IGNORED

2019-2020 NBA Season

Psychobear85

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a lifelong basketball fan, was playing everyday before daylight savings, and the Celtics are hot, but I've only watched a few NBA games this year, didn't buy NBA2K for the first time ever, and have mostly just been watching old games on Youtube. When I do watch, I mostly just sympathize with all of Jeff Van Gundy's complaints about the modern era, lol. I'm amazed he still gets a TV job with the league with the amount of griping he does. Even TNT superimposing the shot clock onto the free throw line, who needs that? Basketball has been such a big part of my identity my whole life, it almost makes me not feel like myself that I no longer feel passionate about the current state of the sport. I wish I could just make myself enjoy it, but the league doesn't really entertain me now. The people who predicted the 3 point line would ruin the sport 40 years ago saw this as the eventuality. If you shoot 40% from the 3 point line, your opponent needs to shoot 60% from the 2 point range just to break even. If they ever make a 4 point line, you'll only have to shoot %20 from there. It's a discouraging realization. I really thought Gregg Popovich was gonna quit a few years ago.

I really hope someday the Kentucky Colonels come back (ABA team in 1967-76 that just missed the partial merger; the only time since 1900 Kentucky has ever had a major league team in any sport).  Until then I got no real vested interest in the NBA (though I do collect some of the Fleer/Ultra basketball cards from the late 80s-mid-90s in addition to my usual football/baseball card collections) and will just stick with my Cats.  Both the kind that play basketball and the kind that say meow meow 🙂

Edited by Estil

1 hour ago, trj22487 said:

Even TNT superimposing the shot clock onto the free throw line, who needs that? 

Exsqueeze me?  Why in the world of all places would the shot clock need to be superimposed onto the free throw line?  Isn't the scoring bug/bar on the bottom good enough?

1 hour ago, Estil said:

Exsqueeze me?  Why in the world of all places would the shot clock need to be superimposed onto the free throw line?  Isn't the scoring bug/bar on the bottom good enough?

Exactly, literally inches on your screen. It's just using technology for the sake of using technology, but it looks tacky.

spacer.png

Edited by trj22487

I dont see the problem with it.  I dont watch many national broadcasts. I watch rockets regional network 

i dont share the opinion of the nba is worse. Its pretty much as good as ever. Better shooters, more athletic. I dont miss those 87-82 90s  game snoozers.

You are nostalgic for that era nba, like us all. But cmon dont be an old man already.

Edited by Quest4Nes

14 hours ago, Quest4Nes said:

Better shooters, more athletic. I dont miss those 87-82 90s  game snoozers.

You are nostalgic for that era nba, like us all. But cmon dont be an old man already.

I'm talking like five years ago my man. The athletes were just the same and the talent was just the same. Fuck, everyone was just as athletic 25 years ago. You're not gonna convince me these guys are so much better than Dominique Wilkins. I think the NBA was in a WAY better place in the Heat/Spurs era half a decade ago, and I'm not even a fan of those franchises. From 1995-2013 the NBA was basically a 15-20 3PAttempts league. Then it suddenly jumped to 25, and this year we are up to 33 per game. It's gonna hit 40 in a few years. The league is also at a single digit offensive rebound average. This is downright terrible dude. You aren't even allowed to put a hand on somebody defensively, and now teams are just casting up from 3 no matter which player it is. "Positionless basketball" they call it. It's so bland. I just really miss the Tim Duncan's, the Dirk Nowitzki's, Steve Nash, Paul Pierce, Kobe Bryant and the league they played in compared to the Hulu-Has-Live-Sports one we live in now. The other night I looked at the scoreline in the NBA and there was not a single game out of about a dozen where a team scored less than 100 points. That is not a good thing. The NBA needs grit. It can't all be showmanship and offensive flair. The television ratings last year were the worst of the decade, and the league isn't coming off a lockout. Some of the best games of all time were 80-90 point games.

