IGNORED

Picking Plants

Hammerfestus

Help me choose some new plants.  I’d like two big ones that would go in planters on either side of the door on the front porch.  I suppose those probably should be annuals?  I’d probably kill anything that had to be cared for inside over winter. Can I use plants that I’d normally put in ground and just not?

Also trying to come up with something that I can plant for privacy on the side of the back yard.  It’s a narrow space so something that grows up or fan shape and not out.  Not evergreen.  I like the idea of grasses.  Wife less so.

Help me mighty nerd army for I am idiot.

Edited by Hammerfestus

Mrs. Tabonga could have helped you on this. 

On the second need I would think a  perennial vine of some sort would suit your needs.   Mrs. Tabonga had a couple that she grew in a half barrel with a trestle that once established did real well.

Whatever you get check for what weather they need and how much light they need (or can tolerate). (One thing to keep in mind is if they are next to a building they may get some extra reflected heat and light.)

A trip to a nursery might help -  the people working there can tell you more about how various plants do in your particular climate.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Mrs. Tabonga could have helped you on this. 

I would think a  perennial vine of some sort would suit your needs.   Mrs. Tabonga had a couple that she grew in a half barrel with a trestle that once established did real well.

Whatever you get check for what weather they need and how much light they need (or can tolerate). (One thing to keep in mind is if they are next to a building they may get some extra reflected heat and light.)

A trip to a nursery might help -  the people working there can tell you more about how various plants do in your particular climate.

I was actually thinking a vine kind of thing might be nice.  Glad someone else thought it was a good idea.  
I’ll have to hit up my local nursery.  They’re always super helpful.  I went to the giant warehouse type deal today and it was just too much too much.  Thought you guys might have some thoughts.  Thanks.

8 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

I was actually thinking a vine kind of thing might be nice.  Glad someone else thought it was a good idea.  
I’ll have to hit up my local nursery.  They’re always super helpful.  I went to the giant warehouse type deal today and it was just too much too much.  Thought you guys might have some thoughts.  Thanks.

Most of the time the warehouses (such as Lowe's and Home Depot) just don't have the in depth selection and/or knowledge a good nursery will have.

Depending on what your state laws are hemp plants (with very minimal thc) are hardy, bushy, grow fast and I think are pretty decorative.

• Haha 3

Here’s a few that I think look great:

Monstera deliciosa

English box with topiary

Jasmine

Lemon scented conifer

Basically any ferns

Golden flame

Pride of Madeira 

English vine (don’t let it in the garden though it will get out of control)

In terms of privacy hedge, conifers are the best because they’re dense and most are fast growing.

I use cupressus leighton and English box. Lily Pilly is also meant to be good.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Most of the time the warehouses (such as Lowe's and Home Depot) just don't have the in depth selection and/or knowledge a good nursery will have.

Depending on what your state laws are hemp plants (with very minimal thc) are hardy, bushy, grow fast and I think are pretty decorative.

Growing Sesame Street GIF

...Ohio 😢 

Edited by Hammerfestus
  • Haha 1

For your privacy plant, many people around here have Rhododendron bushes between properties. Im not much of a gardener so I don’t know if they are specific to a climate or not but its an idea. They flower also

https://www.google.com/search?q=rhododendron&client=safari&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjtiaK44tHwAhVSiuAKHUTkC4AQ_AUoAXoECAIQAQ&biw=375&bih=553

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

For your privacy plant, many people around here have Rhododendron bushes between properties. Im not much of a gardener so I don’t know if they are specific to a climate or not but its an idea. They flower also

https://www.google.com/search?q=rhododendron&client=safari&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjtiaK44tHwAhVSiuAKHUTkC4AQ_AUoAXoECAIQAQ&biw=375&bih=553

45 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I was actually looking at Rhododendron today.  Very pretty.  Worried about bushiness factor.  Need something tall and narrow because they’re going in a spot that’s maybe 15 ft wide and there’s a 6 foot fence so I’d be looking for something that’ll get to like 10-15ft without completely blocking that pathway. 

The most important questions are how much sun does the spot get (what direction does it face?)

And what usda zone are you in, as that will determine your plant hardiness in winter. 

Tons of people buy run out and buy expensive maples and stuff like that just to have them destroyed over winter. Dont buy anything until you figure that out

13 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

The most important questions are how much sun does the spot get (what direction does it face?)

And what usda zone are you in, as that will determine your plant hardiness in winter. 

Tons of people buy run out and buy expensive maples and stuff like that just to have them destroyed over winter. Dont buy anything until you figure that out

Full sun all day.  It’s on the south side.  I’m in zone  6 so I don’t get to do any of the cool warm weather plants.  

Just now, Hammerfestus said:

Full sun all day.  It’s on the south side.  I’m in zone  6 so I don’t get to do any of the cool warm weather plants.  

You need a conifer/evergreen then. You can get away with a hardy deciduous, but it is going to be limited to an elm. Junipers, spruce, pine are good conifers. Just dont plant too close to foundation. 

A couple of these might work for your side area:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Deckorators-Common-1-8-in-x-48-in-x-8-ft-Actual-0-125-in-x-47-5-in-x-7-87-ft-Cedar-Redwood-Plastic-Privacy-Lattice/50280275

They also come in black, green or white.  If you can get a vine to establish (it may take a few years) they make an attractive screen that doesn't take up much space width wise.  You can cut them to size so you can leave a gap on either end or in the middle.  You can get matching trim strips to put on the edges of the panels.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

For the second one, just go for bamboo, fast growing, tall, etc. Guaranteed to give you privacy.

https://www.fast-growing-trees.com/products/black-bamboo?variant=13940797308980&gclid=CjwKCAjwqIiFBhAHEiwANg9szogBYLvYPQp3CfIoJp9lxaS4i2cEe9e6cfaz3P-EPeUwYZ3osD6BexoCN14QAvD_BwE

you‘ve got me thinking about it.  

• Like 1

I'm not sure how hot it gets where you are at or how much sun you have on your front porch, but we plant Vincas in our planters in the front of the house every year.  They will survive the 100 degree summers in direct sunlight as long as they get a little bit of water every other day.  You can plant them in the early spring and they will survive all the way up until the first frost.  They are not annuals, so you will have to replant them each spring, which isn't a big deal.

As far as privacy grasses go, we have a lot of that here.  I forget the official name, but it's basically prairie grass.  It will certainly provide privacy at it's tallest, but most of those types of grasses will need to be cut down at least once per year which means you will lose some of your privacy in the spring.  If you want year round privacy, I would go with some type of arborvitae.  You may or not may need a dwarf type depending on how big or small you want to go.  

On 5/17/2021 at 9:12 PM, fcgamer said:

For the second one, just go for bamboo, fast growing, tall, etc. Guaranteed to give you privacy.

The only problem with this is it's impossible to get rid of. There have been a few houses in my area that have used this and it got out of control. No matter how much they cut it back it came back and spread. It actually caused at least two people I know to have a harder time selling their house because the potential buyers didnt want to deal with it. Less of a concern in the current market as everything is flying off the shelf so to speak, but still a potential concern