IGNORED

The Official LaserDisc Collectors Thread

SilverspoonGaming

I didn't get my first LD player until August of last year, but I just happened to pickup this model at a local Goodwill for $6 including remote.  This model was intended for use in a school setting which is why the remote looks so odd.  I only own about a dozen or so Laserdiscs.  Nothing rare of valuable, but pretty much all good movies worth watching.  

fkRIW2I.jpg

4jxFoEO.jpg

SugEWT4.jpg

• Like 1

The V series could be controlled by bar codes or a pc - so they could be used with discs produced for educational purposes.  I have this neat (and desirable) educational laserdisc that has the famous footage of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse on it.

IIRC that particular player was the first that could also play compact discs.

Be careful not to leave a cd in it - the earlier players with cd capability didn't have an override and if you put a 12" disc in on top of a cd the unit would fire up and the cd would score the laserdisc very badly (those discs whip around at a ridiculous speed) - such damaged lasers would still play - but I know several very unhappy rental customers (when I worked in a rental store) who wound up paying for damaged discs since we could not sell them as used.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

"I didn't get my first LD player until August of last year, but I just happened to pickup this model at a local Goodwill for $6 including remote.  This model was intended for use in a school setting which is why the remote looks so odd.  I only own about a dozen or so Laserdiscs.  Nothing rare of valuable, but pretty much all good movies worth watching."

I once got a pioneer S104 (a very basic player)  in working condition for a dollar.  No remote though.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tabonga said:

The V series could be controlled by bar codes or a pc - so they could be used with discs produced for educational purposes.  I have this neat (and desirable) educational laserdisc that has the famous footage of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse on it.

I had forgotten about the bar code part, but I vaguely remember reading about that when I first picked it up.

1 hour ago, Tabonga said:

Be careful not to leave a cd in it - the earlier players with cd capability didn't have an override and if you put a 12" disc in on top of a cd the unit would fire up and the cd would score the laserdisc very badly (those discs whip around at a ridiculous speed) - such damaged lasers would still play - but I know several very unhappy rental customers (when I worked in a rental store) who wound up paying for damaged discs since we could not sell them as used.

That's not a concern as that is something I would never do.  But at the same time, still good to know.  I like to know as much about my equipment as I can.  

2 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I had forgotten about the bar code part, but I vaguely remember reading about that when I first picked it up. 

We had one of the v series at the college I worked at - there was a bar code reader that either came with it or as an add on that would scan sheets of bar codes that came  with the educational discs that would allow you to jump to the chapters on the disc. 

You could also program a pc to jump wherever - that used the frame numbers on CAV discs to do it - so you could do it with regular CAV discs - I don't remember if you could access CLV discs by time or not.

9 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

We had one of the v series at the college I worked at - there was a bar code reader that either came with it or as an add on that would scan sheets of bar codes that came  with the educational discs that would allow you to jump to the chapters on the disc. 

You could also program a pc to jump wherever - that used the frame numbers on CAV discs to do it - so you could do it with regular CAV discs - I don't remember if you could access CLV discs by time or not.

There is a port on the front of my unit for the bar code reader, but unfortunately, I don't have it (not that I would ever use it, but still....)

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TDIRunner said:

There is a port on the front of my unit for the bar code ready, but unfortunately, I don't have it (not that I would ever use it, but still....)

Type of thing it would be neat to have if you found one cheap though.  I would get a Karaoke pac for my laseractive just to have it if I found one cheap.

• Like 1