IGNORED

PS4 -- Collector's Thread

What are the "best" PS4 games to play? Which ones are great to collect and why? This thread is meant to answer those and any other such questions!!

The PS4 is one fabulous system, with numerous amazing and collectible games...

Obviously LRG has been BIG in selling collectible PS4 games, with games such as

Jak & Daxter Series
Shantae
Psychonauts
etc...

Screenshot-from-2021-09-18-20-06-08.png

But of course there are numerous other collectible games by various companies and more importantly there are just many fun games to play!
Currently I haven't seen many PS4 games graded, but I suspect that will be increasing in the future.

• Like 1

Future PS4 collectors will argue that only titles sold in physical stores should count, given how many online shops sold intentionally scarce games. That's before one gets into the Poop Slinger situation...

It wouldn't be a huge surprise if some speculators intentionally make and  "release" a few physical titles while holding back most of the production run. It wouldn't really take much money or effort, given how low Sony set the minimum print runs for physical discs. Some griefers might even do it intentionally to make sure nobody can ever get a full set of physical titles. 

• Like 4

Shoutout to all ps4 collectors!!!

agreed i believe the “retail set” and the “retail set + boutique games” should be viewed differently.

i gave up on ever getting a poop slinger, so it doesn’t bother me that a complete collection is a self imposed impossibility.

happy just reaching as far into the library as i can... for me by far the coolest to collect are the myriad of variants of nearly every popular title.

53CEB55C-F3DE-4BA0-9FC6-6E8B2DCD4E52.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Wow! 4
  • Love 1

This is no different than any other console.  A full physical PS4 set would need to include all physical games period.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with ignoring certain titles because you don't want to buy them, but it won't be a full set.  If you are going to design your own personal "full set," there is also nothing wrong with that.  You would just need tp specify what you set includes.  For example, you could call it a full US set, or a full US set minus limited run releases.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chaos Control said:

Future PS4 collectors will argue that only titles sold in physical stores should count, given how many online shops sold intentionally scarce games. That's before one gets into the Poop Slinger situation...

It wouldn't be a huge surprise if some speculators intentionally make and  "release" a few physical titles while holding back most of the production run. It wouldn't really take much money or effort, given how low Sony set the minimum print runs for physical discs. Some griefers might even do it intentionally to make sure nobody can ever get a full set of physical titles. 

7 hours ago, Driftwood said:

Shoutout to all ps4 collectors!!!

agreed i believe the “retail set” and the “retail set + boutique games” should be viewed differently.

i gave up on ever getting a poop slinger, so it doesn’t bother me that a complete collection is a self imposed impossibility.

happy just reaching as far into the library as i can... for me by far the coolest to collect are the myriad of variants of nearly every popular title.

53CEB55C-F3DE-4BA0-9FC6-6E8B2DCD4E52.jpeg

Agreed. Same with Switch. All the boutique stuff is a completely separate category in my mind. And I'm not saying that as a salty collector, I have no skin in the PS4 or Switch game. I just think it's silly to consider every single limited run of every single game as part of the standard set. Obviously people can argue the opposite until they're blue in the face, but that doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's just a fun hobby for me, so I'm not particularly concerned about what constitutes a "full set."

On another topic, I recently decided I'm going to go for the PS4 VR subset. I'm sure someone has a list floating around, maybe even on this site, but I haven't looked for it yet. I don't think the set will be too tough to get and it will serve as a fun time capsule for the first true mainstream, modern VR experiences. I really hope they find a way to make PS4 VR back compat on PS5.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 2

I fully agree with @TDIRunner that a full set is just that - a FULL set no questions asked! Call them "boutique" if you want but they are official licensed games with some selling in the tens of thousands if not more. Also, these games made by indie developers and released by small companies are likely the ones to be the most coveted. I'm sure The Witcher 3 and Dark Souls will eventually get a "re-mastered" PS5 release, but many of the indie games are a one-shot. Speaking of Witcher 3, I give up, @Driftwood what's the difference??

Your PS4 collection is amazing by the way! What are your favorite games? Is most of your collection sealed? Inquiring minds want to know 🙂

Edited by avatar!
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

I'll add this as well just to make it clear.  I am not saying that anyone has to buy any of the limited print games.  Everyone should collect however they wish.  No one should feel obligated to buy anything.  But that is completely different from saying that those game "don't count" towards the full set.  Anyone making this claim is just grasping at straws.  If the idea of a bunch of limited games that might be near impossible to find bothers you, then you are NOT a full set collector.  End of story.  Full set collecting is expensive, and often times pretty crazy. 

