IGNORED

Zao Reformat/Reboot NES Album

SoleGoose

I'm happy to be able to share the next effort of The 6502 Collective: Zao Reformat/Reboot. This is a music album, featuring the pioneering metal band Zao. Believe it or not, the cart plays CD/MP3 quality audio through the NES! This requires that the audio resistor mod be made to a toaster, or a simple PCB can be inserted into the unused expansion port on the bottom of a front loading NES (bundled with every cart).*  That last piece of tech is what makes this all possible, since without it the instructions for use would be a whole lot more complicated to explain to people. The expansion board was designed by InfiniteNESLives (no @? where you at Paul!?) last year, and this might be the first project that truly puts it to use. A special version of the GTROM board was designed by @Memblers, which is the other half to this technological puzzle. The cart has also been tested on the AVS, no modifications needed.

Besides music there are the standard stereo-like controls to control the album and accompanying lyrics.

Just to note, the band is handling all sales and such, I do not have anything to do with that. If you have any questions reach out to them on social media. They've been great to work and their communication is superb.

*The expansion chip can be inserted without any damage to your original NES, it only involves taking it apart, inserting the board, and putting it back together. Alternatively, if you don't feel like doing that, you can cut off that bottom piece under the removable cover and quickly insert the board.

SGPZAO1a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow! 2

Moderator · Posted
7 minutes ago, TylerBarnes said:

Early bird sales to fans sold them out before launch. Oh well. They claim a second round will come. 

That’s kind of bullshit though. It’s one thing to set some aside for your devoted fans or completely run out in the first few minutes because demand is that high, but another thing to say “we’re going to sell these at this time” then turn around and say “oh nevermind we completely sold out and won’t offer any copies at our stated launch time because we sold them all backstage.”

59 minutes ago, Scrobins said:

That’s kind of bullshit though. It’s one thing to set some aside for your devoted fans or completely run out in the first few minutes because demand is that high, but another thing to say “we’re going to sell these at this time” then turn around and say “oh nevermind we completely sold out and won’t offer any copies at our stated launch time because we sold them all backstage.”

Looking into it now. I don't have any control over sales but I have messaged the band to see what went on, or what can be done. Thanks for your patience, and sorry about any frustrations.

27 minutes ago, RH said:

Wait, is this the Zao from the late-90s, early-00s?

I freaking use to love Zao in college!

Same one! They've been around for a long time.

Ok, so it looks like previous supporters and Bandcamp followers were given the early info. It was not much sooner, and the band genuinely did not believe that they would sell out so fast. There is a smaller, second wave that will go up for sale at some point, and if interested I would sign up for the Bandcamp page now. We're crossing streams with game and music collectors, so be fast with that F5 button 🙂 !

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Scrobins said:

It’s certainly not on you, Beau. It’s just a weird thing for Zao to do. Looking at the replies to their twitter post, someone even went to their page well before 10 and said the page already stated it was sold out.

Just wanted to drop in to clear some confusion. We have ALWAYS given the subscribers early access, it has never been an issue before today. We actually posted several times that prior buyers and mailing list subscribers would get an early crack at everything (not just the games). We really really thought the 65$ price tag was going to leave it around for at LEAST an hour. it was only 60 of the 100. the other 40 will go up at a locked time and date once we know the initial wave arrived safely to the people that already bought. 

• Like 1

Yeah, It is kinda disappointing, but it's the way it goes. I'd rather they make sure actual fans are getting them first. But yeah, saying 10am EST and everyone setting alarms to find they had zero chance is frustrating. I'll be holding out, but I just hope there is an accurate announcement for the round two. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TylerBarnes said:

Yeah, It is kinda disappointing, but it's the way it goes. I'd rather they make sure actual fans are getting them first. But yeah, saying 10am EST and everyone setting alarms to find they had zero chance is frustrating. I'll be holding out, but I just hope there is an accurate announcement for the round two. 

to be fair, people ON the mailing list that had a 24 hour heads up of the 9:30 start time didn't get them, there just aren't that many to go around no matter which way you slice it, had we gone live exactly at 10am... you still only have 60 people getting one.

No I understand. I've been on the other side of the coin, where my favorite band released a re release vinyl (my favorite record) without a exact release date and I wholeheartedly just wished they had a for fans on email list pre-release or something to get them in the hands of fans and not re-sellers. I've had to pay those $400+ prices on ebay several times for records that mean more to me than any price tag. 

4 minutes ago, TylerBarnes said:

The frustration, or disappointment rather, more comes with the low numbers to go around to begin with I feel. 60 doesn't seem like it's doing the band or fans justice. 

we have heard that (including from friends and people in the business).

our business model is very much set up on "small quantity,  personalized, a lot of hands on" boutique items that are intended to sell out.

Homebrew Team · Posted
2 hours ago, gretz said:

2nd chance for these next friday 11/15/19 at 12:00 am (midnight) EST

Not to nitpick, but are you saying to be ready at 11:59PM on the 14th, or be ready at 11:59PM on the 15th?   I -assume- you mean 11:59PM/12:01AM the 15th -into- the 16th.

Right? 🙂

Just trying to save you complaints/headaches. 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, zi said:

first of all, I'd like to publicly shame @SoleGoose for not telling me about this privately. shame.

secondly- how freakin' badass is this? If @neodolphino or @TylerBarnes grabs one- can you grab 2 and I'll PP you ASAP? 

lastly... damn it!

If getting multiple is allowed then sure. Also if I get in in time. I will be refreshing at the ready for sure though. 

Welp that was a 'blink and you miss it' moment if I ever seen one. I refreshed the page exactly on 11:00 CST (12 EST)  put them in my cart and by the time I was entering my paypal password they are gone and checkout is not successful. Sorry @zi I tried for us buddy. :,( 

Not their fault but a site in which you can be in the process of paying for something that is not in any way holding what you are buying for you can be disappointing in these kinda scenarios. 

Congrats on the launch, Zao. Very cool project that people seem to really want. 

434314124_ScreenShot2019-11-14at11_03_20PM.png.2578f2ee4eb46f493552fc0c29ead212.png
2014878987_ScreenShot2019-11-14at11_07_04PM.thumb.png.3c2033d91ed9867fbcd4e718296d3bd6.png

Edited by TylerBarnes