IGNORED

PC Gaming vs Console

I turned on big picture mode as the default for steam and I've got to say it's great.  I turn on the computer and it loads right into a TV style UI.  My library, the shop, and other features can all be navigated with my Xbox One controller.  It basically turns the PC into a console.  It's worth a try for anyone looking to bridge the gap between consoles and PC.

Edited by zeppelin03
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, zeppelin03 said:

I turned on big picture mode as the default for steam and I've got to say it's great.  I turn on the computer and it loads right into a TV style UI.  My library, the shop, and other features can all be navigated with my Xbox One controller.  It basically turns the PC into a console.

Yeah, that has been my default since I got the Steam Controller a few years back.

It's a really slick interface, and if you get into customization you can add any of your non-Steam content to it, as well.

There are a bunch of great PC front-ends out there (another favorite is LaunchBox)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Yeah, that has been my default since I got the Steam Controller a few years back.

It's a really slick interface, and if you get into customization you can add any of your non-Steam content to it, as well.

There are a bunch of great PC front-ends out there (another favorite is LaunchBox)

That's awesome.  I may have to add my GOG games and BOTW. Then I would never need to leave Big Picture Mode.

I got the Steam controller when it was on sale for $5 but never gave it a fair chance.  May need to change that.

Edited by zeppelin03

11 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

That's awesome.  I may have to add my GOG games and BOTW. Then I would never need to leave Big Picture Mode.

I got the Steam controller when it was on sale for $5 but never gave it a fair chance.  May need to change that.

The Steam controller is fantastic for all sorts of games you never thought you could play properly with a controller, especially if you're willing to get into some of the deep customization.

The only places it hurts are:

(1) games that need a real d-pad  -- the haptic pad d-pad is worthless for that, and analog sticks don't always cut it

(2) games that were fully designed for physical twin sticks (not KB+M games that "get by" with a twin stick implementation) -- you CAN do it with the right-hand haptic pad, but the learning curve is kind of steep, and even then, "true" twin stick games don't work as well as if you just had a second stick.  THAT SAID -- that right haptic pad is AWESOME as a mouse substitute for games that otherwise emulate a mouse with the right-hand stick.  (i.e. you get zero-order control with your thumb versus 1st-order emulation).  So a lot of stuff that compromises by offering a twin stick approximation of the KB+M implementation works vastly better with a Steam Controller once you get used to it.

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Like 2

Console, mostly because I play more retro video games than modern and prefer playing them using real hardware instead of Emulators.

I'm aware that PC's have a much higher resolution and that they usually run games at a smoother framerate, but it's not like consoles/retro games can't look good. Even GameCube still holds up reasonably well visually (and is still fun to play, of course), and several of its games run smooth at 60 FPS. Mine is hooked up with its Component cable, and some games such as Metroid Prime, F-Zero GX, and Twilight Princess still look modern(ish). Some also have Widescreen support, like F-Zero GX, Super Monkey Ball 2, and Super Mario Strikers. Also, nowadays, many games that don't have Widescreen support can be played in Widescreen with Action Replay, and even Animal Crossing looks decent when it is played in both Progressive Scan and Widescreen.

Anyway, console gaming gets my vote...though I can understand why many people prefer PC's.