IGNORED

Looks like a lot of this sellers NES stuff is fake except for the board and back cartridges

Let's be honest what I said the other day is about the only recourse anymore unless you're a buyer and therefore a victim of that fraud.

They don't care.

Why should they?

All they see is money, and they're about the buyer, not the seller, so until a bunch of active completed buyers complain about an individual, they won't do a thing.  It costs them money to do so, if they remove every seller with some sketchy item to downright illegal one, short of having some IP issue with a legal team making a threat, they won't stop it.

Right now I'm attempting to screw with a scammer on ebay right now, if you read the ebay shenanigans thread in the everything else board towards the bottom you know what I mean.  I haven't decided to far to rub the salt into this sucker, depends if what I'm attempting works out.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Let's be honest what I said the other day is about the only recourse anymore unless you're a buyer and therefore a victim of that fraud.

They don't care.

Why should they?

All they see is money, and they're about the buyer, not the seller, so until a bunch of active completed buyers complain about an individual, they won't do a thing.  It costs them money to do so, if they remove every seller with some sketchy item to downright illegal one, short of having some IP issue with a legal team making a threat, they won't stop it.

Right now I'm attempting to screw with a scammer on ebay right now, if you read the ebay shenanigans thread in the everything else board towards the bottom you know what I mean.  I haven't decided to far to rub the salt into this sucker, depends if what I'm attempting works out.

Exactly. They don’t want to do anything because in the end they make a decent amount off these items. If a handful of people are the only ones complaining then it’s still wildly profitable for them to allow these sellers. That’s why eBay is complicit in this issue. They know it’s occurring and they want them to continue selling so they can make money on these items. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nrslam said:

Maybe if the courts started holding executives criminally responsible for turning a blind eye to counterfeiting on thier sites....

There are plenty of raids for counterfeit goods at places like Flea Markets, but eBay gets a pass?

We have even seen Nintendo aggressively fo after people hacking and selling devices loaded with ROMS, but again eBay gets a pass?

Is Nintendo just not worried about the counterfeit cartridges and don’t see them as affecting their business includinf digital sales, future Virtual Console, mini consoles, etc... or is it a matter of time before they start pushing back against them?

Edited by DeuceGamer

I think Nintendo likes to bust the source not the shit peddlers, at least that is what I've seen quotes off and on spread over the years at times from their legal department.  It's a waste of expensive paid lawyer hours to go over some morons just peddling ROMs or whatever (ie: ebay, etc) but what works for them to make a good scare, to make things a bit harder (for a time at least) to get, are the people manufacturing and distributing the stuff combined.  If ebay stupidly started offering newly made boots, they'd have hell to pay then.

On 5/1/2021 at 10:27 AM, Tanooki said:

I think Nintendo likes to bust the source not the shit peddlers, at least that is what I've seen quotes off and on spread over the years at times from their legal department.  It's a waste of expensive paid lawyer hours to go over some morons just peddling ROMs or whatever (ie: ebay, etc) but what works for them to make a good scare, to make things a bit harder (for a time at least) to get, are the people manufacturing and distributing the stuff combined.  If ebay stupidly started offering newly made boots, they'd have hell to pay then.

Yeah, and in this case the source is snuggled nice and safe deep in Shenzen or wherever, FAR beyond the reach of simple copyright and trademark laws...

Oh yeah definitely, because the few that aren't comfortably hiding behind the CCPs wall of bs, the truly ignorant to try it, you'll see them pop up in gaming news a few times of year with a Nintendo C&D if not outright court case putting them into the ground and rightfully so.  I never feel an ounce of pity on any of them being that brazen and stupid, and yet it still surprises me the amount of dumbasses on usually the articles or some gaming forums/social media sites demonizing the company like they're the worst, not the scumbag.  It's like their tiny minds can't wrap around the fact, it's both stealing, and if Nintendo didn't care they may not even be around today if they weren't policing it.

I stopped caring about this years ago. I remember back on the NA days, "repros" were highly praised, with even a silly set of "rules" determining if it were "okay" or not, on basically a game to game basis. 

Although a lot of the modern fakes are now coming out of China, that's basically a moot point imo as it's just a continuation of the trail of fakes, started way back during NA times.

I had the foresight to see back then the problems caused by that sort of crap entering the market, the vast majority of folks didn't take issue, though now it's gotten to a point where I guess everyone is seeing what I saw back then. Though I've stopped caring years ago, it's like bad drivers, there's nothing you can do about it so I'm done getting excited about it.

For people now entering the hobby, I guess I can say just do the proper research before buying. It just makes me glad that I got most of my stuff before.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I stopped caring about this years ago. I remember back on the NA days, "repros" were highly praised, with even a silly set of "rules" determining if it were "okay" or not, on basically a game to game basis. 

Although a lot of the modern fakes are now coming out of China, that's basically a moot point imo as it's just a continuation of the trail of fakes, started way back during NA times.

I had the foresight to see back then the problems caused by that sort of crap entering the market, the vast majority of folks didn't take issue, though now it's gotten to a point where I guess everyone is seeing what I saw back then. Though I've stopped caring years ago, it's like bad drivers, there's nothing you can do about it so I'm done getting excited about it.

For people now entering the hobby, I guess I can say just do the proper research before buying. It just makes me glad that I got most of my stuff before.

N64 is in the middle of what you're saying.

The worst is when they post real pics, send a real shell and the board is swapped with the many many reprods entering the market

Edited by SealedWholesale
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, SealedWholesale said:

N64 is in the middle of what you're saying.

The worst is when they post real pics, send a real shell and the board is swapped with the many many reprods entering the market

Yeah it's a lousy situation all around

My feeling on it pretty much matches, why bother getting hot, wasn't going to stop 10 years ago whether it was copies or the NA trust fund of illegally selling numbers reproductions, still flooding fake stolen crap to the masses.

At least now it's to where despite people needing to still do their own research, a closer (far closer) eye is needed since much of it is externally 1:1 now.  Buy a couple dollar kit, or stop bitchin' because you choose to get into the now profit hungry first world of gaming with real period carts, so it's on the buyer to wise up, tool up, and use returns/bank extractions where needed from scum.

17 hours ago, Tanooki said:

My feeling on it pretty much matches, why bother getting hot, wasn't going to stop 10 years ago whether it was copies or the NA trust fund of illegally selling numbers reproductions, still flooding fake stolen crap to the masses.

At least now it's to where despite people needing to still do their own research, a closer (far closer) eye is needed since much of it is externally 1:1 now.  Buy a couple dollar kit, or stop bitchin' because you choose to get into the now profit hungry first world of gaming with real period carts, so it's on the buyer to wise up, tool up, and use returns/bank extractions where needed from scum.

They could do a lot to slow it, or even stop it. They could easily remove those that are reported even and simply go through and ban those that continue to break the rules. A time or two of that would make a point and we wouldn’t see so many posted.

With all that said, there is good that can come out of it. When unknowing sellers search eBay to see how much to sell their legitimate games, it can sometimes result in grabbing a game for cheap if you are quick enough. Not often, but I have definitely benefited from it a few times.

That would assume they'd want to remove anything reported.  They did, years ago, but they haven't in a long time because unless someone is a proper IP holder or some legal owner of the trafficked item, they just consider it time wasting and would rather keep scraping profit.  Good luck getting ebay to hire more people to remove listings they make money on.