IGNORED

Gameboy variants Pokemon yellow

3rdStrongestMole

I still need one, but I can't tell you.  If you're not familiar with GB differences and you also care about minor game variations, the main identifier is the stamp on the front label.  If it has strictly 2 digits, it's the first ROM they used for the game.  If it has an "A" to the right of the digits, it's the first revision, "B" is the second, etc.

Regarding this game, I'm not sure they ever released a ROM update but I honestly don't know.  TCRF might have information on it.

https://tcrf.net/Pokémon_Yellow#Revisional_Differences

I don't really go to TCRF much, but from the look of the above link, if I understand it correctly, their might have been a Japanese revision difference and all other changes seem to be differences that were carried over from Pokemon Red/Blue.  This is another subset of games who's revisions I've not paid attention too.  I do have both blues and I need one last Red for all of those label variants.  I'm not sure if they have different ROMs with updates, but that's not what you're asking about.

I hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

I'm familiar with 3 primary variants in regards to Pokémon yellow for gameboy. Early production has the white E on the box. Mid production has no rating on the box but the cart has a black E, and then later production has the black E on the box and cart. The variant that has the least amount of listings on eBay over the last 6 months is the mid production variant with no rating printed on the box. I found this information in various forums and chat threads.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Gulag Joe said:

I'm familiar with 3 primary variants in regards to Pokémon yellow for gameboy. Early production has the white E on the box. Mid production has no rating on the box but the cart has a black E, and then later production has the black E on the box and cart. The variant that has the least amount of listings on eBay over the last 6 months is the mid production variant with no rating printed on the box. I found this information in various forums and chat threads.

Wasn't no E earlier then the White E? I thought the No E was the earliest production as it was the transition from KA to E. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Doc.Stalk said:

Wasn't no E earlier then the White E? I thought the No E was the earliest production as it was the transition from KA to E. 

The logo branding for the rating changed in the middle of distribution of Pokémon yellow. Pokémon red and blue, which were released prior to yellow, have a white E rating. I've also seen WATA graded cibs with IMP for the no rating yellow version that had a white E cart. Again, these are all based on my own observations as I've been tracking Pokémon yellow closely since early February. However, these are only conclusions I've drawn from that data, I could be wrong.

• Thanks 1

This is interesting. I'm in the position now where any Pokemon Yellow would fill the void I need filled in my collection, but unfortunately for myself I really like first releases 😂 I'm assuming long-run it won't matter, because I'll probably end up basing my purchase/trade on gradable condition... But it's still good to know why there are steep price differences between them.

Administrator · Posted
8 minutes ago, Grondorr said:

Currently for Yellow, all else being equal, white E is worth the most. No E follows a little behind with a bigger dropoff for black E. Things may evolve as condition seems to be the largest factor. (My graded yellow is no E as it seemed to be the rarest.)

*Looks over at shelf... *

PXL_20201123_030106385~2.jpg

... Damn. 

• Like 1