IGNORED

Work in Progress: List of retro games ported to the Switch

RH

We all know that the Switch has become a console of ports.  Games from some many generations have been ported or remastered.  The intent of this list is to try to keep track of "retro" ports.  I'm not looking to have a big discussion on defining that, but what I mean is any game that's likely been ported or remastered over to the system capitalize on the nostalgia feelings that many Switch gamers are buying into.  Please provide any additional details beyond the games listed below.

Details I'd like to list are game name, original console(s) released on, publisher and is it emulation, a port or remaster.

Game, - Original system(s), Publisher, Game Type

1. Baulder's Gate - PS2/Xbox/PC, ???, Port
  2. Doom 64 - N64, Limited Run Games, Port(?)
  3. Final Fantasy VII, PlayStation, Square Enix, Port
  4. Final Fantasy VIII, PlayStation, Square Enix, Port
  5. Final Fantasy IX, PlayStation, Square Enix, Port
  6. Final Fantasy X (Final Fantasy X/X2), PlayStation 2, Square Enix, Remaster
  7. Final Fantasy X2 (Final Fantasy X/X2), PlayStation 2, Square Enix, Remaster
  8. Final Fantasy XII - PlayStation 2, Square Enix, Port?
  9. Final Fantasy Adventure (Collection of Mana) - Game Boy, Square Enix, Emulated
  10. Final Fantasy Legend (Collection of Legends) - Game Boy, Square Enix, Emulated
  11. Final Fantasy Legend 2 (Collection of Legends) - Game Boy, Square Enix, Emulated
  12. Final Fantasy Legend 3(Collection of Legends) - Game Boy, Square Enix, Emulated
  13. Grandia, Playstation, Limited Run Games, Port
  14. Grandia 2, Playstation 2, Limited Run Games, Port/Remaster?
  15. Panzer Dragoon, Saturn, Limited Run Games, Remake
  16. Secret of Mana, SNES, Square Enix, Emulated
  17. Star Wars: Episode 1 Pod Racer, N64, Limited Run Games, Port(?)
  18. Super Mario 64 (Super Mario 3D All-Stars) - N64, Nintendo, Emulated
  19. Super Mario Galaxy (Super Mario 3D All-Stars) - Wii, Nintendo, Emulated
  20. Super Mario Sunshine (Super Mario 3D All-Stars) - Gamecube, Nintendo, Emulated
  21. Secret of Mana (Collection of Mana), SNES, Square Enix, Emulated
  22. Trials of Mana (Collection of Mana), SNES, Square Enix, Emulated/Translated
  23. Trials of Mana, SNES, Square Enix, Remake
  24. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter - N64, Limited Run Games, Port(?)
  25. Turok 2 - N64, Limited Run Games, Port(?)

I'm sure there are a ton more.  Please contribute below and I'll update the list.

NOTE

I'm not looking to add to the list the NES/SNES virtual console games, or the Wii U ports.  The virtual console games are a bit obvious and will also eventually disappear with the end-of-life of the Switch, plus they are easily discoverable within those apps.  I also feel that the Switch is Nintendo's big fat "take #2" on the Wii U, so those ports in my mind don't count.  This is more realistically their second chance at survival.  However, all games before then (say Wii/PS3/X-Box 360 and earlier) can belong on this list.

Edited by RH
This was just for the N64, but I've pivoted to cover all "retro" titles.

Bump.

I know I asked this a couple of weeks ago, but no one has mentioned anything.  Were LRG and the one-off of SM 64 from Nintendo the only re-released N64 titles?  I think I'd like to go for this subset, but I need details if anyone has others.  I've mostly followed just LRG.  I know there are other boutique, small batch publishers.  I assume they've done nothing in this area?

• The title was changed to Work in Progress: List of retro games ported to the Switch

Langrisser 1&2 (Both originally on Mega Drive (I was released on Genesis as Warsong - both have been through several later iterations so not sure where it sits -probably remastered though)

Sega Genesis Classics - Look to be straight ports

Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening (Gameboy -remastered as 3D)

Dragon Quest Trilogy (NES Dragon Warriors 1-3 - not sure how much is changed from originals but some minor tweaks at least have been put in)

Edited by Tabonga

1 hour ago, fox said:

N64 classic Shadow man is getting a remake.  All five of its fans should be excited.

49 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Langrisser 1&2

Sega Genesis Classics

Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening

Dragon Quest Trilogy

48 minutes ago, Shmup said:

I’ll check my list later and update, but off the top of my head: Planescape/Icewind Dale, NWN, Shantae, psikyo shooting stars alpha and bravo.

