IGNORED

My friend lost his SMB virginity today!

fcgamer

9 hours ago, twiztor said:

oh, i totally agree. Zelda 1 is absolutely BRUTAL with hidden stuff. And the 2nd Quest definitely takes it up a notch. I don't fault him whatsoever for looking up hints. 

It's like watching somebody play Punch-Out for the first time. i know all of the opponent's mannerisms and patterns by heart, so watching a newbie randomly punch and get punched is just painful!

Totally, to be fair, I've forgotten some of the fast kills/patterns in PO now sadly, and Zelda, various hidden bits too, though vague recollections helps at least not waste more time bombing/burning than needed.  I try not to use guides on such stuff.

...and yeah they got Tyson a few times recently on night time talk/etc to do his old game, he got creamed.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 3:02 PM, fcgamer said:

Stuck in a soft lockdown, I invited my friend over for lunch and a gaming session today. This guy's about five years younger than me, grew up on Sega MD, then went to N64, before going towards modern machines. English guy, northerner.

My friend's interested in gaming history though, and he had never played the original Super Mario Bros. before, though he was familiar with how it looked due to all of the iconic pictures posted, memes, etc.

So he has his chance to shine today, and...well, my friend literally did as well as my father did playing the game back in 1990 when we first got our Nintendo. My friend barely made it to 1-2, then died at the moving lifts towards the end.

He passed the controller to me, I advanced us much farther bin the game with a stockpile of lives, then when I passed the controller back, same situation. He drained the lives until death, got basically nowhere.

We then decided to call it quits and went for pizza; when we resumed gaming, we solely did Sega MD and SFC, and he did much much better there.

I like that you told this entire story, but gave us absolutely no indication of whether your friend enjoyed the game or not. Is this a story about your friend or a story about you?

Emotion Reaction GIF

• Haha 1

Editorials Team · Posted
9 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I like that you told this entire story, but gave us absolutely no indication of whether your friend enjoyed the game or not. Is this a story about your friend or a story about you?

Emotion Reaction GIF

It's a metaphorical friend.  That friend that was inside all of us all along.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Emotion Reaction GIF

I'm honestly not sure what he thought. He's seen the game before, either screenshots or videos, so it wasn't entirely new, rather he just never played it before.

I asked if he thought the game looked a bit dated / old and he said he thought it did, then I busted out the Atari to show him the really old stuff.

That was the extent of it though, I didn't want to pry too much as this guy hasn't played any of the classics (he grew up with the 16 bit machines) for years, so I felt getting him over to play old games was somewhat of a miracle in and of itself, haha, maybe I should give my friend more credit.

We did talk about the SNES and Sega MD though, as we had played both. He grew up with the latter machine, and his thoughts are similar to mine on the subject, perhaps not surprisingly.

While the two machines feel comparable, aside from censorship details, the SNES renditions of games seem to be better than their Mega Drive counterparts; however, we both much prefered the music from the Mega Drive, it just feels a lot more raw I guess.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Totally, to be fair, I've forgotten some of the fast kills/patterns in PO now sadly, and Zelda, various hidden bits too, though vague recollections helps at least not waste more time bombing/burning than needed.  I try not to use guides on such stuff.

...and yeah they got Tyson a few times recently on night time talk/etc to do his old game, he got creamed.

Like I said though...they didn't have proper hookups/CRT monitors so he/they didn't really get a fair chance.

Well likely so, some flat panels have quite excellent low display lag values, not that the host or network would bother setting that up. Whatever is on hand they bought or were given as ad display is it, which means going into the final tier of boxers, let alone Tyson, would get downright dicey.  But losing to Glass Joe is a bit extreme even on a garbage LCD.

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Well likely so, some flat panels have quite excellent low display lag values, not that the host or network would bother setting that up. Whatever is on hand they bought or were given as ad display is it, which means going into the final tier of boxers, let alone Tyson, would get downright dicey.  But losing to Glass Joe is a bit extreme even on a garbage LCD.

low =/= none...and you cannot tell me with a straight face that there aren't games/situations where precision timing is essential enough that even "low" lag can make a difference.

Tyson would be one of those super rare cases, I'd believe you'd need probably to learn to deal with it, or at least fairly need someting under the 20ms barrier, because modern computer LCDs which don't have to be dumbed down for TV level stuff can handle it fine.