack it in and say no warranty, screw you, and that's that.  They shielded themselves from any future responsibility for their high priced products, and so far out of 4 items 2 don't work 100% right.  So do feel free to buy from them, just not directly, try Stone Age Gamer, so if it fails during their warranty you can get a refund or replacement.

• Thanks 1