IGNORED

can i use genesis 1/2 power supply/av on mega drive 1/2?

docile tapeworm

As long as the output of the AC adapter and the polarity of the plug match what the system requires, it shouldn't matter which actual adapter you're using.  The Genesis (and Mega Drive, I believe) actually runs off of DC input to the hardware itself, so you really only need to worry about delivering THAT to the system, regardless of where it's from.  The only thing you have to worry about with the differences of high voltage AC power is plugging that adapter into the appropriate type of supply.  Past that, since it's the simplest to figure out, your only real concern is what power is coming out of that supply, which can usually be easily determined by looking at the back of the appropriate adapter for the system and/or the markings on the hardware itself.

A look at the link provided earlier about AC Sega adapters shows that the adapters all seem to be putting out the same voltage and amperage required by the systems regardless of where they're from (there's some small variance of 9V & 10V DC with some Sega adapters, but folks agree that it's negligible since the internal voltage regulators take care of any excess voltage in that small a range).  So long as you're connecting the non-local system to a screen that can interpret its output (presumably 50Hz PAL via AV or RF), you should be ok using a US power adapter, again, so long as its output matches what the system is needing/expecting (presumably 9V DC ~850mA to 1A).

• Thanks 1

On 10/20/2021 at 12:24 AM, docile tapeworm said:

@darkchylde28 so will a japanese megadrive run correct hz on my north american crt? i just want to play gleylancer and other japanese mega drive shooters on original hardware. maybe that should have been the OP 😕 

Yes.  I believe they run NTSC-J, a slight variant of "standard" NTSC, but the actual refresh rate is the same for the two.  I think you really only run into problems and/or weirdness with Japanese consoles hooked to US TVs when you're trying to do so via RF, as US consoles will tune in "perfectly" on channels 3 or 4, but IIRC, the Japanese ones require something in the 90s or low 100's to do so, and are still often a bit fuzzy, as what they're outputting is actually somewhere in between the US channels being tuned to.  If you're hooking up via AV (or better), I don't believe you should have any such issues.

• Thanks 1