IGNORED

PS1 Discs Black Label vs Greatest Hits Refresh

I have been sorting thru about 200 PS1 games that I bought from a closed down rental store a couple of months ago, and my wife asked how I can tell which disc onlys are Black Label vs the Greatest Hits variety when Im checking my inventory, so I figured Id refresh everyones memories here to save them time.

Black Label Discs - Full color

Greatest Hits Discs - Reflective disc with all black text and no color

Examples below vvv

PS1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

I know there are a few exceptions to that, but I don't remember any titles off the top of my head.  However, in general you are correct.  

Also, nice pickup.  I'm curious what all you found.  I would love to fall into a bunch of clearance PS1 games.  Were they mostly CIB or disc only? 

Edited by SilverspoonGaming
  • Like 2

Compared to the ones on Wii and Xbox where they actually added a big ugly border around the cover art other greatest hits cases seem classy by comparison. Even so, I still don't want any of them for the sake of consistency. I assume that's always been the main reason collectors avoid the GH games though I feel like otherwise I wouldn't mind having them, with Wii/3DS/Xbox being the exceptions.

On 4/4/2021 at 6:52 PM, leonemesis said:

I wonder who had the idea to make this GH label so ugly, I hate them ever since I first laid eyes on it. 

Everything to do with cost. Removing a full cover label and going to a simple black (or white) screen as 99% of GH games have and you've got the simple answer.  When the game has a top price of $20 bucks everything is going to be cost stripped when at all possible. It may not be much per disc, but that adds up when it's a large run of them.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Other than the ugly green spine/edge I didn’t mind the PS1 cheapie discs without color. The only time I put up with the green was the absence of better. Had doom and aliens for awhile like that.  Got rid of alien and the other a mind blowing miss stickering at half price put 15 bucks on the black label jewel doom. Couldn’t get in line fast enough for that. Beautiful disc on that too. 

On 4/11/2021 at 1:10 AM, PapaStu said:

Everything to do with cost. Removing a full cover label and going to a simple black (or white) screen as 99% of GH games have and you've got the simple answer.  When the game has a top price of $20 bucks everything is going to be cost stripped when at all possible. It may not be much per disc, but that adds up when it's a large run of them.

I meant the green label in the front cover, but my fault for not making it clear. The label on the disc I can understand, don´t like it but makes sense as a cost cutting measure.