IGNORED

Axiom Verge 2

phart010

I just finished Axiom Verge 2. 

It reminded me that when I started the first Axiom Verge game, I wasn’t too impressed. But as I progressed more through the game, it sucked me in. The little bits of story keep you curious and the progression of item discovery is very satisfying.

Well when I first started this game, I immediately noticed that it didn’t feel like the first game. The first game was on a very Alien planet and it really forced that atmosphere on you. This game had a very outdoor, natural environment with mystical ruins. I couldn’t get over that for a good while, but as the game progressed, I started to care less about how different the environment feels as I just started getting sucked into the story and progression. And they did provide some trippy alien areas within the verge, you just have to unlock those a bit further into the game. These verge areas really make me wonder whether Tom Happ is into psychedelics 😆

All in all, it was a great game. I had to go to Wikipedia and read through the plot of both games to get it all straightened out in my head. It really amazes me that Tom was able to single handed developer a game of this scale all by himself. 

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

very much looking forward to this one, the first game was amazing, especially when you consider that it's all done by one man. I will be waiting for the physical (Limited Run preorders open October 1), but it's at the top of my list.

I’ll definitely be getting the Limited Run as well. Usually I wait for physical but for this one I made an exception 

I downloaded it on day one, and beat it last week.  After that I went through and 100%ed it.  I need some DLC.  I love both these games.  I even re-bought the first game from the switch, and I'm playing around with it again.  Tom Happ is definitely talented.  He really delivered on the sequel.

• Like 2

Just finished it and did a quick summary review on my Backloggery.

Ended up really digging it by the end. I agree with everything OP says, except I instantly loved Axiom Verge from the get go.

Axiom Verge 2 is very different, yet very similar. I encourage anyone to finish it if they like exploration puzzles and atmosphere.

• Like 1

The whole “verge” really resonated with me because the idea reminds me of an idea I had while in college math. When we were learning about Laplace transforms, I would sometimes zone out and daydream while working on problems.

After understanding the concept of Laplace transforms, I had this idea that the (s) domain was like this other timeless dimension that you could actually send things into, (or just send your equations into). Then things could be manipulated for and endless amount of time and come back out the other end at the exact time that they went in. They would be manipulated in ways that would not be possible by manipulating them in the (t) domain alone.

Being a gamer, more than one time I just blanked out while staring at a problem on my notepad and the way I imagined this concept in my head was in many ways kind of like this video game. Basically the (s) domain in my mind was VERY similar to the crossing into the verge in this game.

• Like 1