IGNORED

Sega Genesis Sonic 3 Legit Seal/Fake?

dyer

20 hours ago, MrMooseMoose said:

The main thing that threw me off in mine is they're so dark gray markings on the inside, possibly on the artwork inside, or on the outside or the case inside the seal 

Hey thanks for chipping in, they do indeed look very similar!

Mine also seems to have the weight, however the case and art look mint, so are we thinking retailer reseal? 

Can I ask where you sourced yours from? 

Edited by dyer
  • Like 1

mine was off ebay, but the sealed games that the one seller that jbone was talking about,  i remember him, i bought two games off of him, the sonic not for resale, and an altered beast copy. i definitely have questions on both of those, especially the sonic not for resale. (both seem to have the proper weight to them though, in terms of extras inserts inside, etc) the sonic 3 i bought was not from him, but does not have the seam going down the back like many other sega sealed titles. (and other sonic 3 sealed games) uhhhh yeah it could be retailer reseal, and not factory sealed. but mine with the wear inside raises questions which makes me think mine is retailer resealed. Not sure how that works in terms of trying to move it, or sell it. im tempted to send some stuff off to wata, but idk if i would even get the answer im looking for and dont feel like taking a chance in terms of investing money into that either. I also did the flick test he was talking about, and i kinda see where hes coming from with that. some of my sealed stuff that i know legit seems more softer in terms of the flick on the shrink and sound wise. where the ones in questions seem tighter and more loud with the flicking, if that makes sense.

• Like 2

I'm late to the party here, but I believe this is a re-seal or fake. Most Sonic 3 I have seen are overlaps seals on the back and there appears to be some fraying along the edges of the artwork. How's the cut? Is it straight along the edges, or are there any points where it looks like someone actually cut the artwork?

• Like 1

i would say mine is definitely leaning towards a re-seal due to the wear inside the cover art. definitely not fake though, its the same cut and everything is my CIB and box copy, and its heavy too. meaning more than likely the poster thats packed in there is in there as well. ehhh, maybe i will open it and do a video, im not sure how i feel about it yet lol

6 hours ago, ExplodedHamster said:

I'm late to the party here, but I believe this is a re-seal or fake. Most Sonic 3 I have seen are overlaps seals on the back and there appears to be some fraying along the edges of the artwork. How's the cut? Is it straight along the edges, or are there any points where it looks like someone actually cut the artwork?

No worries, thanks for the input. Cut looks fine on mine as well no fraying.

What's the story with the guy in Georgia? Never heard about that.

I have considered opening mine as well @MrMooseMoose. Given the info and feedback certain its a re seal just need to determine authentic or not and guess that's the only way! 🤣

6 minutes ago, dyer said:

I have considered opening mine as well @MrMooseMoose. Given the info and feedback certain its a re seal just need to determine authentic or not and guess that's the only way! 🤣

Yours look more probable legit than the one owned by @MrMooseMoose.

The cover art looks a different duller tone, but this could just be the poor lighting from the photo. Also, there’s some more wear or marks on his cover, which suggests a reseal is likely.

I have one more thing to contribute, but I need 1-2 days to go through some more of my inventory. Don’t bust open your seal just yet!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dyer said:

So I think something being declared a fake ends up like a $15 cost from WATA. If you're in no hurry and don't mind losing out on the $15, a game of this caliber is worth making sure imo. I am pretty confident it is not legitimate, but I have definitely been wrong before!

So in the Sonic 3 Ebay sold copy, there appears to be a "softer-type" seal and with a vertical overlap seam. In my Megadrive Warlock one, there is also a vertical overlap seam but the seal-type appears to be more the "firmer-type" seal. It's perhaps hard to tell as it's encased in the acrylic, but this is my overall impression.

In dyer's copy, the seal at the top looks to be very similar, just perhaps with a different material to the other sold Ebay one, and without the overlap vertical seam. So these are my overall thoughts on dyer's copy:

- could be an after-factory reseal

- could be a later print legit factory seal

- could be simply a variant seal printed in another country (eg. US vs Mexico)

I'm not sure why this is going on still, it's 100% reseal / fake / whatever you want to call it.  I alluded to someone selling a ton of fakes about 3-5 years ago and @ExplodedHamster was more specific saying some guy in Georgia was selling a bunch of fakes.  This looks like one of those and this thread can be done now.

Edited by jonebone

39 minutes ago, jonebone said:

I'm not sure why this is going on still, it's 100% reseal / fake / whatever you want to call it.  I alluded to someone selling a ton of fakes about 3-5 years ago and @ExplodedHamster was more specific saying some guy in Georgia was selling a bunch of fakes.  This looks like one of those and this thread can be done now.

How confident are you it's not a later print seal? Or a seal coming from Mexico?