IGNORED

Beat the Gamecube Library!

Jeevan

Events Helper · Posted
On 2/20/2023 at 10:21 AM, Reed Rothchild said:

Yes

program choice GIF

Sometimes beating a game on easy is the best way to play, if you seen the credits I am good with it.  Sometimes bumping up the difficulty is fun too!  I don't see anything wrong with it purists be damned!  

• Agree 2

• 4 weeks later...

Madden 06 is done. I took the Giants to the Super Bowl and beat the Colts on Rookie difficulty. Rookie is extremely easy. I was regularly scoring 100 points a game and shutting out the opponent. I'll play again on the next difficulty.

Here's Tom Coughlin getting Gatorade poured on him.

madden_06_small.jpg.4c8c60381f13a941bd3e7736fd878a6c.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

image.jpeg.c8589dfd3ad67dbb87aeebab6711a776.jpeg

image.jpeg.d051232971c00ba451bc123da37a71f1.jpeg

image.jpeg.e1476dfe1535dce9dc1f52958372cdd6.jpeg

image.jpeg.3c36dc3dc0036d53403ae31040aa45a7.jpeg

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell is complete.

image.jpeg.6923cae8b966a34b3eaa9d89a3f747f3.jpeg

Last year, I played through the American release (backlog challenge). This time, I decided to play through the PAL release for something a little different (not a whole lot different, but a little). I made use of the GBA Connectivity (which shows maps and guard locations, and beeps to warn you that a guard is nearby) and weapon that are exclusive to this version of the game.

image.jpeg.4884858abf4a62d216cc9018dbd0c455.jpeg

Guess I might as well beat the sequels (Pandora Tomorrow, Chaos Theory, and Double Agent) if no one else is going to. I've beaten those games before, and I know I can beat them again. Just hope I have the time. Took me a while to play the first one again, due to my busy schedule.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 3

image.jpeg.1df39d974316de21a29536a92d808def.jpeg

image.jpeg.823f0fe0e635275e07b88bcbaabac636.jpeg

Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow is complete.

Since first playing this game in 2006 or so, I've appreciated the many new features and improvements it has over the first Splinter Cell. There's the SWAT Turn, being able to draw your weapon while hanging upside down pipes, and whistling to get guards' attention. Night Vision and Thermal Vision are now activated by pressing a direction on the Pad, which is more convenient than cycling through them with the Z button in the first one. The GBA Connectivity from the first Splinter Cell is also included. I also like that Ubisoft added a section at the beginning of the jungle level (Kundang Camp) to this version. The GBA pic below shows a map of the added section of that level.

image.jpeg.951b7bd4b65c81e5f2925650e3b896d9.jpeg

image.jpeg.84fa12f12ef53cb79a0337b52a20c8bd.jpeg

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 2

image.jpeg.cfc564f1c8418153e7e1d328f635f462.jpeg

image.jpeg.f2e216b389ae1dcaff127055b40eafbc.jpeg

image.jpeg.725e24d5bdbc3554982afa66eccbda99.jpeg

image.jpeg.61bd9a2db83d462d8afc6c666f9f1bda.jpeg

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory is complete.

This is probably my favorite game in the series. They took what was great about the first two and basically perfected it. Sam Fisher now has a knife, which can not only be used on guards but also to break open locked doors. There's a new water kill move. If you stand in some water, you can grab a guard standing at the edge and drown him. The Pistol now has an OCP, which replaces the Cam Jam from the first two games and allows you to temporarily disable cameras. With the Cam Jam, you needed to keep facing a camera. With the OCP, you just point the Pistol at a camera and press the L button to temporarily disable a camera. You can then safely move past the camera and not make noise. The OCP can also be used to disable lights. There's also EMF vision, a.k.a. "blue vision", that allows you to see cameras and lasers more clearly, making it more likely you'll aim your Pistol right at them and not miss them with the OCP. The other big improvement is that you can save anywhere in a level, instead of just at checkpoints or after completing a level. By pausing the game and choosing the save option, you can start exactly where you left off when you load your progress the next time you play. There's also a Co-op mode in addition to the main Solo campaign. The game has both Progressive Scan (yes, I actually have the GameCube's Component Cable) and Widescreen support, and looks reasonably good even on an HDTV. 

