IGNORED

What game has given you the most benefit in life?

GPX

I have to presume that all the puzzle and puzzle Adventure games I like to play improve my problem solving ability.  Probably a lot of other types of games have done as much as well.  I think Qbert's Qubes is probably the single best training program for observing and coordinating multiple factors simultaneously.  I think Chrono trigger inspired my imagination more than any other game.  I think the Wipeout series inspires a sense of "eternally honing perfection."  Too many games to name have inspired a sense of determination; let's just say Ghosts 'N Goblins to make one example...

Edited by PII
  • Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I'm basically the only video game player in my family of otherwise huge nerds. But there's an old DOS game called Squarez that my dad would play with me, and that has created some useful bonding experiences over the years, including figuring out how to keep playing it on newer PCs and how to deal with the bugs. I also managed to get a lot of family members into Dr. Mario with the 4-player version on N64. Lots of really good times there.

Rock Band hit during my early college years, and it has been responsible for a LOT of things. I could legitimately pick any night of the week, turn on Rock Band, open the door to the apartment, and the place was full within 10 minutes. My last year of college brought a noticeable decrease in this effect, and that's how I knew I was nearing the end of the Good Ol' Days. I also used to bring it home and play with the family, so if I had to pick one game it would be Rock Band. Which is unfortunate, since it's such a casual game that didn't seem to work as a gateway into other games. Feels like I'm saying my favorite video game is Angry Birds.

In more general terms, I've made lots of friends because of video games, but it's hard to say that any single-player game has made me a better person or anything. I guess I've gotten through some hard times by thinking "if I were a character in a video game, I would just keep pressing A to make myself do this hard thing until it's done, regardless of how hungry/tired/etc my character is."

• Like 1

In a kind of metaphorical answer, I think Mario games would have to be right up there. Mario is like a friend who:

- is there when I need him

- has helped to increase my dexterity and twitch reflexes

- taught me some basic morals (eg. helping damsels/people in distress)

- allow me to beat the crap out of, while being fun and legal

- reminds you the world can be beautiful with plenty of bastards trying to ruin your day!