IGNORED

Oh no... The contagion is spreading...

This was just spotted for sale on Yahoo bid Japan...

image.png.2c0f6ef834689723b9575ecf03bf54ee.png

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/q441764952

The SEALED/GRADED scourge has now left America, and is encroaching onto CIVILIZED LANDS!!! 😵😵😵😵

The opening price there is approx. 14,000 USD... Let's just pray to the many and varied Japanese GODS that the auction goes by untouched... I mean it IS merely VGA graded, afterall! 🤢 😛

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, OptOut said:

This was just spotted for sale on Yahoo bid Japan...

image.png.2c0f6ef834689723b9575ecf03bf54ee.png

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/q441764952

The SEALED/GRADED scourge has now left America, and is encroaching onto CIVILIZED LANDS!!! 😵😵😵😵

The opening price there is approx. 14,000 USD... Let's just pray to the many and varied Japanese GODS that the auction goes by untouched... I mean it IS merely VGA graded, afterall! 🤢 😛

At least it's just N64 but still...

Actually wait, no, I want a beautiful CIB Japanese N64 set too, this is really bad news.

Just now, Gloves said:

Lol I love the keywords, as ever.

image.png

If I'm not mistaken - Japanese N64 games don't even come sealed in the first place, right? And aren't these... pretty damn common? Like... I have one in pretty damn mint condition lol.

Yeah, in average condition it's like a 15 dollar game usually, and super common. 85+ VGA would be very easy to find probably under twenty bucks if you are picky sifting through the hundreds of copies for sale at any given moment...

Administrator · Posted
Just now, OptOut said:

Yeah, in average condition it's like a 15 dollar game usually, and super common. 85+ VGA would be very easy to find probably under twenty bucks if you are picky sifting through the hundreds of copies for sale at any given moment...

Surely the people browsing Yahoo Japan KNOW this, right? Like I might expect a few of these to fly into the hands of idiots over here in North America, but... over there?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

Surely the people browsing Yahoo Japan KNOW this, right? Like I might expect a few of these to fly into the hands of idiots over here in North America, but... over there?

The listing looks suspiciously similar to your average Ebay listing, at least the title and the starting price. The same seller has a lot of US stuff as well, including some other graded games such as a US Yoshi's Story. So probably someone with more experience buying and selling on ebay than Yahoo Bid, which would explain the unrealistic expectations.

As someone who browses Yahoo Bid a lot, you see TIGHT deals and fair prices on stuff more often than not. It is very common to see overpriced listings finish without a single bid, even if they are only slightly higher than normal. Apparently the words HYPE and FOMO don't translate particularly well into Japanese, lololol! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, OptOut said:

The listing looks suspiciously similar to your average Ebay listing, at least the title and the starting price. The same seller has a lot of US stuff as well, including some other graded games such as a US Yoshi's Story. So probably someone with more experience buying and selling on ebay than Yahoo Bid, which would explain the unrealistic expectations.

As someone who browses Yahoo Bid a lot, you see TIGHT deals and fair prices on stuff more often than not. It is very common to see overpriced listings finish without a single bid, even if they are only slightly higher than normal. Apparently the words HYPE and FOMO don't translate particularly well into Japanese, lololol! :D

Really this has just served to remind me that I need to make a big purchase of JP region CIBs regardless. I still love and prefer the box art over there, and wouldn't mind a shelf or two of even some duplicates just for the nice art.

• Like 1

I’d be surprised to see this take off. I would bet that this sells to a US buyer who things they’re getting a bargain (like that dude on YT showing off his common Atari graded games).

I’ve only just started collecting Japanese N64 stuff but I love how cheap it is if you know the right people or sellers. Only have around 10 games so far but the average price was $15 CIB per game haha.

13 minutes ago, Shmup said:

I’d be surprised to see this take off. I would bet that this sells to a US buyer who things they’re getting a bargain (like that dude on YT showing off his common Atari graded games).

I’ve only just started collecting Japanese N64 stuff but I love how cheap it is if you know the right people or sellers. Only have around 10 games so far but the average price was $15 CIB per game haha.

Keep going dude, Japanese N64 rules!!! You need any pointers, let me know! 😉

40 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Keep going dude, Japanese N64 rules!!! You need any pointers, let me know! 😉

Yeah I’ve made my list of games and surprisingly have about 100 on the list that I want which is over half the Japanese library, does that make it a 10/10 on the new console rating scale? Lol.

Looking to pickup another bulk lot soon and will definitely hit you up with some questions in the future.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Shmup said:

I’d be surprised to see this take off.

If people asked me, the guy who has actually been dealing with the Japanese market, I would have said that the price by itself sounds far too much like the seller resides in the United States. 😐

I mean VGA has stated that all pre-GC era Nintendo releases will get a "Qualified" sub-grade if the box appears to be opened or tampered with, regardless if everything else is new. I would go on about that but nobody cares. So there is that.

As for the price, a new/unopened copy goes for $195-$215 USD if bought by a Japanese seller on eBay. And graded, the best example has to be the graded GBC copy of Link's Awakening DX the seller I have mentioned is selling it for.

He has it for an estimated $628 USD, which is more than half than what is found on eBay. And his is a 95, bit a "CIB 9.0" for the U.S. holofoil variant that I am referring to.

But again... I would go on but I am giving into both my track record and experiences here. So if anybody needs any information, feel free to PM me. If you knew what I have sacrificed, you will know that is a better option.

Plus... The Japanese market has shown me that things like this are a super niche collectible there. It is one of the reasons why I opted to use CAS while I try to rebuild my sealed game collection. 👍

• Like 1

On 5/11/2021 at 1:11 PM, Shmup said:

Yeah I’ve made my list of games and surprisingly have about 100 on the list that I want which is over half the Japanese library, does that make it a 10/10 on the new console rating scale? Lol.

Yeeeesssssss!!!!

Glad to see that's taking off!

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

japan is not japan anymore

prices 4x compared to a few years back (thanks to gaijins like me buying there), lots of pirates/repros on the yahhos, and now entombed games, let's hope that because they look like mummified games, japanese people will never bite, but i have some doubts, stupidity is too tempting

the new shitty era is already here

• Like 1