IGNORED

Mall Brawl NES - Limited Run Support

6 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Hahaha no clue what you're talking about pal, and I'm not your bruh, your bro, or your bra either, so please don't refer to me as such.

You obviously have no understanding that OG hardware can be finicky, if you feel so strongly the way you do, then take the bet with me, we can decide a monetary prize, and you can PayPal me once we see that my legit Famicom collection doesn't run perfectly on all of my legit Famicom machines. Not trying to be arrogant, just being honest, that's the way it is when dealing with old hardware. 

When altering old hardware, even minor adjustments can make things go awry, as the machines are what, 30+ years old. It's to be expected, no? 

LGR asked you to test the game on OG hardware because they, as well as I , know that the game will run on that, just won't run properly on some clones, which it doesn't have to run on, and which it's unreasonable to expect it to run on.

So yeah, you've got nothing, sorry , but you've been acting entitled about it from your first message posted on hete. Buy an OG machine and lower your expectations, please. After all , if it runs in AVS and doesn't run on my Tiger Mustang, does that give me grounds to complain 😉😄 Stop and think carefully before you answer that one, cheers I'm out.

You still didn’t address the issue, bruh. Just more spew. I’m not surprised. The guy’s NES is just as stock as any other that’s had its connector replaced. Or do you consider that for an NES to be stock it has to have its original connector? How many working NES’s do you think still have their original connector?

Edited by WaverBoy

14 minutes ago, WaverBoy said:

You still didn’t address the issue, bruh. Just more spew. I’m not surprised. The guy’s NES is just as stock as any other that’s had its connector replaced. Or do you consider that for an NES to be stock it has to have its original connector? How many working NES’s do you think still have their original connector?

It's not stock though, as the guy altered the way that the games load into the machine. That's not stock...

Replacing a single part with another that's equal, yeah I'd call it stock, no idea what the car enthusiasts would think though, anyone car enthusiasts here car to comment?

Yeah, if you want to start nitpicking, a modern made pin connector isn't going to be the same as one made for Nintendo back in the day. But it's definitely more authentic than something that alters the design of the machine. Furthermore, I already addressed the issue earlier (if you read my post, there's a lot more than stock, you just latched onto the one word haha).

What about the countless revisions? What about the fact that from YouTube videos and what not, it appears that the issue really hasn't "hit" most OG machines, yet it has consistently failed on AVS 8-bit game clone machines?

Sure, you want to up your chances for a replacement or to perhaps get them to make a reissue that runs properly on AVS 8-bit Nintendo-compatible game machines, but you are looking at the issue from a very narrow-minded, short-sighted approach.

Just buy an OG machine and spring for a crt or something, lol, and be happy that companies are making new kick-ass software for old gaming machines. Or whine and complain when the game doesn't run on your particular nintenda clone, and discourage the companies from ever releasing more kick-ass software, since they can't (within reason) test and guarantee it will run perfectly on every Nintendo clone under the sun.

Edit: BTW, I'm not your bruh, your bro, or your bra. Okay?

Edited by fcgamer

As a dev, I'm going to have to agree with fcgamer here. There should be zero expectation that the cart will run on a clone device. They are not real original hardware, and despite the emulation software being very good, the console is vastly different and nowhere close to the actual NES. 

One should also not expect it to work on an NES with 3rd party mods. Yes, the Blinking Light Win is a mod. It contains modern electronics, as well as solder joints, traces and other such points of possible failure. Assuming this is impossible to fail or affect performance is nieve. 

The only legitimate way to troubleshoot a failure of any description is to test it on the exact hardware in which the product was designed to operate on. 

You may very well have an issue, you might not. But assuming you do based on an unsupported bit of kit, without properly vetting it on real hardware is not the way to determine that. 

Edited by TylerBarnes
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, fcgamer said:

It's not stock though, as the guy altered the way that the games load into the machine. That's not stock...

Replacing a single part with another that's equal, yeah I'd call it stock, no idea what the car enthusiasts would think though, anyone car enthusiasts here car to comment?

Yeah, if you want to start nitpicking, a modern made pin connector isn't going to be the same as one made for Nintendo back in the day. But it's definitely more authentic than something that alters the design of the machine. Furthermore, I already addressed the issue earlier (if you read my post, there's a lot more than stock, you just latched onto the one word haha).

What about the countless revisions? What about the fact that from YouTube videos and what not, it appears that the issue really hasn't "hit" most OG machines, yet it has consistently failed on AVS 8-bit game clone machines?