As in Pandora Tomorrow, your goggles vision can be changed by pressing a direction on the Control Pad. This is more convenient than cycling through them with the Z button like the first game. You can also still whistle to get a guards' attention.

image.jpeg.e4fc9a85e71f087f43ac18b8cff3a985.jpeg

Amon Tobin's soundtrack is pretty much perfect. The music is so good, I actually got the soundtrack on CD.

image.jpeg.5f821db201c045be16c5671a01593664.jpeg

image.jpeg.6cf1bdbed124beaedf4276db161956b6.jpeg

The GBA Connectivity is included again, and it was updated.

image.jpeg.2a7248ca4566036357baa80ad3627779.jpeg

I like that Ubisoft gave the GameCube version a Collector's Edition release like the other versions. They cared.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 4

image.jpeg.b4af142de0e50fcc1152309705baa02e.jpeg

image.jpeg.08ac41b1136f0642e117ce0b476be6fe.jpeg

image.jpeg.11fd116a06fe8f7dd0fcfb7990cea593.jpeg

Beat Splinter Cell: Double Agent, so all of the Splinter Cell games released for the console are completed. Mission complete.

As expected, it is very similar to Chaos Theory. Most of Chaos Theory's added features, such as the OCP on the Pistol, being able to save anywhere in a level, EMF vision ("blue vision"), and a Co-op mode, are included in this game. There are, of course, some new features.

The first new feature is that, in some levels, Sam Fisher has partners. They can give him boosts (or he can give them boosts) to reach higher areas. 

Then there's the Trust Meter. In addition to the NSA, Fisher also works for the JBA (John Brown's Army) in this game. Completing primary, secondary, and opportunity objectives causes the meter to move either left or right. If it's in the middle, both employers will be neutral. But if the meter is closer to the left or right, then one of them will think you're suspicious. If the meter is all the way the left or right, then one of them will think you can't be trusted. If that happens, you'll have to complete an objective within a time limit and get to a certain area in the level you're in (this area is highlighted on the level's map, which can be found on your Opsat). Make it before time runs out, and you'll be trusted again.

Sometimes, the game requires you to make some big decisions. The decisions you make can change certain things. They don't just affect the Trust Meter, but can also change the story or make missions easier or harder.

While Double Agent is a good game, I don't like it quite as much as the previous three games. And, honestly, it seems like less effort was put into this port compared to the previous three games. The first three Splinter Cell games have Progressive Scan support and GBA Connectivity, and Chaos Theory also includes widescreen support. This game doesn't have any of those. There are no exclusive weapons like the first Splinter Cell, no added sections to any of the levels like Pandora Tomorrow, and no Collector's Edition release like Chaos Theory (the Xbox 360 version did get a Collector's Edition release). Despite that, it is still fun and a reasonably good finale for the console. In my opinion, it is the last really good game in the series. I even prefer this version over the 360 version, because it is closer to being like the previous three SC games.

There is a secret music track in the first level that is not in the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions. Check out my video above if you want to listen to it. Also, if you have the patience to sit through the credits, a cool video plays showing the game's levels and some of Fisher's moves. 

