IGNORED

Stargate SG-1 watch through and other Science Fiction

Matchbook

So the last time I remember watching this was probably in 1998 or 99 when I was 9 or 10.  Star Trek was a little too scientific for me at that age if you will.  I found this easier to grasp and enjoyed the underlying comical moments.  But I noticed a few months ago that all 10 seasons are on Amazon Prime and started watching them.  I'm currently on episode 8 of Season 2 and am loving it.  I'm excited to see the 8.5 seasons that I have never watched much to my wifes dismay haha.  She loves Star Trek but this show gets on her nerves; maybe that makes watching it even more pleasurable!  The only thing she can laugh at is Teal'c and his seemingly endless stone cold faces and reactions HA!  With 20-25 episodes a season (something we will never see in television again), it will take a little time to consume.  Not to mention the 4 or so movies and Stargate Atlantis and Stargate Universe that came after.

Anyone else like anything from the Stargate franchise?  I also have been watching Farscape (a great cult classic).  What other classic (pre 2000 I guess?) Science fiction movies or series would you recommend giving a watch through.

I'll add that we watched Dune again for the first time in probably 20 years and I am just amazed by the level of detail and effort that used to go into "special effects", make up and monster creation before the dawn of CGI.  It is definitely going to be a lost art form.

Edited by Matchbook

4 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

X-Files.  Though I honestly enjoy the monster of the week episodes more than the overarching conspiracy storyline

That has to be my wifes favorite all time.  I enjoy it to and there is a lot of content there as well.  Man some of those first episodes are so cheesy!  I remember one specifically where all the alarms clocks kept changing time by them selves and was causing people to absolutely lose their minds.  Classic!

I sort of liked the Stargate Universe series - the first half season was good but it began to show the constraints that being on one ship placed on the plots. 

If you don't remember it Sliders was pretty good - at least through the first 3 seasons after which John Rhys Davies left - the last couple of seasons the episodes seemed to get increasingly silly.

One older strange sci fi/spy show that is pretty interesting is a very short one called The Prisoner from 1967.  It starred Patrick McGoohan as a former spy (the one he played in an earlier series called Secret Agent Man) who is kidnapped and placed in a futuristic village where his captors play all sorts of mind games on him.  The series only had (by design) 17 episodes. One interesting thing is that the series only had two characters who were in all of the episodes - Patrick McGoohan and Angelo Muscat (as a mute butler who never spoke!).  

Edited by Tabonga

I enjoyed all the Stargate series, though I thought each new one that came along was a little less good than it's predecessor.  I did watch Farscape all the way thru but it was very uneven, and downright laughable at times.

I'll recommend Babylon 5, still my favorite 'Space Station' series, as your next watch.

re: Stargate, the 1995 movie is one of my favorites. jumped on the show right away due to that fact, but didn't really like it. realistically,  i likely didn't give it a fair shake so am probably due for a (re?)watch.

as far as suggestions, the aforementioned Sliders is far and away my #1 pick. parallel dimensions are my scifi jam, so i was deep into the show. i second the idea to stop after season 3. 

x-files is the only other one i was heavily a fan of. the action, the ideas, the darkness, the intrigue, the conspiracy, it all just rolled into a perfect show IMO.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen all of Stargate sg1 but I did watch a significant chunk of it on late night tv way back when.  I was always also a big fan of Atlantis.  

x-files is phenomenal.  Watched all the way through again not that long ago.  I agree that the monster of the week episodes were the best part.

Also a big fan of Fringe.  Denethor is so good in it.  I don’t think it gets enough love.

• Like 1

I actually for the first time bothered to try the franchise (aside from the awesome movie) out last year.  Did all of SG1 then did the follow up shows too start to end back to back.  What an amazing ride and it was fun, not nerdy or technical, just a real solid adventure through space and time.   LIke you I also did Farscape, but between those shows I did Andromeda which was quite solid.  If you want more of a space drama vibe, Babylon 5 is totally worth it.