IGNORED

Not the oldest living Confederate widow - but close enough.

Tabonga

This is pretty incredible:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/irene-triplett-last-person-collect-100048991.html

The article mentions that Henry Morton Stanley also served on both sides (actually that was not rare). Stanley was what was called a galvanized yankee*.  (He was also the famed Stanley as in "Stanley and Livingstone.")

*For those of you not familiar with the term a galvanized yankee was a Confederate prisoner of war who joined the Union army with the proviso that he would only serve on the western frontier so he would not have to fight the southern army.   I recently read a so-so book on Andersonville where the author uses the term to describe Union prisoners of war who joined the Confederate army.  I have never seen that usage before (or since) - so either the author was mistaken or it is a really obscure factoid of history. (It was very much a passing mention so there was no meat to it whatsoever.)

Wow, I was talking about this person with my brother just two days ago.

It's really an amazing story, and reminds me of President John Tyler's two grandsons.

John Tyler was the 10th president of the United States, serving from April 4, 1841 – April 4, 1845. He was born on March 29, 1790 and died on January 17, 1862.

He fathered Lyon Gardiner Tyler who was born on August 24, 1853 and died on February 12, 1935. He fathered Lyon Gardiner Tyler Jr. who was born in 1924, and Harrison Ruffin Tyler in 1928. They are still alive today.

The timeline is crazy though since the American Civil War was in the early 1860s and we're talking about living grandchildren for Tyler...This woman was a CHILD of someone who fought in the Civil War. Amazing!

• Like 1

Here is footage from what I believe was the last civil war reunion (at Gettysburg with about 1850 veterans from both sides).

And here is footage of a recreation of the famous (infamous?) rebel yell - by all accounts it was quite chilling (from the Northern side anyway - I imagine from the Southern side it was likely invigorating) on the battlefiled.  This is obviously a pale imitiation since it was done by a relatively few old men rather than hundreds/thousands of young men.

Edited by Tabonga

1 minute ago, Estil said:

PS: Do you guys realize that any one of us could just as easily live to be over 100?

They say the first person who will ever live to be 200 years old is probably alive today.

But with all the stress I've been through in my life, I barely want to make it to retirement 😛

2 minutes ago, Estil said:

And this right here is the very last confirmed Civil War veteran...my wife was born a little over four months after he died.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Woolson

PS: Do you guys realize that any one of us could just as easily live to be over 100?

I only want to do that if I have relatively good health - I don't want to slowly fall apart from various maladies.

Just now, ThePhleo said:

But with all the stress I've been through in my life, I barely want to make it to retirement 😛

Take it from me - it is worth it when you get there.  I am so glad that I no longer have to eat sh*t sandwhiches on a regular basis  in a twisted PC environment. 🥵

Just now, Tabonga said:

Take it from me - it is worth it when you get there.  I am so glad that I no longer have to eat sh*t sandwhiches on a regular basis  in a twisted PC environment. 🥵

I beg your pardon?  Dude you really are retirement age?  And I thought I was among the oldest here...conversely I'm probably among the youngest over at the psacard.com forums!  *shurgs* What, kids don't like baseball cards anymore? 😞 

1 minute ago, Estil said:

I beg your pardon?  Dude you really are retirement age?  And I thought I was among the oldest here...conversely I'm probably among the youngest over at the psacard.com forums!  *shurgs* What, kids don't like baseball cards anymore? 😞 

Yep - retired in 2014.   I was overjoyed to tape some mistletoe to the back of my jeans and sashay out the door!  Unlike Orpheus I never looked back.......

Just now, Tabonga said:

"I see" said the blind man to the deaf man over the disconnected telephone.  ^____^

If people even use connected, non-cordless phones anymore...I imagine me choosing not to have a touchscreen phone (it just wouldn't do me personally any good) is already old fashioned enough!  Imagine if I didn't even have a cordless!!

36 minutes ago, Estil said:

If people even use connected, non-cordless phones anymore...I imagine me choosing not to have a touchscreen phone (it just wouldn't do me personally any good) is already old fashioned enough!  Imagine if I didn't even have a cordless!!

Mrs. Tobanga and I are true reactionaries in that regard - we just have a landline. (One of them doesn't have a cord though.)

I've always been fascinated with President Tyler's two grandsons as well as the last living Civil War pension beneficiary, Irene Triplett. It makes me wonder how the sex was when Mose Triplett was 83!

Also, at an estimated 300-400 US WW2 deaths per day and less than 8,000 veterans still alive in Minnesota alone, it wont be long before we're interviewing the last soldier of that great war.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Count said:

I've always been fascinated with President Tyler's two grandsons as well as the last living Civil War pension beneficiary, Irene Triplett. It makes me wonder how the sex was when Mose Triplett was 83!

Also, at an estimated 300-400 US WW2 deaths per day and less than 8,000 veterans still alive in Minnesota alone, it wont be long before we're interviewing the last soldier of that great war.

It wasn't that long ago that the last WWI veteran died - her name was Florence Green and she died in 2012.

6 hours ago, ChickenTendas4PokeyEater said:

Do you have a source on this? Nothing against you, but this sounds like bs.

It’s scientific community hyperbole.

If medical technology and Expected lifespans keep progressing at the rate they are today, then they expect that someone out of the hundreds of millions (maybe even a Billion?) of people who was born sometime this decade may very well love to be 200 years old.

It’s like compounding interest.

I think the human body has physical limits as far as how long it can keep cellular regeneration going, but I’m no biologist...I doubt anyone will ever live past their 120s, and even the one lady who did live past 120 is believed to be a liar who assumed her mothers identity in the 1930s.

I'm more inclined to believe closer to 150 than 200.  Tech improves, people in general are living longer too as we're see notably more people into their 90s and tipping 100 now than decades ago.

As far as that earlier comment goes, living long maybe nice for some, but yeah, I can agree with the issues/stress vs who cares if you make it to retirement age crack.  As it stands now I don't see retirement being an option.