IGNORED

I got a Neo Geo Pocket Color

I did it. I bought my first NGPC (paid $105) and it’s complete in box.

9E32DED3-6F05-4A11-898C-A8DC03EBD16A.thumb.jpeg.94d85628f42e3f4a25768c464f7995ad.jpeg

cosmetically it’s in poor shape but it works great. I plan to clean it, replace the internal battery, get a backlight mod kit and glass lens, maybe swap the shell and get a Neo SD cart.

i popped this out just to play one level of Sonic and while the game is a miss, the console feels amazing, like wow. Really wish I hadn’t missed out on this back in the day. 

Edited by MiamiSlice
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, MiamiSlice said:

I did it. I bought my first NGPC (paid $105) and it’s complete in box.

9E32DED3-6F05-4A11-898C-A8DC03EBD16A.thumb.jpeg.94d85628f42e3f4a25768c464f7995ad.jpeg

cosmetically it’s in poor shape but it works great. I plan to clean it, replace the internal battery, get a backlight mod kit and glass lens, maybe swap the shell and get a Neo SD cart.

i popped this out just to play one level of Sonic and while the game is a miss, the console feels amazing, like wow. Really wish I hadn’t missed out on this back in the day. 

Sonic pocket adventure is a miss? I thought it was one of the top sonic games

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phart010 said:

For me it's the same problem with any handheld Sonic game on early handheld consoles. The performance just isn't there for the speed Sonic runs at. On here you get terrible motion blur and you can't see anything. It also doesn't help that the screen is 3:4 instead of 4:3. You have very little real estate to see what's ahead. 

I'm sure it's a well designed game, it looks wonderful, don't get me wrong. But it feels unplayable. 

1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Man, that seems like a great deal. Was it local?

Nah, Reddit. Couldn't pass it up. Maybe I should put it in my hunting thread? You can find loose NGPC's on eBay for less, usually from Japan, and complete in box in better condition for $150 or so. Felt like the right price for the condition and I don't mind the condition. 

Also, update, I had one spare 2032 battery on my desk so I already replaced that. So far so good! Now need to look into how to disassemble so I can clean everything. 

Congrats.  It's a fun system.  I love mine. 

I recommend the NeoPocket GameDrive from Retro HQ.  Saint makes great products.  

Also, make sure you try out both Metal Slug games when you get a chance. Really great games that work well on the portable platform.

Edited by TDIRunner

1 hour ago, phart010 said:

OK I just had another go with it and I take back what I said. It's great for what it is. I'm tempted to play through the whole thing. Gah. What a great console. Such a shame it didn't take off. 

19 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Congrats.  It's a fun system.  I love mine. 

I recommend the NeoPocket GameDrive from Retro HQ.  Saint makes great products.  

Also, make sure you try out both Metal Slug games when you get a chance. Really great games that work well on the portable platform.

Yes the Game Drive is what I'm planning to get. And will defo check those out. Thanks. 

7 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

Yes the Game Drive is what I'm planning to get. And will defo check those out. Thanks. 

I used to own a Flash Masta.  It's also a great product, and has good support.  It's also a little cheaper, but it doesn't have an SD card.  You have to flash either two small games or one large game at a time.  When Retro HQ released his SD version I upgraded right away.  

Curious how battered the system is if you call it poor as $105 with the box is fairly low so I'm curious.

Handheld legend has a fantastic kit for the thing and comes with the glass lens needed for the smaller panel that is used on these.  I hope you're not missing the battery covers as they're basically impossible to replace at least as a match.  I've seen 3d printed stuff, all of them wafery ugly minimal effort into it and never a color match.

Look at SAG to get the Neo Geo SD Kit from RetroHQ which they sell under another name now.  It makes it so worth the effort as the prices of the games aren't fun and worse with epidemic profiteering going on right now so basically 1-2 games (if that) would pay for the thing.

Well in that case I don't know your skill level or cares but you could get to fixing or creative.

It will be torn apart anyway to fix the panel with a lit one, so maybe when doing the process (work now) find a matching paint or one you want.  Give it a few coats, then clear coat it on top so it doesn't come off on your hands from play.  You should be able to make a new silver sparkly paint like that or whatever shade you care for.  The lens will come off with the kit for a glass one, so otherwise it looks like you're in good shape.

I've got the same one here but it's not roughed up box and all and around 15~ games as well on top of that kit.  Personally though I think that Sonic game is the most fun handheld sonic game I've played and I had the GG ones.  This one feels like a portable Sonic 2 that's modified a little.

Sonic Pocket is great.

I used to be super into NGPC years ago. This was back when you could still buy that Sonic console bundle for $45 all day. Yikes. And many of the CIB games were still easily findable around $20 - I remember getting Pac-Man for like $18 sealed back then. Crazy.

Anyway, my recommendation is Card Fighters Clash. Loved that game. Check it out if you're a fan of Pokemon TCG and want something similar.

Yeah in the last 5 years I think now the SNK pricing disease has crept into the NGPC realm.  Right now the loose carts are going for higher than the complete games did not very long ago, and the regional stuff which really wasn't puffed up either is at disgusting levels (rockman, cotton, faselei english ver, evolution english ver uk only) as some examples.  Personally I'd suggest to anyone not looking for shelf queen level goodies just to buy loose, or get for around $100 one of the NGPC sd kits retrohq made they're having stone age gamer peddle for them now.