IGNORED

HAPPY 25TH BIRTHDAY, PS1!! -- I FINALLY got a PSIO "Everdive" PS1...currently working on Tales of Destiny 2 (Eternia)

Estil

Wow, this is crazy...I was looking over the PS1's Harvest Moon game to see if it might be any good (once again like the SNES/N64 ones, you can't have a kitty 😞 ) and you are not gonna believe that one of the five bachelorettes is, according to the Marriage FAQ:

* Gets extremely angry if she is given something she doesn't like...and is even an alcoholic!

* Has brown hair with blonde highlights at the bangs (not really short/spiked but still...)

You are not gonna believe what her name happens to be!!! 😄 

And in other news, I've always been fascinated that several of the PS1 games come on multiple discs, sometimes 3-4 or in one case (Riven), five!  And this is one of the things that makes the PS1 unique...no other console really did this (except a few double disc GC games or something) and yes I'm well aware they can't all be winners but I am curious as to what 3-4 disc games I should especially check out?  I already know of the FF games, Tales of Destiny 2 (I'm working on the first one right now), and of course the five disc Riven (sequel to Myst).

Also is there a checklist or something of all the demo discs released on the PS1 in the US that also includes which games are previewed?

Before the advent of the DVD, a lot of PC games had multiple discs.  Riven had 5 discs for the PC as well.  This now makes me curious--what game had the most CD-style discs in history? Honorable mention, what game had the most floppy disks.  That has to be in the 20+ range, if not 30.

42 minutes ago, Estil said:

And in other news, I've always been fascinated that several of the PS1 games come on multiple discs, sometimes 3-4 or in one case (Riven), five!  And this is one of the things that makes the PS1 unique...no other console really did this (except a few double disc GC games or something) and yes I'm well aware they can't all be winners but I am curious as to what 3-4 disc games I should especially check out?  I already know of the FF games, Tales of Destiny 2 (I'm working on the first one right now), and of course the five disc Riven (sequel to Myst).

Also is there a checklist or something of all the demo discs released on the PS1 in the US that also includes which games are previewed?

While PS1 probably had the most multi disk games, it really wasn't unique in doing this. Many other systems before and after the PS1 used multiple disks. 

To name a few. 

Sega Saturn
Dreamcast
Sega CD
PC

This is a great resource for just about anything PS1. It has the demo list with a lot of information on what is on the demo disks. 

https://game-rave.com/?page_id=126

Edited by Magus
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Magus said:

While PS1 probably had the most multi disk games, it really wasn't unique in doing this. Many other systems before and after the PS1 used multiple disks. 

To name a few. 

Sega Saturn
Dreamcast
Sega CD
PC

This is a great resource for just about anything PS1. It has the demo list with a lot of information on what is on the demo disks. 

https://game-rave.com/?page_id=126

It's very incomplete.  I just thought it'd be easier to have a checklist w/ contents rather than having to manually check them one by one.

8 minutes ago, Estil said:

It's very incomplete.  I just thought it'd be easier to have a checklist w/ contents rather than having to manually check them one by one.

AFAIK and PS1 is one of my top collected systems, there is no list like this unfortunately. 

There are various lists with various amounts of information redarding demos spread out over the web. There were tons of demos for the ps1 from all different sources. Pack ins, magazines, etc. That website is one of the most expansive at documenting them, despite being very incomplete. There is a very expansive PAL list but i doubt that interests you. 

Edited by Magus

26 minutes ago, Estil said:

It may be incomplete, but is by far the best resource for PS1 information.  The site owner has a full US PS1 set with all known variants.  Unfortunately, he has had hosting issues with his website, and he has lost loads of information on more than one occasion.  He used to actually have a lot more data.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

It may be incomplete, but is by far the best resource for PS1 information.  The site owner has a full US PS1 set with all known variants.  Unfortunately, he has had hosting issues with his website, and he has lost loads of information on more than one occasion.  He used to actually have a lot more data.  

Oh wow; that guy must be rich!

Now I can understand how frustrated people may have been back in the day by the relatively small space PS1 memory cards have (or worse, those who got a PS1 and their favorite game(s) for Christmas...and Santa forgot to include memory cards!!!  Maybe the gift recipient himself/herself didn't even know you were supposed to have them until they learned the hard way!)!  I can't believe the first Gran Turismo alone takes up five spaces!  And apparently one of the Wheel of Fortunes of all games takes up two spaces.  I can only imagine what a memory card hog the sports games must be...

Now, I'm very lucky I have the option to back up the saves on PS2 memory cards as well as the PS3 hard drive (where you can make "virtual memory cards"; both PS1 and PS2) but geez what did you guys have to do prior to 2000? 😞

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to get a second PS1 memory card, maybe?  A real one, not a cheap imitation 3rd party one of course.

Edited by Estil

8 hours ago, Estil said:

Now I can understand how frustrated people may have been back in the day by the relatively small space PS1 memory cards have (or worse, those who got a PS1 and their favorite game(s) for Christmas...and Santa forgot to include memory cards!!!  Maybe the gift recipient himself/herself didn't even know you were supposed to have them until they learned the hard way!)!  I can't believe the first Gran Turismo alone takes up five spaces!  And apparently one of the Wheel of Fortunes of all games takes up two spaces.  I can only imagine what a memory card hog the sports games must be...

Now, I'm very lucky I have the option to back up the saves on PS2 memory cards as well as the PS3 hard drive (where you can make "virtual memory cards"; both PS1 and PS2) but geez what did you guys have to do prior to 2000? 😞

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to get a second PS1 memory card, maybe?  A real one, not a cheap imitation 3rd party one of course.