I have Splinter Cell: Essentials on PSP and Splinter Cell: Conviction on PC. I like those games too, but the series changed after Double Agent and those games just aren't as fun as the first four games. Conviction, for example, has less stealth and more action. Irving Lambert, Fisher's boss and best friend, dies in Double Agent. And Sam Fisher himself is just different in Conviction. But of course, I'll eventually play through those games as well. I've beaten the first four Splinter Cell games multiple times, and I should probably play through the others soon.

image.jpeg.771a0055beee3ab82a78a8cace89cf19.jpeg

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 3

image.jpeg.4d092761f636744125037933d1aeb2e0.jpeg

Taking a break from the awesomeness of the consoles' T and M rated games, I beat Piglet's Big Game.

image.jpeg.2314b68c21b97cc457acdfa23059b38d.jpeg

image.jpeg.4c609ec04f675488e36e24e30f34134b.jpeg

image.jpeg.22ca8c88a719fc4013f2b910ae3eca87.jpeg

image.jpeg.eedb12933f7bf42fb0b1ede5a78b6d13.jpeg

image.jpeg.e89b03b12a962a0ecc28850bb8b87e67.jpeg

image.jpeg.b5cf52124f4ee2d2a5c7a6b8e6063d8c.jpeg

There are cookies hidden in every area of most of the levels. As you can see in the pics, I got all of the cookies. The cookies are used as money to unlock different faces Piglet can make to scare Heffalumps and Woozles.

image.jpeg.f46f724f4256a50a3ea3c2ad3daf1397.jpeg

If you re-visit a level, you play a sort of minigame called "The Bravest of them all". Normally, when visiting a level, Piglet has to face his fears and scare Heffalumps and Woozles. When re-visiting a level, the enemies become afraid of Piglet and all you have to do is run up to them (but within a time limit). After clearing the enemies, a bottle appears. After clearing all the enemies and collecting all of the bottles, a message saying "YOU ARE THE BRAVEST OF THEM ALL" appears indicating that the level is complete.

So yeah, in other words, I beat the game 100%.

Clearing levels unlocks the games' cutscenes. There's also a Projector that includes some clips from Piglet's Big Movie.

image.jpeg.2deaed00912deada4cc94f4bc694632e.jpeg

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 3

image.jpeg.339afbbc5876640cb450fdc7dadf7b85.jpeg

image.jpeg.4485db01ccf6371db7c365cd8d2c4d43.jpeg

Beat Winnie the Pooh's Rumbly Tumbly Adventure. Thought I might as well. The credits don't appear after beating the game. The only way to view them is by going to the options screen.

image.jpeg.8fcafbc71fa8569785128e0c6eabf6ec.jpeg

image.jpeg.0cd02ac2a140692fc5e0331093d5e278.jpeg

image.jpeg.b9390024a6fba87a24497746e06017e6.jpeg

image.jpeg.e6059b7e89e42c4ecbed2b024c883f85.jpeg

image.jpeg.3f4eb7a4c54438a2d69015f8e2e46163.jpeg

Not surprisingly it is basically like Piglet's Big Game, except Pooh is the protagonist (like he usually is). Instead of cookies, there are honey pots hidden in every area of the levels/stories. I found every honey pot, as shown in the pics.

Piglet and Tigger are occasionally playable, and they do what they did in Piglet's Big Game: Piglet scares Heffalumps and Woozles, and Tigger sneaks by them without being noticed. Eeyore is also playable in this game (with Pooh riding on him).

image.jpeg.7f146f16d73c5063dcda8bab47f5784a.jpeg

Instead of having clips from a movie, this game has unlockable minigames. I unlocked those too, and beat the game 100%. Roo is playable in the minigame mode.

The game is overall shorter and easier than Piglet's Big game, with only five levels/stories.

BTW @Jeevan, the list could use an update.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 3

image.jpeg.5174764680bb1ae821f219edcff0b909.jpeg

image.jpeg.b054d81bd3a45e425d124e0263b8421d.jpeg

image.jpeg.28a11349f330a23305fbf4415c4d1ac1.jpeg

image.jpeg.4443cd31ba43d14b4b0a7963890a4e30.jpeg

Beat Wario Ware, Inc.: Mega Party Games.

It is basically a compilation of Micro Games from Wario Ware, Inc.: Mega Micro Games on GBA, though there are some added features.

