IGNORED

story with GameValueNow?

glazball

I saw a few people mention this in another thread, but didn't want to hijack it.  Did GVN get bought by the same dbags that bought NA?  I love that site (so much better than VGPC) and a few years ago I even helped Rick sort out a few issues and errors with the Atari 2600 list (and a couple other consoles).  A buyout is news to me and I really hope I'm misunderstanding.  😞  Would anyone mind giving me a quick rundown??

33 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Let's try to avoid name-calling and rise above. 

But yes. Gocollect purchased GVN, for the same reason as NA. To mine its data for their own tools. 

I'll try to play it as cool as possible, but what GoCollect has just done to NintendoAge is... tragic. I actually remained over there, even after the switch.  I've camped/read through VGS much more often than over there, but I saw no need to not be a part of two communities.

Well, after now seeing their "big changes" it's obvious that its... well, 100% self-serving.  I can't see how this will work well in their favor.  I mean, it's leaving a bad taste in my mouth and I have no interest in using their services.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but the fact is they've ripped the domain, and NA is buried under multiple links and the formatting is so horrible that you'd rather not even go there.  If I didn't know any better, I'd wonder if the archive is setup that way so they can mine the data in the back-end and others would have to come to them for research. Yes, that's a bit cynical, but as a general optimist, today's transition of NA to the New GoCollect site is far worse than I assumed or expected.

I'm not mad, really.  It's just sad and a bit heartbreaking.  For those that were around longer than me, I'm sure the feelings are even worse.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Br81zad said:

GVN will either be nuked or assimilated. GoCollect will use the data to make their own pricing guides.

I'm not being rude, but at this point I'm highly thinking about exporting and deleting all of my collections. Why should they know what I own, and send target emails my way, or even reach out to me to curate sales based off of my high-dollar items in my collection?  There's nothing saying they will do that, but there's also nothing saying they won't.

1 minute ago, RH said:

I'm not being rude, but at this point I'm highly thinking about exporting and deleting all of my collections. Why should they know what I own, and send target emails my way, or even reach out to me to curate sales based off of my high-dollar items in my collection?  There's nothing saying they will do that, but there's also nothing saying they won't.

Go for it. Seriously 

3 minutes ago, Br81zad said:

Go for it. Seriously 

I'm still debating on it and letting my emotions settle.  I'd really like to have a good exit plan and a new collection tracker ready to export->import into beyond Google Sheets.

I really, really am much more motivated to make a competitor site.  Maybe I'll make it centered around collection tracking with an added bonus of value tracking.  I'm not sure.  In my entire professional history, I've probably started over 50 personal projects and finished 2 of them.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in making a competitor site, may like around here where it's "committee driven", then PM me.  I'm a C#/.Net stack dev by trade, so I'd want to stick with that.  If I could form a team, I think I'd be more inclined to work and finish a side project. 

Yes, GVN got bought out as well.  I also strongly preferred GVN over Pricecharting, but thank god GoCollect didn't buy them both.  The competition lets us hope that pricing data will continue to remain free.  If GC buys them all then it's only a matter of time before you have to pay to get pricing information.

1 minute ago, jonebone said:

Yes, GVN got bought out as well.  I also strongly preferred GVN over Pricecharting, but thank god GoCollect didn't buy them both.  The competition lets us hope that pricing data will continue to remain free.  If GC buys them all then it's only a matter of time before you have to pay to get pricing information.

Isn't PriceCharting owned by JJ Games (or one of those big internet retro-gaming shops?)  It behooves them to control a semi-accurate pricebook.  I doub't GoCollect would buy out one of the biggest online game shops just to get a price book.  I mean, maybe, but they'd basically want to take the price book, sell of all of the inventory and close up shop.  IMHO, that would be a really dumb business move.  The value of JJ games has to be 5-10 times as much as the inventory, which depends on how the price is evaluated and how profitable they are.

6 hours ago, Gloves said:

Let's try to avoid name-calling and rise above. 

But yes. Gocollect purchased GVN, for the same reason as NA. To mine its data for their own tools. 

You're right, apologies for the name-calling.

But damn, this is a double whammy.  What's with all the selling out??  I latched onto GVN early because of its ease of use and layout, but more importantly because the prices were just more accurate (at least imo).  VGPC is owned by (I think his name is) JJ Hendricks but since he also sells massive amounts of games under JJ Games, it seems there's a conflict of interest there to an end user like me which makes it untrustworthy.

7 hours ago, RH said:

I'm not being rude, but at this point I'm highly thinking about exporting and deleting all of my collections

If GoCollect plans on using NA user collections as a resource, they'll probably use the data from a prior backup to include info users deleted before leaving for VGS.

15 hours ago, glazball said:

You're right, apologies for the name-calling.

But damn, this is a double whammy.  What's with all the selling out??  I latched onto GVN early because of its ease of use and layout, but more importantly because the prices were just more accurate (at least imo).  VGPC is owned by (I think his name is) JJ Hendricks but since he also sells massive amounts of games under JJ Games, it seems there's a conflict of interest there to an end user like me which makes it untrustworthy.

It's not with all of the selling out as much as a new buyer aggressively trying to purchase things. GVN turned him down multiple times as far as I know until I assume he got an offer he couldn't refuse.