Honestly, it wasn't that bad.  I got a PS1 during my 8th grade year and made it all the way through high school only owning 2 memory cards.  That handled everything I needed.  Keep in mind that during those days most of us didn't own that many games and when I rented a game, I usually didn't keep the game save unless I really felt like  I was going to buy it.  Even with the collection that I own today, I think I only have about 6 memory cards.  Whatever you do, don't buy those third party memory cards with "multiple pages."  They will erase your saves.  

With that said, not getting a memory card on Christmas morning was rough.  Luckily my parents knew enough to get us games.  I think I was able to get a memory card a day or two after Christmas.  

Oh I hear ya!  Just like Nintendo taught me to never trust anything that does not have the Official Nintendo Seal of Quality you bet I will never trust any cheap imitation memory cards!  Luckily like I said I got three (real) PS2 memory cards also (my original black and the later blue/red pair I got later) along with my PS3 that I can easily back up all my saves on.  Which is sure important especially for those RPG/quest games that may take at least a few dozen of hours!!

• The title was changed to HAPPY 25TH BIRTHDAY, PLAYSTATION!! -- I FINALLY got a PSIO "Everdive" PS1...?'s about multi disc games and checklist of all demo discs?

Well folks, on this day exactly 25 years ago, the original Playstation was...

And here was the US launch lineup:

Air Combat
Battle Arena Toshinden
ESPN Extreme Games
Kileak - The DNA Imperative
NBA JAM Tournament Edition
Power Serve 3D Tennis
The Raiden Project
Rayman
Ridge Racer
Street Fighter: The Movie
Total Eclipse Turbo
Twisted Metal
Zero Divide

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Estil said:

Well folks, on this day exactly 25 years ago, the original Playstation was...

And here was the US launch lineup:

Air Combat
Battle Arena Toshinden
ESPN Extreme Games
Kileak - The DNA Imperative
NBA JAM Tournament Edition
Power Serve 3D Tennis
The Raiden Project
Rayman
Ridge Racer
Street Fighter: The Movie
Total Eclipse Turbo
Twisted Metal
Zero Divide

I still need to finish that launch lineup sub set.  

4 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I still need to finish that launch lineup sub set.  

I hope none of them are too rare/pricey 😞  I have in fact sampled Ridge Racer some and it's actually pretty darn good for a launch/arcade port sort of title.  I know some might insist that PS1 graphics "look like ass" but no one thought so at the time (except maybe for Bugsy 3D; that DID look like a slapped together HS programming project 😛 )...I think considering I started out in late 3rd gen (1990) I think I can be a pretty fair judge of retro graphics on retro systems.

You know, I wonder if Sony will do anything special to celebrate PS1's 25th birthday in the US?  Like, I got the 20th anniversary PS1 theme/background for my PS3/PS4...why not offer a 25th anniversary one?

Hey come to think of it, this is also the 20th anniversary of the PS2 (October 26, 2000 to be exact)...why don't they also make a PS2 theme/background for it as well?  Provided I remember by this point I think it'd only be appropriate to myself or someone else here to start a PS2 20th anniversary celebration thread on that date! 🙂 

Edited by Estil

1 hour ago, Estil said:

I know some might insist that PS1 graphics "look like ass" but no one thought so at the time

PS1 graphics really aren't that bad.  Textures look kind of grainy, but solid colors usually looked pretty good (which is why Ridge Racer looks so good).  However, this is true of most consoles during this era, not just the PS1.

If you enjoy Ridge Racer, make sure you try out Ridge Racer Revolution.  Basically the same game with more stuff.  The later Ridge Racer games for the PS1 are also good, but they are more traditional racers rather then the true arcade experience of the original and Revolution.  

• The title was changed to HAPPY 25TH BIRTHDAY, PS1!! -- I FINALLY got a PSIO "Everdive" PS1...currently working on Tales of Destiny 2 (Eternia)

So I'm now working on Tales of Destiny 2 (its real name is Tales of Eternia; why didn't they just keep that name for the US release?) and I can't get over how the game is often like a painting; truly a work of art I must say!  I'm fascinated by all the graphics styles the PS1 did that I suppose would seldom be used in later gens.  And this game is a "talkie" as well!  It's neat how PS1 games can do those animated/live action/etc cutscenes as well as "talkies" thanks to the roomy CD-ROM format...and this came spans three discs just like Final Fantasy 7 so I should get my money's worth on this game shouldn't I? 🙂  I also like being able to make saves at different key points in the game's plot and luckily I'm able to do just that with this game (you can have up to 15 saves and remember I got PS2 memory cards and the PS3 to back up the saves)

And I have gone on record as saying I love having cute girls on my team and you already get a couple...including one that's, hee hee just like my kitty...she's obsessed with me 😄 

"On the side" I'm also trying out those driving games such as Crash Team Racing which is every bit the "Mario Kart" of the PS1.  And apparently the WipeOut series is the PS1's answer to F-Zero?  Wow there sure is much much to explore in the PS1's lineup isn't there?

• 8 months later...

So I finally got back into PS1 gaming and Tales of Eternia (Destiny 2) in particular...I'm a bit surprised that I'm on the Abandoned Mine on the second disc and I only logged just under 13 hours of playtime (remember it's my first playthrough and naturally I'm taking my time).  I mean I would've thought with THREE discs...

So I reached this part where a town/village is destroyed and one of my main characters mentioned that it was not this one person's time to "check out"...boy did that hit me pretty hard because that was true for both my wife and our first kitty together (Tweetie) 😞 

I can't believe it's already been almost a month... 😞