There are several one-player modes that I needed to complete. First up was the "Stage Clear" mode, in which you play Micro Games from all of the different genres. The last Micro Games in each genre are "boss games", which are usually longer. One of the boss games is similar to Punch-Out!!, and another is a vertical scrolling shooter similar to games like Galaga and Galaxian.

Completing the Stage Clear mode unlocks the All Mixed Up, Hard, and Thrilling modes, among other things. All Mixed Up has you playing the games from the various genres, but in a random order. In hard mode, the game moves at a fast speed from the beginning and the games are played in a random order. In Thrilling mode, the games are again played in a random order and you're given only one chance to play as many games as possible (lose once, and it's game over).

Scoring 30 or more points (winning 30 or more games) in All Mixed Up mode unlocks the Time Attack mode. Playing this mode unlocks the credits. It doesn't matter how fast you are in the Time Attack mode; simply playing it unlocks the credits. The credits are interactive, similar to Melee. You control a space ship and shoot question marks to make the first letter of a name appear. The game keeps track of how many letters you shoot.

I've had this game in my collection for over a decade. I played it a lot the year I got it, and unlocked everything. I nearly forgot how fun and addicting it is. There's an Album section where you can pick any of the Micro Games, which are already unlocked. You can adjust the speed and difficulty, set new records, and there's a practice option. The games in the Nintendo genre include many of the best NES and SNES games, like Super Mario Bros., Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley, F-Zero, and Mario Paint (Fly Swatter game), and it even has some Game & Watch games. There are also some humorous takes on certain Nintendo games, like "Unexcite Bike" which has Wario riding a Motorcycle through an Excitebike track while avoiding the characters from that game (who try to bump into him) and "Grow Wario Grow" which has Wario getting a mushroom in Super Mario Land so he can grow bigger than Mario.

I think the gameplay in this game still holds up after almost twenty years (or already twenty years, if you count the Japanese release and the GBA version), and up to four players can play. The mix of fast-paced games and lots of humor makes it perfect for parties. The multiplayer mode even has a jump rope game that allows up to SIXTEEN players to play with the SAME Controller.

The game has lots of extra content too, like a Sound Test, Character Profiles, cutscenes, and music videos.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 3

image.jpeg.fca23ba69036934bbea3a6fe6bebc8bf.jpeg

image.jpeg.1ac605e64e66eeefc54ec1a5f7bdd186.jpeg

image.jpeg.25d6e6be1cccac8017b8c61ffc8c8e4b.jpeg

image.jpeg.3eb37eeb6c7653ae5e19a3a1daed28a9.jpeg

Beat Tony Hawk's Underground.

I still remember all the hype this game had twenty years ago. I read about it in Nintendo Power (still have the issues that I read twenty years ago), as well as on sites like Planet Tony Hawk and the official Tony Hawk's Underground site (which had not only pics and videos, but also a music player with songs not featured in the game except for one). The series peaked with this game, and many were talking about it.

The first major new feature this game has over previous games is the story mode (instead of a Career mode) that stars your own created skater (who is suppose to be you) going from a local unknown skater to a pro. Then there's getting off your board, allowing you to run and grab ledges and wires, or climb up ladders. In addition to having the Create-a-Skater and Park Editor from previous games (both of which are improved and have added features), this game introduced the Create-a-Trick, Create-a-Deck, and Create-a-Goal modes. You can also drive a bunch of vehicles.

There are also some extra things you can do in the levels for fun. For example, Vancouver (Canada) has a skating rink with a puck and nets. You can get on the ice and kick the puck into the nets (the game will also let you know that you scored a goal). Also, you gotta love the logos and ads spread around in the levels. Like a McDonald's ad in the Hawaii level that shows a BIg Mac meal. Oh yeah, I remember the option to "super size" drinks and fries. I also remember Super Size Me came out the same year.

There are eight main levels, and four unlockable levels. Three of the unlockable levels are from Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2: Hangar, School, and Venice.

