IGNORED

AmandaCathedral's New Collection Thread

AmandaCathedral

I haven't been on the forum in a while, and that's because my CRT TV died shortly after I started re-building my NES collection. I was beyond frustrated, and decided to go back to the system I was obsessed with during the 2010s, the good old 3DS. 🧡

The 3DS was a polarizing system to fans of many long running series, but the hatred was usually unwarranted. The 3DS library can most accurately be described as consistently average, and if you're okay with a game not being the new best game in a series, you'll appreciate the humble, respectable quality of most 3DS games.

With a little over 400 games released physically, the 3DS library is quite small despite its nine year shelf life. This makes the 3DS an easy system to collect for if you just plan to build a library of quality software.

As an appreciation thread, I'd like to request that people not argue over the more controversial games. The popular opinion of certain 3DS games will never change, but keep in mind that the hatred certain 3DS games receive often comes from franchise bias, rather than the games being as bad as people make them out to be. ☺️

So that's enough chit-chat, let's get to the games! Right now I'm aiming for first party software, and plan to save the first party remakes, ports, and franchise double dips for later. I'm also picking up third party releases if I spot a really good deal on them, so I'll split up the photos into first party and third party.

461493454_FirstParty3DS1.jpg.c16e6b6cc8159e75be7dd9d81ceab9d8.jpg

I no longer have the digital copies from my old 3DS, so I thought I'd build up a physical collection and finish the games I started. What good is a game purchase if you don't finish the game after all? 😙 I've only played a couple of hours of Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion, Miitopia, and Steel Diver, and I've gotten about half way through Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem. I haven't played Pilotwings at all, and all the others I've finished.

1483123979_ThirdParty3DS1.jpg.51973e8514a716145d4e741b3a921ca6.jpg

I've played a few hours worth of Alliance Alive and Dr. Lautrec, but other than that I haven't played these.

That's all I have for now! More games are coming in the mail, so I'll post about them as they come. Good luck to everyone on their collections, and I hope you'll follow along as I build up mine. 👍

Edited by AmandaCathedral
Title change.
  • Like 11

I had no idea the library sat around 400 actual games, not digital rentals, so yeah that's very approachable, even if maybe 10% of them have a price that royally ($100USD+) sucks due to provenance(Atlus always costly) or being a short run title perhaps too.  Why not, go for it.  That's down there close enough-ish to the 300~ of the N64 library.  I took the sorta-easy way out with the Virtual Boy with its short run, not that I didn't do some major work over a half year period to make it far cheaper than it should have.  That's what you got to do, find creative ways.  Buy bundles, keep what you want in games, sell/trade the rest for other games.  Repair this or that, rehab this or that, move it along, cut the costs.  It works, effort there sure, but it'll help.  And given how small most 3DS boxed games are anyway, not a big shelf commitment either.

3DS sits at this border where the games look and sound amazing, they're around the upper Gamecube) to mid-upper Wii(new3DS model) level output.  That level rivals and still largely exceeds the mobile phone/tablet stuff and most other download games these days too.  It'll age, but age quite well.

The 3DS Library is loaded with really great games, I would say there are at least 100 3DS games I'd consider "must play" (even tho some of those are remakes).  Even if you aren't into the 3D effect, there are just a bunch of neat games for every genre...most that you can't play on any other system - Kirby Planet Robobot is a top-notch 2D platformer, Mario 3D Land is a top-notch 3D platformer, A swath of Fire Emblem games that are some of the best turn-based strategy has to offer.  Bravely Default for hardcore J-RPG fans, a couple of new Mario & Luigi games (and a couple of great re-makes) for lighter RPG fare, some great Layton games for puzzle fans, MarioKart 7, Luigi's Mansion 2, a top-notch Zelda with A Link Between Worlds, and even some solid horror games with a couple REs and two Zero Escape games. Wrap it up with a heavy dose of Pokemon, and what's not to love?