If you are trying to justify why some games shouldn't count as part of set because you don't want to buy them, you should not refer to yourself as a full set collector.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TDIRunner said:

I'll add this as well just to make it clear.  I am not saying that anyone has to buy any of the limited print games.  Everyone should collect however they wish.  No one should feel obligated to buy anything.  But that is completely different from saying that those game "don't count" towards the full set.  Anyone making this claim is just grasping at straws.  If the idea of a bunch of limited games that might be near impossible to find bothers you, then you are NOT a full set collector.  End of story.  Full set collecting is expensive, and often times pretty crazy. 

If you are trying to justify why some games shouldn't count as part of set because you don't want to buy them, you should not refer to yourself as a full set collector.  

253A0ED3-C058-46D8-ADBC-AFC3B519AD6D.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, avatar! said:

I fully agree with @TDIRunner that a full set is just that - a FULL set no questions asked! Call them "boutique" if you want but they are official licensed games with some selling in the tens of thousands if not more. Also, these games made by indie developers and released by small companies are likely the ones to be the most coveted. I'm sure The Witcher 3 and Dark Souls will eventually get a "re-mastered" PS5 release, but many of the indie games are a one-shot. Speaking of Witcher 3, I give up, @Driftwood what's the difference??

Your PS4 collection is amazing by the way! What are your favorite games? Is most of your collection sealed? Inquiring minds want to know 🙂

The difference was pointed out by @obnoxious

Its’ the words “and stickers” in the banner of witcher 3.

They are not all sealed but i probably have close to 800ish still sealed.

29 minutes ago, Driftwood said:

Some personal favorites.

B1F19E16-EF2E-4AEE-9611-563866064EF6.jpeg

I skipped quite a few of the big PS4 exclusives even though I owned both consoles last generation. I play primarily on Xbox and enjoy multiplayer with my buddies, so I never really had time for the Sony single-player games. I'm rectifying that now and I'll be playing Horizon very soon with the new 60 fps patch.  I'll probably wait 6-12 months to play the sequel, but I want to be ready just in case the original blows me away and I feel the urge to buy on launch.

Control is also on my short list. I liked Alan Wake and really liked Quantum Break, so I'm excited for that.

Any lesser known PS4 titles I should look at?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I skipped quite a few of the big PS4 exclusives even though I owned both consoles last generation. I play primarily on Xbox and enjoy multiplayer with my buddies, so I never really had time for the Sony single-player games. I'm rectifying that now and I'll be playing Horizon very soon with the new 60 fps patch.  I'll probably wait 6-12 months to play the sequel, but I want to be ready just in case the original blows me away and I feel the urge to buy on launch.

Control is also on my short list. I liked Alan Wake and really liked Quantum Break, so I'm excited for that.

Any lesser known PS4 titles I should look at?

You could always play control on xbox.
but any way you play... this game is A++

As for lesser known titles without knowing your tastes,its a bit harder. If you’re open to importing

aer, oure, ovivo

are all unique in their own ways

51215551-A12E-4540-AD23-E66600B150B9.jpeg

07B52F61-B192-4777-9AAE-B289E1DB692D.jpeg

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Driftwood said:

You could always play control on xbox.
but any way you play... this game is A++

As for lesser known titles without knowing your tastes,its a bit harder. If you’re open to importing

aer, oure, ovivo

are all unique in their own ways

51215551-A12E-4540-AD23-E66600B150B9.jpeg

07B52F61-B192-4777-9AAE-B289E1DB692D.jpeg

Yep, I've got a physical copy of the Ultimate Edition of Control for Xbox and I believe it was a PS5 PS Plus game as well, so it's all ready to go.

I'll definitely check those out. I've never heard of any of them and I like stuff that's off the beaten path. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 9/19/2021 at 11:38 AM, DoctorEncore said:

Agreed. Same with Switch. All the boutique stuff is a completely separate category in my mind. And I'm not saying that as a salty collector, I have no skin in the PS4 or Switch game. I just think it's silly to consider every single limited run of every single game as part of the standard set. Obviously people can argue the opposite until they're blue in the face, but that doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's just a fun hobby for me, so I'm not particularly concerned about what constitutes a "full set."

On another topic, I recently decided I'm going to go for the PS4 VR subset. I'm sure someone has a list floating around, maybe even on this site, but I haven't looked for it yet. I don't think the set will be too tough to get and it will serve as a fun time capsule for the first true mainstream, modern VR experiences. I really hope they find a way to make PS4 VR back compat on PS5.

I got you on the NA VR set list 🙂 

P.S. I disagree with you on the Switch releases. LRG and iam8bit has some of their releases in Best Buy. LRG sells games on Amazon and GameStop had a release.

Edited by Mr. CIB
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mr. CIB said:

I got you on the NA VR set list 🙂 

P.S. I disagree with you on the Switch releases. LRG and iam8bit has some of their releases in Best Buy. LRG sells games on Amazon and GameStop had a release.

Welp, put it on my tab. I think I owe you about 30 million space bucks so far.

And what kind of friends would we be if we agreed on everything? The boring kind, that's what. 😁

• Like 1