IGNORED

Starting a Game Historical / Preservation Society

fcgamer

17 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Yes it's that game.

A huge gangster here from the 80s/ 90s had come up with the idea, and (unless he was a tech-head himself, surely paid other engineers to make it a reality) a device that attached into your Famicom machine. The device runs special cartridges (like the two black carts above), they won't play in a Famicom without the adaptor.

But these carts all contain disk system versions of games, very special stuff.

As for the gangster guy behind this, he also was involved with illegal gambling and all of that good stuff, had paid off much of the Taipei police department back in the day, etc.

Finally got put away several years back, though apparently it was for illegal dumping of trash, sort of reminds me of a modern Al Capone story.

It definitely makes it difficult (and somewhat risky) to try to talk with some of these guys though, as there was a lot of shady stuff going on higher up. 

Damn cool story, and yeah that's capone level stupidity to go down for.  Shame, I'd love to get that cart if you were to part with it, but if it doesn't even work on a FC/NES then it's kind of just a nice piece of visual wishful thinking.

8 hours ago, Ferris Bueller said:

My little bit of research five years back: everyone wanted me to donate my stuff to them, no one wanted it on loan.

Have you come to any conclusions on why that might be? Don’t name names, but if there is any roasting to be done, I dont think you should hold back 🤭

I dabbled in the idea about 7 years back when I was right about to buy the two PowerFest carts. One from JJ Hendricks and the other from Rick Bruns.

Basically my research led me to say that it’s not in my best interest to go full non-profit since technically my collection will become public property, and if “the board” ever does a hostile takeover then I lose my collection forever.

Instead my idea was to open a non-profit and put my collection up as a loaner exhibit to the museum, charging a fee of $1 / year for X amount of years.

The thing is, your collection can only be entrusted up to anyone in your bloodline who is at the very most, conceived during your lifespan…meaning if you die at the ripe old age of 115 and your great-great-great-great grandchild is inside your great-great-great grandchild’s womb….then that’s as far as your will can go….even if they have another child after your death.

Once your great-great-great-great grandchild is born though, they can choose to do whatever it is they want with your collection (whether that is to preserve your legacy or not is up to them)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, phart010 said:

Have you come to any conclusions on why that might be? Don’t name names, but if there is any roasting to be done, I dont think you should hold back 🤭

Liability was used by almost everyone I talked to, which then equates to insurance. I get it, but at the same time everyone was real quick to let me know I could just give my stuff to them, which I believe is tax deductible, but not what I want to do.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2021 at 7:28 AM, Ferris Bueller said:

Liability was used by almost everyone I talked to, which then equates to insurance. I get it, but at the same time everyone was real quick to let me know I could just give my stuff to them, which I believe is tax deductible, but not what I want to do.

The company that provides the liability insurance we carry modified the commercial property clause to cover damage done to loaned artifacts under our control such as fire / smoke, and even incidentals such as being accidentally crushed or torn. Requires documentation from the hand off starting from the post office to the NPO, but is doable, and I've found not that big of a deal in practice.

Edited by Preservation Quest
  • Like 1