Some games arrived during the week, and here's what I got! 👍

571194017_GameArrivals1.jpg.d0bd8e0b25a28e50a962e93d4be050c5.jpg

Miitopia: I wasn't planning to buy this game, but I played the demo and had a lot of fun with it. The game mechanics are pretty limited for an RPG, but it's such a charming game that I can set aside my need for an intense challenge. My main beef is that it refuses to end, and it's getting a bit tiresome. It's had some unforgettable moments though, so it's been well worth it. 🦃

Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn: This is one of the ports I was interested in, as the new Devilish Mode makes this a much better action game than the original. 🧶

Code Name S.T.E.A.M: I'm always eager to try an original first party handheld game! 🇺🇸

Brain Age Concentration Training: I didn't play any of the other Brain Age games, but the subtitle of this one made me want it. I have a really hard time focusing, so it was good enough marketing to rope me in. 🧠

Animal Crossing New Leaf Welcome Amiibo: I've tried to play Animal Crossing before and had mixed results. I can go through multiple sessions not understanding the point of it, but every so often I understand the appeal and just goof off. Most of the time I'm bored though, and I quickly lose interest. 🦝

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: I really enjoyed Final Fantasy Fables Chocobo Tales for the DS. It was a fun and impressive game, so I wanted to see if the portable spin-offs retained that high quality. 🐥

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse: I did play and enjoy the first three Shantae games, but I think the series is massively overrated, and I feel its alleged popularity is largely manufactured by media outlets. When you look at most forum threads about the series, people just don't understand why it gets so much attention.

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is almost unanimously agreed to be the best in the series, which is still not to say it's some sort of masterpiece. I enjoyed Pirate's Curse, but I'll never think about it now that I've beaten it. 🏴‍☠️

That's it for this time! I'll make another post at the end of next week once more stuff arrives. See you then!

Trimming descriptions
  • Like 5

A whole week's worth of games arrived in the mail today, so I thought I'd do an early post rather than a huge one at the end of the week. 🙂

179930261_More3DSGames2.jpg.31e10e4415f9c136319d12546a175c5c.jpg

Ever Oasis: I was excited to see an original game for the 3DS so late in the system's life, but I never picked this one up. I'll throw it on the growing pile of 3DS RPGs I need to beat. 🧚‍♀️

The Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds: I've never played very far into this game, though I know it gets good later on. The early hours are kind of slow, but I do plan to finish this one at some point. 🖼️

Layton's Mystery Journey: I love the first Professor Layton on DS, but hated the direction the series went in the second and third one. I skipped the prequel trilogy, but I took notice when this game was announced. The creators admitted that Professor Layton had become a ridiculous action series, and aimed to make a small scale adventure like the original.

I still didn't buy the game as the new main cast worried me, and considering there hasn't been a Layton game since this one, I have very low expectations. 🎩

Style Savvy Trendsetters: I bought this game mainly because I want to play as many first party Nintendo games as possible, even if they aren't games I'd usually play. Hopefully it's fun! 👠

Art Academy Lessons for Everyone: Similar situation to the game above. I'll give it a shake! 🎨

Super Monkey Ball 3D: No trace of this game existed in my memory until I saw it on Youtube and realized I had beaten it before. I decided to pick it up again out of respect for the world's most forgettable video game. 🐵

That's it for today!

Trimming descriptions
  • Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted
3 hours ago, AmandaCathedral said:

Layton's Mystery Journey: I love the first Professor Layton on the DS, but hated the direction the series went in the second and third one. I sat out on the prequel trilogy, but my ears perked up when this game was revealed. The creators of the series admitted in interviews that it had become a really ridiculous action series, and aimed to make a more confined and quiet adventure like the original.

I didn't buy the game when it came out since I was still nervous about how cringe worthy it could be based on the new main characters, and considering there hasn't been another Layton game since this one came out, I have very subdued expectations. 🎩🐶

I thought that was by far the worst installment, but if you don't like the plots of 2 and 3 it might be up your alley.

The Phoenix Wright crossover is my favorite, but it costs a fortune now.

