IGNORED

Welcome!

TylerBarnes

Greetings, 

I know many of you out there like to enjoy your video gaming related endeavors at the highest quality possible. And there is no matching the quality you get from running RGB analog equipment like vintage consoles and micro computers, into Native RGB analog broadcasting gear such as the Sony PVM/BVM Trinitron series and the like. Pull up a seat, have a chat about your gear, gear you want, crazy eBay prices, service manuals, help newbies asking questions, and whatever else goes into getting the most out of your Professional CRT Monitor. 

-Tyler 

For sure! First question, and this is more of a way of guidance by asking..... Where are you planning on buying it from? Reason I ask is in this day age eBay, like with most things is not the place anymore for affordability. My suggestion is to join the few main PVM groups on FB, and keep an eye on who is doing the restoring and dealing around there. The culture around these units is still that the people really stuck in this hobby are not really willing to pay top dollar so easily. So there are still some decent prices to be had.

This is the one I have had a good time in and is large: https://www.facebook.com/groups/443876159318988/

Steve Nutter is a Mod and does Repairs to sell units. 
Arty Myers also deals units and has good shipping/prices/transparency

Another common way people acquire these units is to visit, call, or email schools/college, medical facilities, libraries, and old broadcasting/studio related places and simply ask something to the tune of:

"I know this is random, but I am interested in old electronics and equipment, CRT tube displays in particular, and was asking if your business has any that have been decommissioned or are not being used? I know it is an old technology that doesn't have a use for many current businesses in this day and age, but they have a use for me personally and I ask you to please consider donating or selling on of these old CRT displays to me. 
-Regards" 

EDIT: This sparked a great idea for a topic. Expanded on this and wrote up a "How to Get Started?" thread. 

Edited by TylerBarnes

I got mine locally from a guy who’s regularly at swaps and shows in the area. You’ll probably get a better deal that way and won’t have to worry about shipping. Is there anything in your area? Also, what size are you looking for? The dude I know still has some and some 19” BVMs too. 

Homebrew Team · Posted

@Gloves

I think it helps to ask what features and inputs you want out of the PVM or BVM.  For me, it was important to be able to use both component and RGB.  Some models only take RGB, others only take S-video and composite.  

Older units have less ease of adjustments, i.e. no or little dials on the front.

If you are looking for a deal, be flexible about the screen size. However I would suggest 14" or larger.

Once you nail down some of your wants, we can guide you to models.

Administrator · Posted

@Deadeye I'd say I'm fairly flexible. 14' or so sounds good to me. I'll be fairly close to the screen. I have a SNES and  N64, both RGB modded, and SCART cables for both. I also have the HDRetrovision cable which they both can use.

My goal is simply to be able to use my SNES and N64 on this TV which will be hidden away in the corner of my bedroom. I want a lag-free and good looking experience. High quality for sure is a must, though I am not looking to spend a grand if I can help it. 

Ideally as "plug and play" as possible. I'd like to avoid having to buy some sort of adapter. 

Extra nice to have: If I can play PS1 on it as well that'd be lovely.

Homebrew Team · Posted

@Gloves

I didn't realize you talked more in the other thread.  I replied more in depth there.  In short, Sony PVM-14M2U was a good model for me.  You can compare models using the info on retrorgb website above.  Besides the inputs the unit takes, the biggest difference is number of horizontal lines, 400, 600, or 800.

I think the model I use or one similar would work well for you.  It takes RGB, S-video, and component.

How I have it set up:

Component switch with NES, Wii, and a 486 computer through a scaller (Extron VSC 500)

PlayStation on S-video.

In this setup, I don't need to switch cables at all.

You can do this with a RGB switch as well.  They are less common, scart switches are common, but expensive.  You can make a RGB switch using a VGA switch and adapters.  Or just unplug cables in the back as you need to.

Administrator · Posted

@Deadeye There's a dude a few cities away with two of that exact model, $350 a piece or $600 for both (Canadian). Does that sound worth it? How heavy are they? I'll have to take the train a few cities over there lug it all the way home, probably hour and a half or so both ways...

Homebrew Team · Posted

@Gloves I purchased mine for $220 +$40 shipping off eBay in January.  I haven't been following prices since then, so I can't say. 

37 lbs

Here is the short manual:

https://www.broadcaststore.com/pdf/model/15570/sony_pvm14m2u.pdf

Use can search for the longer service manual online as well.

Edited by Deadeye

Hey guys very cool club.  I got my first PVM from a friend and it was a 14".  I was so blown away at the time I immediately started looking for a 20" set.  I got a lead on one and on a rainy December day in 2016 I drove to Austin from Dallas to pickup a 20m2u.  Since then I got into RGB modding consumer CRTs.  I currently have a 20m2u, 20m4u, and a 27" Consumer Sony that is RGB modded.  I tend to prefer playing on my consumer set since I prefer the bigger screen size.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ginoscope said:

Hey guys very cool club.  I got my first PVM from a friend and it was a 14".  I was so blown away at the time I immediately started looking for a 20" set.  I got a lead on one and on a rainy December day in 2016 I drove to Austin from Dallas to pickup a 20m2u.  Since then I got into RGB modding consumer CRTs.  I currently have a 20m2u, 20m4u, and a 27" Consumer Sony that is RGB modded.  I tend to prefer playing on my consumer set since I prefer the bigger screen size.

Sup Dallas homie. 😉

• Like 1