IGNORED

What emulators can I run without problems? PC specs inside..

ApebitMusic

I'm barely conjuring the energy to even respond to all this, but, a few things...

1) I'm definitely not a streamer.

2) I was pretty sure at this point emulation is generally accepted. I can see if I was pirating or emulating current hardware where there would be an issue.

3) You seem very adamant that I need to go test things for myself but I don't see why it is such an issue to get a general consensus and save myself some headache. 

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, LaytToTheParty said:

Newspapers? Not sure if you can even call that comparable.

The promotion and seemingly open acceptance that it's okay to do was really my point. You don't see prominent movie channels on YT saying 'it's super good so watch it any way you can *nudge nudge wink wink*'.

I think, maybe they do.

Edited by Nintegageo
maybe they do?

Administrator · Posted
47 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

The promotion and seemingly open acceptance that it's okay to do was really my point. You don't see prominent movie channels on YT saying 'it's super good so watch it any way you can *nudge nudge wink wink*'.

I think, maybe they do.

They do. 

41 minutes ago, Gloves said:

They do. 

Really? That seems like a surefire way to get demonetized. But regardless, it is true that it isn't promoted to the point of emulation. I mean, you have channels with millions of subscribers that are built around softmodding systems and emulation. Modern Vintage Gamer and MyMateVince come to mind, but there are some really big ones with 1,000,000+ subs that use emulation as their main content- how to's, tutorials, tips and tricks, showcases, reviews, ect. 

To be honest, I love that emulation opens up games to a new audience. Hardly anyone would be able to experience Pazer Dragoon Saga if that weren't the case. Nevertheless, it is a bit of a legal and moral grey area, but if the system has been discontinued and games are no longer being sold for it at retailers, then I say go for it. I was suprised to see the Wii was getting new releases as recently as last year.

Edited by LaytToTheParty

Administrator · Posted

I certainly wouldn't say they all do, but I've seen it from some big ones a few times at least. 

Movies ARE a bit different though, in that just about every movie out there can be experienced with a few clicks for a few bucks. 

Show me an official, legal way of playing EVO Search for Eden (an expensive to buy snes game) (for example) or any other number of snes, nes, N64, etc games, and I'll eat my hat. 

There's a decent argument that if the company isn't providing some way for me to play their old games, outside of the second hand market, that it's pretty fair game to obtain it by some other means. They're not profiting when I buy a game off ebay, and thus they are not losing money when I emulate it. 

• Like 4

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, LaytToTheParty said:

Fair point. I'm just baffled when I see how big the Switch and ps4 piracy scene is. There's even an emulator, Yuzu iirc, that can run certain Switch games in locked 60fps already. @Gloves

Yeah I don't really agree w/ Switch or other modern console emulation/hacking. Ideologically anyway. I think it's interesting as a tech person, but I also think that the minds behind that stuff could certainly be doing better things for the world.

It should be noted also that many disc-based emulators actually support loading from official discs. That's how I used to play FF12 on my laptop - I used an emulator, yes, but I was inserting my own FF12 disc into the laptop to load and play it. In many cases the greater power afforded the PC/laptop can mean a smoother experience than on original hardware. Just a sidenote.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gloves said:

Yeah I don't really agree w/ Switch or other modern console emulation/hacking. Ideologically anyway. I think it's interesting as a tech person, but I also think that the minds behind that stuff could certainly be doing better things for the world.

It should be noted also that many disc-based emulators actually support loading from official discs. That's how I used to play FF12 on my laptop - I used an emulator, yes, but I was inserting my own FF12 disc into the laptop to load and play it. In many cases the greater power afforded the PC/laptop can mean a smoother experience than on original hardware. Just a sidenote.

Yup. Sounds like BLEEM! 2.0

On 5/26/2020 at 11:02 PM, Gloves said:

Same page here as with your earlier post.  If it's dead, it's fair game because I'd rather just borrow it than pay someone some puffed up price because well too many tools feed the beast as none of it goes back to the makers in any form.  And it ticks me off seeing a modern system emulated, and so well to run retail stuff clearly done from ripped(warez) games no less, but on the technology side I've been that way since 1995 when I discovered an early zip file with 50 odd GB games and the original old VGB emulator, days later Pasofami(NES) and its weird formatted games.  At least those things at that point were running off the market stuff and the development was truly fascinating which is why I helped in some early projects within my means.  I never did cross the line on ROMs but rarely, usually was a try before I bought deal and if it sucks I erased it, if it was good and current (GBC, N64 forward) I'd buy it.  I found ultimately all that temporary theft actually benefited both parties as I avoided crap and stuff I didn't think I'd like got bought so it balanced out and I'd enjoy it as it should on the hardware it was made for.

I've done what you did like with FF12, for a time I didn't have a PS2 but I had kept my Midway era games and the two PS2 games I touched (NHL Hitz 2002 and Legion Legend of Excalibur) I'd pop in and play, did it with some PS1 stuff too as it ran better than on real hardware load times too (still does for me with some PCE CDs on Magic Engine vs my Duo.)