2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I thought that was by far the worst installment, but if you don't like the plots of 2 and 3 it might be up your alley.

The Phoenix Wright crossover is my favorite, but it costs a fortune now.

Thankfully Layton Vs Ace Attorney can still be played via the eShop for $35.00, so at least it's still playable at a fair price for now. Same goes for Rhythm Thief which always seemed like a bizarre game to get such a bloated price tag from the pricecharting inflation racquet. It was a well known game when it came out due to nothing else being out for the 3DS at the time. If you're smart you'll ignore the crooks who have been ruining video games and just buy it off the eShop for 22 bucks. It's what I'm going to do when the time comes to re-buy it.

• Like 2

I've decided to only buy first party software moving forward, as those are the games I really care about on 3DS. I'm in the process of selling my third party games, and I think this will improve the overall quality of my collection. It also gives me a more clear selection of games to pick from while shopping, as well as a reachable end goal should I decide to go all out. I've already sold my limited editions and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, and I was able to use the money from those sales to buy the games below.

901712637_3DSTrades2.jpg.7cdf1672e04d196b5e7b56e0df9c6bba.jpg

Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World: I'm very loyal to the Yoshi series, but I never got around to Yoshi's Woolly World. I'm very excited to play it, but I don't want to start until I finish Yoshi's New Island 100%. 🦕

Nintendogs +Cats (Golden Retriever): I missed out on the Nintendogs craze on DS, so I thought I'd try the 3DS game. I am a little curious how the other 3DS versions sold due to the cover art of this one. 🐶

Fire Emblem Echoes: Tales of Valentia: The 3DS knows how to build a good remake from the ground up, so this was high on my radar. I'm still playing Fire Emblem Awakening, so Echoes will have to wait. 🦇

Metroid Samus Returns: I've been afraid of this game since I love the original Metroid II, but so far it's been a wonderful tribute that remains faithful and new at the same time. 🦑

Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido: If you love the ridiculous and creative touch screen games of the original DS, this is a great throwback to that era. It does something fun and addictive that no other game has done, which is how many of the best DS games were made. Pick it up if you haven't already, as it's a must own title. 🍣

Detective Pikachu: I have no opinion or feelings towards this game. It was a solid price, so I bought it. 🐹

Crosswords Plus: It cost eight dollars sealed, and as a sequel to CrossworDS, it's a "Nintendo series". 📝

That's all for now!  Hopefully I can show you the rest of what's coming for me by the end of next week.

Formatting
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I'd say the Etrian Odyssey, Dragon Quest, Shin Megami and Theatrythm games (among others) are better than many (most?) of the 1st party titles, but I also understand limiting collection scope.

The 3DS has a lot of RPGs that people like, but I'm not a fan of RPGs even though I enjoy some of them. I like games with more action where the controls do fun things, and I prefer when a game is shorter, but gets things going quickly. I'd recommend Steel Diver over any of the best RPGs on 3DS just due to my tastes in games. I like Steel Diver because it takes practice and skill to become good at, and things that were really hard at first become second nature as you improve. In most RPGs there aren't a lot of skill sets a player has to learn that become fun or interesting to control, and it's often just a lot of talking and menu management.

It's the end of another mailing week, so let's take a look at what showed up!

1862621752_3DSLoad.jpg.cc2e510972092706bd4e69f59aa4bfe1.jpg

Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS: My brother likes watching Mario Maker videos, so I'm actually planning to give this one to him. I think he would get more use out of it than I would. 🧱

Star Fox 64 3D: I didn't play Star Fox 64 until the 3DS version came out, and thankfully time has been very kind to it. Star Fox 64/3D is a small game that does everything right, and is a timeless classic. The remake is one of the best first party offerings on 3DS, and is a must own for any 3DS collection. 🦊

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS:  I've played this a lot since it showed up, but when I look at videos of the Wii U version, I wish I was playing it instead. If I ever end up with another CRT TV, I'll think about buying a Wii U to play some of the better games on it. 🐖🔨