Last season was also 21st/74th in terms of shooting percentage in the NBA through the history of the league. This season is currently down at 38th/74th. This is WITHOUT HAND CHECKING. I don't know who you're trying to fool into thinking guys are better shooters today. Yeah James Harden is better than almost anyone I've ever seen, but the league he's playing in isn't!

Edited by trj22487

If you go by overall shooting percentage, the top 20 shooting seasons in the league actually took place between 1978-1997. So last season, the 21st, actually was the best we've seen in a long time, but again, the is with as little defensive contact and as much protection for the shooters from the referees as we have ever seen. But this season it has tanked down for some reason. The worst shooting I've seen in my life was the early 2000s which the numbers seem to back up. The league in general had a very poor shooting touch in that era. When the league transitioned to ABC/ESPN in 2002, and the MJ retired for good in '03, those were some dark days for the NBA for a while. 2003 Finals bored me more than the last couple Cavs/Warriors ones did, so at least there's that.

Edited by trj22487

I dont get it man, I was entertained 25 years ago. Im entertained today. I dont see any problem with the NBA today playstyle wise. 

Your problem is you started watching basketball when pace of play was at its lowest. Pace of play has picked up. That leads to more possessions. That leads to higher scores. I dont see how someone can hate a higher paced games. 

At times I do feel like a hater. I don't wish to feel the way I do.

This is the team I have my earliest memories of. They were fantastic. They weren't individually fast and had to use long passes to make up for it, but the absolutely played a fast paced team game. I call them the "Showtime Celtics" To this day they still hold the record for most points in a Playoff game (though choked away the series after that)

Also, I've always taken you to be a big Rockets fan, but not a big fan of the entire league in general to the point of j. I've always been a big fan of the league in general. I used to watch games passionately no matter who the teams or players are. If you're just watching local Rockets broadcasts, I understand why you might be enjoying it more than me. Hell, I don't even get the local Celtics broadcasts anymore so the national games are all I have to go by.

I've also always been an unabashed NBA on NBC homer. Even back in Spring 2002 I was aware the transition was going to take place and was overwhelmingly sad about it. I've always hated the way ESPN/ABC handles the league. I think they are partly to blame for the overall "dull" vibe many people complain about. I also really dislike the apparel Nike puts out for the NBA, I personally loved the Champion and Adidas stuff much better (and in general I wear Nike!)

I also feel like there is not a lot of variety in the players anymore, they are all good at the same things and not good at the same things. Nobody is very good at posting up. Everybody is exceptional at ball handling. Not many players are savy decision makers anymore. But they all have a ton of athleticism. Just about everybody does too much complaining and too much posing for my liking.

It's not just me that feels this way. If you google "NBA is boring" you find all sorts of complaints around the internet. google "NBA is exciting" and I can't find anything. Maybe it's just because people in general like to complain online, and don't necessarily go write a review of something when they thought it was great.

I also think social media had a really shitty impact on the league. Just an outside influence that is out of everybody's hands, but I think it was for the worse in many ways.

And then NBA2K has really fall off its prime the last couple of years which toned down my real life interest in the league.

I did really enjoy watching the Raptors run last year. But it was just a one-and-done thing, and the Warriors team they had to go against was a joke. It already feels like it was just a dream or something.

On an off hand comment, can you believe this thread was created on October 22 and has less than 50 views? If that doesn't say something lol....I guess a lot of our sports members must not have transitioned over.

Also the same year I started watching the NBA the Phoenix Suns scored 107 points in the 1st half of a game against the Nuggets, and the Suns ended the game 0-2 from 3 point range. 107 points in 24 minutes without a single 3 pointer. I just don't buy into the rhetoric that todays Millenial players are so much more evolved and talented than the Generation X players. Tom Chambers in his prime would eat a lot of these guys for breakfast.

Edited by trj22487

• 1 month later...

Why did James hold that ball so long?

you gotta like Beverley. 

I haven’t cared for basketball much in the 2000’s (I’m a 90’s fan when scores were 90-85) but I think Leonard is the only basketball player I’ve personally liked in a long time. 

Edited by skinnygrinny