IGNORED

Have You Ever Liked A Movie Better Than The Book

PII

On 8/5/2021 at 5:43 PM, TDIRunner said:

I have re-read it as an adult (JP and TLW are the only Crichton novels I can say that about), so I'm comfortable saying the novel is excellent.  The movie is also a masterpiece and the special effects look better than most movies made today, but to say it hasn't aged a day is a little misleading as some of the acting leaves a bit to be desired (not all, but some).  It was easy to miss years ago when we were in awe of the dinosaurs, but it sticks out pretty bad today.  

I'm with you 100%. I remember very distinctly how I felt after reading the book and watching the movie. I read the book at maybe 11 or 12 years old, and it blew me away. Probably the first book I ever read that I just couldn't put down.

I saw the movie on opening weekend the next summer, and it blew me away as well. I think we can all agree that the visual effects of the dinosaurs was incredible and something like nobody had ever seen on the big screen up to that point. Of course after that, I had to read the book again. Still great.

And then, several months later the VHS came out, and I very much remember being extremely disappointed with what I saw. I started to notice all the stuff that got left out of the movie. Obviously a lot was going to be left out to make a less-than-2-hour movie, but much of it was the stuff I really enjoyed about the book. All of the explanations of the science and technology, whether that was Malcom talking about chaos theory, or Dr. Wu talking about genetics, or Arnold talking about the functions of the park. The book is also much darker in it's themes and with the amount of violence, which I loved. For a long time I really wanted somebody to do a darker, longer R-rated remake of Jurassic Park, but considering how much everybody loves the original film, I figure that will never happen. We'll just keep getting goofy sequels.

I still enjoy the film, but definitely not as much as everybody else. The novel still remains one of my favorite reads of all time.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

When I brought this topic up my wife said Lord of the Rings too.  I told her she was nuts.  But you know, those movies were really good.

Yea the movies were amazing. The books are awesome too but 9 times out of 10 if I want to revisit the story I'm going to watch the movies, not reread the books. Tolkien is a bit of a chore to read for me. The Hobbit on the other hand I felt like a movie trilogy dragged it out too much and the book length was perfect.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AstralSoul said:

Yea the movies were amazing. The books are awesome too but 9 times out of 10 if I want to revisit the story I'm going to watch the movies, not reread the books. Tolkien is a bit of a chore to read for me. The Hobbit on the other hand I felt like a movie trilogy dragged it out too much and the book length was perfect.

I loved the LotR movies but I found the Hobbit to be nearly unwatchable.  That weird camera speed thing, the ridiculous use of CG, and the kaching cash-in unnecessary length killed it for me.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 8/5/2021 at 1:16 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

I only read half of Starship Troopers but I'll say that too.

I'd give a slight edge to the movie, but the book is a totally different beast and is awesome in its own right. Heinlein was actually a big supporter of militarism, so all that satire you see in the movie is tonally inconsistent with the book where unquestioning loyalty is considered the epitome of glory and heroism. It's a really interesting dichotomy.

I don't have any specific movies to add, but there is a legit argument for the LotR movies being better than the books. The books are a bit of a slog and one can only digest so many hundreds of pages of scenery before succumbing to boredom.

Edited by DoctorEncore

Blade Runner for me, though I do also really like the book.

Mary Poppins stands out to me as well.

No chance that LoTR fits.  The novel is a masterpiece.  I feel a lot if the underlying themes are lost in the film.  Movie is a good modern action film with some if the books' ideas but book is an unmatched exploration of what it means to create a mythology.  I can see why it isn't everyone's taste but it is unquestionably such an important book.

• Like 1