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D: A timeless classic that people pretend is horrible for views on Youtube. Ocarina of Time is still one of Nintendo's most beloved games, and when internet trolls have been hating on a game for 25 years just because it's popular and makes people happy, you know it's something worth experiencing. Pick up a copy if you haven't already, and start making fun of it with the rest of the fans! 💗

That's all for now! I'm close to having all of the 3DS games I want, so I have big plans for next week. I'll be updating the original post to turn this into a general collection thread, and that's all the info I'll say for now! I want to thank everyone who takes the time to read through these, as it means a lot to me. I have a lot of fun typing them up, so I'm happy that people enjoy them. 🥰

• Like 3

• The title was changed to AmandaCathedral's New Collection Thread
9 minutes ago, AmandaCathedral said:

This is still a collection thread, so I don't think the 3DS thread is relevant to this one. At the moment I'm just focusing on one system.

What Reed is trying to say is that you can also share your collection in that topic, sans any additional details you want to keep in yours (here). 🙂

• Love 1

Oh! I didn't understand what he was getting at. Sorry about that. I thought he meant that I should have just posted all of this in the 3DS thread instead. 😅

Yeah! I'd be happy to put my top picks in there and so forth. I won't go into as much detail there so I don't derail the thread, but I'm always happy to share my favourites for those new to the system. 🙂

Here's a project I'm now ready to show off!

605510652_UltimateWiiU.thumb.png.a8b9458f1f71049da0c2e2a28d17795e.png

I've been picking up Wii U games for a while now, and on Wednesday I finally bought the console at a price I was happy with. I did own a Wii U briefly when it came out, but sold it after Mario 3D World came out. Now that the Wii U and most of its games are cheap, it's time to revisit the system and catch up on what I missed!

From now on I'll make detailed posts in the backlog thread, and mainly just show off purchases in here.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EqWL5tfSUjJIxrHQFLdPDRaMUhqf0HqydPSVRgcIqmo/edit#gid=0

The above link is to a list of games released physically for the Wii U in North America. There are some odd inclusions, such as the Limited Run Games print of Axiom Verge, and separate listings for Shakedown Hawaii's regular and special editions. It's a valuable resource, and something Wii U collectors should all have bookmarked.

I won't make a pointless little comment about each and every game this time, but what I would like to show off instead are the prices I paid for each game. (Which I guess is also pointless) The Wii U is a nice little system to shop for right now, especially if you have local stores that are eager to sell off their unwanted Wii U stock.

• DKC: Tropical Freeze: $20.00
  • New Super Mario U: $25.00
  • Mario 3D World: $20.00
  • Mario Tennis Ultra: $20.00
  • Captain Toad: $20.00
  • Yoshi's Epic Yarn: $30.00
  • Tokyo Mirage #FE: $35.00
  • Star Fox Zero: $20.00
  • Pokken Tournament: $15.00
  • Smash Bros. 4 Wii U: $20.00
  • Animal Crossing amiibo Party: $10.00
  • Loose Digby amiibo for AC Festival: $8.00
  • Pikmin 3: $25.00
  • Bayonetta 2+1: $30.00
  • Wonderful 101: $25.00
  • Splatoon $20.00
  • Rayman Legends: $20.00
  • Angry Birds Trilogy: $30.00
  • Mighty No. 9: $10.00
  • Shantae Half Genie Hero (Risky Beats Edition): $35.00 👍

I have more Wii U games in the mail, but once those arrive I'm pretty much done shopping for the system. The Wii U has such a tiny library of games that most people will have very similar collections. However it's a small library loaded with top quality titles, and its a system worthy of your money. The Switch has a lot of Wii U games as well, but not EVERY Wii U exclusive has been ported!

Let's be real guys, can you play Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival or Wii Fit U on the Switch?

Yeah, that's what I thought. The Wii U is clearly the better console, 700 out of 10 system, no flaws at all, definitely not a massive failure, paved the way for the future.

(Well, at least that last part is kind of true) ❤️

• Like 3