The soundtrack has a whopping 77 licensed songs, two of which are unlockable KISS songs.

image.jpeg.efa20cf01932c4f087c6d8ecb95b8100.jpeg

image.jpeg.3222248a8afc32ad4e946f62a8dbce4e.jpeg

Besides the THPS2 levels, there's also another secret level called "Hotter than Hell" (love that this game is mostly uncensored BTW, which further proves that the GameCube wasn't and isn't just for kids).

There are letters in the level that spell "KISS". If you touch all the letters, a KISS music video plays. If you touch the letters again, the band will appear in the level (the level has a stage) and play "Rock 'n Roll All Night" complete with most of the things you'd expect from a concert (flames, cheering, etc.).

I think the classic Tony Hawk games are still a lot of fun. The graphics in the game aren't the greatest (even for 2003), but I do like that the game has Progressive Scan and Widescreen support. It also sounds damn good on my Sound Bar and Subwoofer.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 2

image.jpeg.0d94ba024b009cad876a8ef5031f8bce.jpeg

image.jpeg.de417a5ec0cb79b965402635316b4475.jpeg

image.jpeg.1ada909f8459e33eb9c3b88959714298.jpeg

Beat Tony Hawk's Underground 2.

As a direct sequel to Tony Hawk's Underground, it features your created skater (now a pro) entering a "World Destruction Tour" with two teams: Team Hawk and Team Bam. You switch teams on occasion.

The tour includes Boston, Barcelona, Berlin, Australia, and Skatopia, among others. Your created skater has his own set of goals, but they aren't enough to move onto the next level. You have to find your teammate (such as Chad Muska or Mike V, depending on who you choose at the beginning of a level) to unlock a new set of goals. There are also guest and secret skaters (such as Jesse James), some of whom use scooters, go karts, or other vehicles instead of skateboards and also have their own set of goals. Every level has an Arcade machine that allows you to get high scores within a time limit (the amount of points required to complete the goal gets higher with each level). The Arcade machines play sound effects from Pitfall on the Atari 2600. The high score list for Skatopia has a hidden message; the "initials" form a message that celebrated Neversoft's tenth anniversary at the time (their tenth anniversary is also mentioned in the credits).

All of the create-a-modes from previous Tony Hawk games are included. This game adds create a graphic. Your created graphic appears when you spray paint walls, or do sticker slaps (wallplants).

Other additions include Classic mode, Focus control, and freaking out. Classic mode has the same levels as Story mode, but the goals are from earlier Tony Hawk games like collect the S-K-A-T-E letters and find the Secret Tape. Filling up your special meter and pressing the L button activates focus control, which slows things down and makes it more likely that you'll pull off and land tricks more accurately. Pressing the Y button when you screw up fills up a meter, allowing you to get pissed off. Whether you're playing as your created skater or a teammate, their anger increases and they do different things depending on how full the freak out meter (like throwing their boards, or breaking them with their heads).

The game also has a large number of returning levels and unlockable characters. Some of the returning levels include the Warehouse from the first THPS, and Canada from THPS3. One of the unlockable characters is Shrek. I am not making that up.

The soundtrack has over 50 songs, including Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire" and Metallica's "Whiplash".

I didn't really care much for the destruction or the Jackass vibe the game has. And sometimes the game is just plain ridiculous. In Barcelona, for example, you throw a tomato at a bull and then it escapes its cage, damages part of the city, and leaves piles of crap all over the place. These things don't ruin the game or make it less fun, though.

Still fun after almost twenty years.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 is done. I want to like this game more than I actually do - it feels like it should be the perfect refinement of the formula of the first 3 games before they started to make much bigger changes to the franchise. Gameplay wise it feels good, and yet something always feels off for me compared to 1 and 2. The levels don't feel as well designed to me or as memorable, and the soundtrack doesn't do as much for me either.

It is still a good game and I wish it would have gotten the same treatment as the Tony Hawk 1 + 2 remake from a couple of years ago, but it also marks when my interest in the series began to decline.

IMG_4053.JPEG

• Like 1