IGNORED

Game Debate #27: Final Fantasy VII (1997)

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences

• 10/10 - One of your absolute very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

20 minutes ago, Amermoe said:

Yes? I was the kid you wouldn't touch the cart/disk until I familiarized myself with and read the entire manual...

The reason I ask is in regard to this whole "FF1 has no story"...for games in the 8/16-bit eras (or 3rd/4th gens if you prefer) they had no choice but to tell the game's story in the manual (and if well written/illustrated like Legend of Zelda it was really able to inspire you to imagine yourself in that world and as that character like how it looks in the manual).  The game itself in most cases only was able to fit a Cliff's Notes version (are those still used anymore?) at best.

8 minutes ago, Estil said:

The reason I ask is in regard to this whole "FF1 has no story"...for games in the 8/16-bit eras (or 3rd/4th gens if you prefer) they had no choice but to tell the game's story in the manual (and if well written/illustrated like Legend of Zelda it was really able to inspire you to imagine yourself in that world and as that character like how it looks in the manual).  The game itself in most cases only was able to fit a Cliff's Notes version (are those still used anymore?) at best.

I really understand this, and my comment is not a slight on the game itself. I love Final Fantasy (up until XIII), and I've played/completed pretty much every entry in the series (including the spinoffs like Tactics and Dirge of Cerberus) and when I have to compare the first game to later entries, I'm doing so in the context of the entirety of the series. The game itself (not including the manual), to me felt like it had a thin story, relative to say FF6 or 7 or 8. When I say "it had no story" it is an embellishment, I know the game is telling a story, it is where the story of the crystals originated - which ties all the other games in the series together, and I know the developers did a fantastic job for the medium at the time it was produced. 

At the same time, I can't pretend that it had a deep, rich, narrative that gripped me from beginning to end (like some games have), because it simply didn't and nor did it need to because other aspects of of the game were amazing, like gameplay, music, battle mechanics, originality, charm etc.  and in my opinion were done better than some later entries - certainly better than many other RPGs.

I weigh story very heavily (this includes writing, pacing, plot, characters, direction, believability etc.) when I rank RPG games, because it's one of the aspects I look forward to the most in games. Gameplay and strategy are right up there with story, but story is number 1. If I want gameplay, I play games like God or War or Castlevania, if I want just strategy, there are many platformers, or puzzle games I can chose from. I don't mind Visual Novel games, but they can get boring. RPGs are the perfect mix of story and strategy, where I don't have to rely on quick reflexes and I can take my time think and strategize, as well as unwind take a break and relax in between with a good story to keep me interested and engaged.