11 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Romancing Saga 3

Hey guys, I'll take all of the references that I can get, but it'd be a big help if you would fill in the details like I am for each line.  I'm definitely not complaining or requiring that.  But it'll be a big help if you can post something I can copy and paste.  Otherwise, it might take me a little longer to post these details to the master list.

Thanks.

I don't see Cave Story on your list.

If you do include the Dragon Quest Trilogy title in your list due to that other suggestion a few posts up, perhaps Capcom Belt Action would be smart as it has all those old end 80s into 90s arcade titles.  But that might open the door to the SF 30th Anniversary which has SF1, SF2 and games up through Alpha3 and Third Strike.

It's unfortunately too new, but Ghostbusters which was a PS3 game got that halloween remaster a year ago.  Diablo III is just as old too, and it got reborn on Switch.  I mean if we're counting the FF10 PS3 remaster it seems fair maybe to include these two as they're also over a decade old now.

Would technically Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee count?  It really just is old pokemon yellow with a new coat of paint and adds in the easier 'grass/field' GO catch mechanics instead of the usual brawls that are now just for trainers and in gyms.

@Tanooki Yeah, I marked this as a work in progress because I assume this list will end up being well over 100 games, especially when you break them out by bundled games like I did the Super Mario titles in 3D All-stars.

That's part of why I wanted help.  I'll keep working through the list and researching as I get time, but if people can accumulate some of these, it'd help a ton.

I know that some of us actually like re-releases and remasters.  Having a consolidated list like this makes it easy to see titles we might not have caught, as well as shop by former systems or types of releases.  This is a bit self-serving, but I imagine their are others that like the retro-nature of the Switch just as much as I do.

Flashback - SNES, U.S.Gold, remaster

...Would you include Sega Genesis Classics? It has 50 games. I had to laugh when you mentioned 100 games.

- Sega Genesis, Sega, emulated

Spoiler

here are the games. Idk if they’re all Sega-published but my guess is no. I could look them up but it will take a while. I never had Sega machines until recently, and have barely played anything besides Sonic 1.

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle

Alien Soldier

Alien Storm

Altered Beast

Beyond Oasis

Bio-Hazard Battle

Bonanza Bros.

Columns

Columns III: Revenge of Columns

Comix Zone

Crack Down

Decap Attack

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine

Dynamite Headdy

ESWAT: City Under Siege

Fatal Labyrinth

Flicky

Gain Ground

Galaxy Force II

Golden Axe

Golden Axe II

Golden Axe III

Gunstar Heroes

Kid Chameleon

Landstalker

Light Crusader

Phantasy Star II

Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom

Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millenium

Ristar

Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi

Shining in the Darkness

Shining Force

Shining Force II

Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master

Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Sonic 3D Blast

Sonic Spinball

Space Harrier II

Streets of Rage

Streets of Rage 2

Streets of Rage 3

Super Thunder Blade

Sword of Vermilion

The Revenge of Shinobi

ToeJam & Earl

ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron

Vectorman

VectorMan 2

Virtua Fighter 2

Then there’s the Spyro collection, Crash Bandicoot, Megaman Legacy and Megaman X collections, I’m sure there are more. I guess those fit your bill by precedent of SM All-Stars.

Atari Flashback Classics has 150 games, yes this has a physical release. 

And the Namco Arcade stuff...

On 11/17/2020 at 5:13 PM, RH said:

@Tanooki Yeah, I marked this as a work in progress because I assume this list will end up being well over 100 games, especially when you break them out by bundled games like I did the Super Mario titles in 3D All-stars.

That's part of why I wanted help.  I'll keep working through the list and researching as I get time, but if people can accumulate some of these, it'd help a ton.

I know that some of us actually like re-releases and remasters.  Having a consolidated list like this makes it easy to see titles we might not have caught, as well as shop by former systems or types of releases.  This is a bit self-serving, but I imagine their are others that like the retro-nature of the Switch just as much as I do.

I wish I could help more but anything newer then N64 that wasn't a Nintendo exclusive I wouldn't know if it was a brand new release from hole in the ground most of the time. What I can help with is this is the list of currently released physical NA region games in case you didn't have it.

I'm sure you (or someone) could pick out games that fit your criteria quicker by scanning through it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18UCeKB0rLMvko4ZJjxm665hbqjpoD-7bxjX0i7OkKyU/edit?usp=sharing

Edit: Actually thinking about it this is probably even more useful if your looking for worldwide releases. From r/NScollectors

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FNyvbbU64Pb9lheg28gC_5fMalIYJ0aD763T7M1QqF0/edit#gid=0

Edited by LeatherRebel5150