Sure, you want to up your chances for a replacement or to perhaps get them to make a reissue that runs properly on AVS 8-bit Nintendo-compatible game machines, but you are looking at the issue from a very narrow-minded, short-sighted approach.

Just buy an OG machine and spring for a crt or something, lol, and be happy that companies are making new kick-ass software for old gaming machines. Or whine and complain when the game doesn't run on your particular nintenda clone, and discourage the companies from ever releasing more kick-ass software, since they can't (within reason) test and guarantee it will run perfectly on every Nintendo clone under the sun.

Edit: BTW, I'm not your bruh, your bro, or your bra. Okay?

LRG agrees that there’s a legit issue, and that’s what matters, so we’re all good bruh. It’s been swell.

• Haha 1

The blatant disrespect you have exhibited is an awful color to wear. The user has requested you to refrain from addressing them this way and you are overtly doing the opposite. Your entitlement and hubris compounds the issue. LRG's first statement to you was that A: they didn't state it works on your console. and B: you need to test in on an NES. You have willingly ignored these things in favor of the belief your hardware has nothing to do with it. This is like installing windows on mac hardware and complaining to microsoft that excel is not working. 

Edited by TylerBarnes
  • Like 5

Homebrew Team · Posted

I play primarily on an aftermarket console, NT mini.  Unless the sales page says, tested to work on NT mini, there are no guarantees.  That is the risk I accept when purchasing those games.  I can understand you were disappointed.  It is great that LRG is planing to send you a replacement.  However, I don't want you to get your hopes up that the replacement will work.  It is an assumption that there are differences in components on the Mall Brawl cart run.  Replacements may never work on your particular AVS.  No one has reported testing multiple Mall Brawl carts on their aftermarket NES.  When someone reports later we will know.  IMO, LRG sending you a replacement, is not vindication.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, TylerBarnes said:

The blatant disrespect you have exhibited is an awful color to wear. The user has requested you to refrain from addressing them this way and you are overtly doing the opposite. Your entitlement and hubris compounds the issue. LRG's first statement to you was that A: they didn't state it works on your console. and B: you need to test in on an NES. You have willingly ignored these things in favor of the belief your hardware has nothing to do with it. This is like installing windows on mac hardware and complaining to microsoft that excel is not working. 

He seemed kinda condescending to start with but yeah, I admit, I reacted badly and got super condescending. I am really sorry about that. Apologies to all.

Another customer was told by his CS rep that the carts were tested on an AVS and should work, and they’d send a replacement, so I was asking for the same treatment. But I do apologize to all here for getting heated.

At any rate, I’m not debating this any further here.

Edited by WaverBoy

9 hours ago, Deadeye said:

I play primarily on an aftermarket console, NT mini.  Unless the sales page says, tested to work on NT mini, there are no guarantees.  That is the risk I accept when purchasing those games.  I can understand you were disappointed.  It is great that LRG is planing to send you a replacement.  However, I don't want you to get your hopes up that the replacement will work.  It is an assumption that there are differences in components on the Mall Brawl cart run.  Replacements may never work on your particular AVS.  No one has reported testing multiple Mall Brawl carts on their aftermarket NES.  When someone reports later we will know.  IMO, LRG sending you a replacement, is not vindication.

Fair points, although she did say she’d ask them to test it on an AVS before they ship it out so I’m hoping that’s a go. The main thing is that they’re trying to help me and I really really appreciate that. If the replacement ends up not working then I’ll thank them profusely for trying, and send it back to them for a refund which they also generously offered. Fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a thread in Twitter suggesting that AVS firmware 1.10 should work for Mall Brawl. This could be why some users are having issues and some are not. I still haven't received my carts so I can't confirm but I will give it a shot when I can.

*EDIT* Can confirm this fixed the issue for at least one other person. I encourage everyone to give it a shot instead of asking for replacement cartridges. If you need help downgrading the firmware, instructions are below. Just use 1.10 instead of the latest one. If a new firmware comes out that fixes it, then upgrading to that version is probably a better idea.

Edited by toma

• 1 month later...

I’m so sorry for being such an entitled asshole idiot about this. Mea culpa. Apologies to everyone here. I got my replacement cart and of course it still glitches. I thanked the poor LRG CS reps profusely for trying to help me and I also apologized.

Thanks so so much for the info about the firmware rollback workaround. Although, I really hope a firmware update comes out that fixes this, whether from Bunnyboy himself or a custom job from some other genius that is far smarter than I. The improvements in the latest firmware version are most desirable.

• Like 2