IGNORED

June 2021 Read: Neuromancer by William Gibson

Neuromancer by William Gibson

spacer.png

Hotwired to the leading edges of art and technology, Neuromancer is a cyberpunk, science fiction masterpiece—a classic that ranks with 1984 and Brave New World as one of the twentieth century’s most potent visions of the future.

The Matrix is a world within the world, a global consensus-hallucination, the representation of every byte of data in cyberspace...

Henry Dorsett Case was the sharpest data-thief in the business, until vengeful former employees crippled his nervous system. But now a new and very mysterious employer recruits him for a last-chance run. The target: an unthinkably powerful artificial intelligence orbiting Earth in service of the sinister Tessier-Ashpool business clan. With a dead man riding shotgun and Molly, mirror-eyed street-samurai, to watch his back, Case embarks on an adventure that ups the ante on an entire genre of fiction.

The winner of the Hugo, Nebula, and Philip K. Dick Awards, Neuromancer was the first fully-realized glimpse of humankind’s digital future—a shocking vision that has challenged our assumptions about our technology and ourselves, reinvented the way we speak and think, and forever altered the landscape of our imaginations

• Love 1

William Gibson was the last person I shook hands with. In March 2020. 🤣 Neuromancer, you say?

gibson_neuromancer_front-smaller.jpg.c08ad096f1e5b7d5fb3934caa25be453.jpggibson_neuromancer_sig-smaller.jpg.5632d826da8870143fbd9c3f9a2e25d4.jpg

That's my copy - a signed true first edition, first print (this mass market paperback edition was released before either the US or UK hardcover editions).

It's a fantastic book! Hope you all enjoy it. Read it for the first time as a kid in the early 90s and was blown away. I would also highly recommend his more recent books, they don't get as much attention but they're all fantastic, especially the trilogy that starts with Pattern Recognition.

• Love 1

Finished first chapter and loving it. Sooo much is crammed into that first chapter that is very gripping. 

It's giving me Altered Carbon vibes. The crazy tech, body mods, and dirty city feelings. 

The wiki doesn't say much, but I'd anyone aware if this book gave inspiration to the more recent cyberpunk movies/shows/games?

Moderator · Posted
51 minutes ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

Why do male writers write terrible sex scenes. Seriously 

Reveal hidden contents

Let's have sex right after having surgery and are currently recovering with someone I literally just met

Don't get me wrong, women writers can also do terrible jobs too, but the most cringe worthy ones are generally men. 

Every sex scene I’ve ever read has been terrible, especially the ones that take over a book (stares in Patrick Rothfuss’ direction)! Be like Jim Butcher, write about the lead up to the sex and then end the chapter. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

Why do male writers write terrible sex scenes. Seriously 

Reveal hidden contents

Let's have sex right after having surgery and are currently recovering with someone I literally just met

Don't get me wrong, women writers can also do terrible jobs too, but the most cringe worthy ones are generally men. 

Thank you for mentioning this. I just read through the second chapter, hit that and said "skip". I think it's to portray the sexual freedom of the future, where primal urges are one of the last human experiences. And I understand it's Molly's job to keep him contained/entertained, so I understand it's purpose. But there are certainly more tactful ways of "say it without saying it". Someone should have told him to stick to techno babble.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, doner24 said:

Every sex scene I’ve ever read has been terrible, especially the ones that take over a book (stares in Patrick Rothfuss’ direction)! Be like Jim Butcher, write about the lead up to the sex and then end the chapter. 

Yessss, he does it very tactfully. We know what's happening, we are adults. You don't have to badly tell us he is giving it to her, lol. 

36 minutes ago, Aguy said:

Thank you for mentioning this. I just read through the second chapter, hit that and said "skip". I think it's to portray the sexual freedom of the future, where primal urges are one of the last human experiences. And I understand it's Molly's job to keep him contained/entertained, so I understand it's purpose. But there are certainly more tactful ways of "say it without saying it". Someone should have told him to stick to techno babble.

Yea I just skipped down when it happens too. 

• Like 1

I'm up to chapter 11. I really liked the scene where:

Spoiler

Wintermute was trying to contact Case, by making each payphone ring once has he walked past a row of them...

speaking of payphones... that just one of the many anachronistic references in this book which makes it feel dated, even though it's supposed to be futuristic. Same goes for the very 80s sounding arcades. And the visual representation of cyberspace is positively quaint.

So far I'm enjoying the book, but I do find it very challenging to follow the plot. There is too much jumping around to new locations. And it really throws me when he starts a new chapter in a totally new place with very little lead up. I've had a to go flip back just to make sure I didn't skip a couple pages. Nope. Just a very abrupt transition.

Edited by G-type
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, G-type said:

I'm up to chapter 11. I really liked the scene where:

Reveal hidden contents

Wintermute was trying to contact Case, by making each payphone ring once has he walked past a row of them...

speaking of payphones... that just one of the many anachronistic references in this book which makes it feel dated, even though it's supposed to be futuristic. Same goes for the very 80s sounding arcades. And the visual representation of cyberspace is positively quaint.

So far I'm enjoying the book, but I do find it very challenging to follow the plot. There is too much jumping around to new locations. And it really throws me when he starts a new chapter in a totally new place with very little lead up. I've had a to go flip back just to make sure I didn't skip a couple pages. Nope. Just a very abrupt transition.

I've had to do this a couple times when turning a single page.

On 6/2/2021 at 5:40 AM, SailorScoutMandy said:

Finished first chapter and loving it. Sooo much is crammed into that first chapter that is very gripping. 

It's giving me Altered Carbon vibes. The crazy tech, body mods, and dirty city feelings. 

The wiki doesn't say much, but I'd anyone aware if this book gave inspiration to the more recent cyberpunk movies/shows/games?

Yes. Basically all of them. This book and Snow Crash are pretty much the foundation of the entire genre. No-one was really writing about this stuff before Gibson and Stephenson and Bruce Sterling. sf in general was still more or less rocket ships and aliens and computers that were just set dressing - the kind the starship captain talks to and then Stuff Happens.

Edited by AdamW
  • Like 2

Just finished the book today.

I think I appreciated it more than I liked it.. I appreciated all the worldbuilding and how it innovated this milieu of sci-fi (which I truly love).. It held my interest, but it was also incredibly challenging to read. Between the techno-jargon, the Japanese and French names, the abrupt transitions, the jumps to new locations, character perspectives, illusion vs reality... I probably only understood 90% of it and just powered through the rest. .. at its core it was a heist story that didn't really have any shocking twists, and the ending felt a bit anticlimactic

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Finished it.  While I respect it, and love how high concept it was for the time, man was that a tough read.

I don't know how many times I read a section and had no idea what was going on and had to read a plot summary online to make sense of it, but it was a lot.

3/5 on Goodreads.

I enjoyed Snow Crash a lot more, but will freely admit that I may just be too dumb for Neuromancer.

• Like 2