IGNORED

Bringing the heat!

Bearcat-Doug

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Yep! I've got a few sauces from there as well. Which ones do you have?

I have the XXX, the Classic, and I've had a few of the rest of the various lineups pass through my hands. In the fridge right now I have Karma and Dawson's.

Just now, Gloves said:

I have the XXX, the Classic, and I've had a few of the rest of the various lineups pass through my hands. In the fridge right now I have Karma and Dawson's.

I've got a bottle of Last Dab XXX thats been in transit for about a week and a half. I'm currently about halfway through a bottle of Mad Dog 357 Gold. I try to open one at a time, but my backlog is piling up.

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Sadly I've had to go on a spicy hiatus due to my new braces. T_T

I've got a bottle of The End (6 Million SHU) that I'm trying to work up to. A tablespoon of Mad Dog 357 Gold is still pretty rough. Have you watched Brian Ambs on YouTube? He's from Cincinnati too.   

@Bearcat-Doug

Spoiler Alert!

Spoiler

The Last Dab XXX isn't as hot as you'd expect.  I mean, it's definitely spicy, but I can dump it on a chicken wing the way they do on the last dab, and it's spicy and I perspire a little, but it doesn't make me choke, gag or cry.

However, my wife did get me a bottle of Da Bomb.  Probably the second or third hottest hot sauce I've ever had.  It's very bitter and taste like pure pepper.  I like a nice bitter flavor but I get why everyone hates it.  I will literally make a bowl of chili, or soup and put one drop in it.  It's good enough for some nice spice, and two drops makes it pretty toasty.

Edited by RH

2 minutes ago, RH said:

@Bearcat-Doug

Spoiler Alert!

Hide contents

The Last Dab XXX isn't as hot as you'd expect.  I mean, it's definitely spicy, but I can dump it on a chicken wing the way they do on the last dab, and it's spicy and I perspire a little, but it doesn't make me choke, gag or cry.

However, my wife did get me a bottle of Da Bomb.  Probably the second or third hottest hot sauce I've ever had.  It's very bitter and taste like pure pepper.  I like a nice bitter flavor but I get why everyone hates it.  I will literally make bowl of chili, or soup and put one drop in it.  It's good enough for some nice spice, and two drops makes it pretty toasty.

That's what I've heard about The Last Dab. Mad Dog 357 Gold is 1 million SHU, but supposedly it tastes hotter due to the extract. 

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

7 minutes ago, RH said:

@Bearcat-Doug

Spoiler Alert!

Hide contents

However, my wife did get me a bottle of Da Bomb.  Probably the second or third hottest hot sauce I've ever had.  It's very bitter and taste like pure pepper.  I like a nice bitter flavor but I get why everyone hates it.  I will literally make bowl of chili, or soup and put one drop in it.  It's good enough for some nice spice, and two drops makes it pretty toasty.

I haven't tried Da Bomb just from what I've heard about it tasting awful. I've got a bottle of Hellfire Doomed coming. It's supposed to be the hottest natural (no extract) sauce there is so I'm looking forward to trying it.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

That's what I've heard. Mad Dog 357 Gold is 1 million SHU, but supposedly it tastes hotter due to the extract. 

Yeah, I don't know what the chemistry is about.  I do know, and have observed, that eating pure capsaicin powder or crystals is definitely spicy but actually no where close to as hot as it can feel.  This is because the pure crystals are really well bonded and to get the full heat affect, you need a catalyst to break up the molecules.  One good catalyst is alcohol.

In practice, I have no idea what this means for hot sauces, but Da Bomb is pretty much made of habaneros.  Those are hot but certainly not the hottest.  Regardless, the sauce has something in it that feels like it's fully breaking up those molecules and it hurts.  The Last Dab doesn't do that.  I wish it did, but it doesn't.

I'd give Mad Dog a try, but I'm going on a 3-4 month long AIP diet for health reasons.  I'm basically going to be eating just meat and some veggies and fruit.  Beans and night shades are out, so my wife gave me an early Christmas gift of the Da Bomb she'd bought me.

1 minute ago, RH said:

Yeah, I don't know what the chemistry is about.  I do know, and have observed, that eating pure capsaicin powder or crystals is definitely spicy but actually no where close to as hot as it can feel.  This is because the pure crystals are really well bonded and to get the full heat affect, you need a catalyst to break up the molecules.  One good catalyst is alcohol.

In practice, I have no idea what this means for hot sauces, but Da Bomb is pretty much made of habaneros.  Those are hot but certainly not the hottest.  Regardless, the sauce has something in it that feels like it's fully breaking up those molecules and it hurts.  The Last Dab doesn't do that.  I wish it did, but it doesn't.

I'd give Mad Dog a try, but I'm going on a 3-4 month long AIP diet for health reasons.  I'm basically going to be eating just meat and some veggies and fruit.  Beans and night shades are out, so my wife gave me an early Christmas gift of the Da Bomb she'd bought me.

Mad Dog 357 Gold tastes good for an extract sauce. From what I've heard the regular Mad Dog 357 and the silver are heavier on extract even though they aren't as hot.   

1 minute ago, FireHazard51 said:

I'll just drop this little puppy into the thread.  Yes we keep in a bag to avoid accidental hot sauce in the eye issue when handling.

PXL_20201209_220840072.jpg

I've not tried it based on hearing that it tastes terrible. That's only 230,000 SHU, so there have to be a lot of better options.

2 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

Red Hot Chili Peppers is just a great band. Flea is a beast of a bass player, but really the whole band is excellent. Not something I typically go out of my way to listen to, however. 8/10

Oops, wrong thread

Somehow the Chili Peppers have yet to come up in the music debates. Maybe the biggest omission outside of GnR.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

I'll just drop this little puppy into the thread.  Yes we keep in a bag to avoid accidental hot sauce in the eye issue when handling.

PXL_20201209_220840072.jpg

Yeah, I just brought this up.  My wife gave it to me as an early stocking stuffer.  I like looking for really, really hot sauces.  Not sure what they did to make this one so deadly but inspite of the low SHU count, it's a tough one.

What do you think of it @FireHazard51?  As I mentioned, I like bitter hot sauces but I know I'm the rare one that feels that way.

Social Team · Posted
1 minute ago, RH said:

Yeah, I just brought this up.  My wife gave it to me as an early stocking stuffer.  I like looking for really, really hot sauces.  Not sure what they did to make this one so deadly but inspite of the low SHU count, it's a tough one.

What do you think of it @FireHazard51?  As I mentioned, I like bitter hot sauces but I know I'm the rare one that feels that way.

Wifey is a "taster" and says it's smoky, charr-ie, back of the throat heat.  I just taste 🔥.

1 minute ago, Kguillemette said:

I've got a bottle of Blairs Ultimate Death in the backlog. I may open a few of these at once to catch up.

Social Team · Posted
7 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I've not tried it based on hearing that it tastes terrible. That's only 230,000 SHU, so there have to be a lot of better options.

We got it from Jungle Jim's to win a chili cookoff.  We were told that the hot ones win so we got the hottest one from Hot Ones show to use.  We ended up doing only three toothpick dips worth of the stuff for a whole crock pot and many people said it was too hot.  When diluted so much I think it was really wonderful. I did a tooth pick worth right on the tonge and it was pretty fucking bad for 15-30mins.  I honestly am not a big hot sauce kind of guy but thought I could add a little to the thread/discussion.