IGNORED

What's the next big spike

DefaultGen

Although it is pretty hard to predict "spikes", I feel like it is pretty easy to guess which systems are going to gap higher in the next few years...PS1, N64, GBC, GBA, followed closely by Gamecube.  The 20-25 year mark since the end of the console is when things really start hitting their stride (although for Nintendo systems it might be more  like 15-20 years).  EVERYTHING will gap higher for those systems...carts/CIB/Sealed/Graded.  The older stuff (NES/SNES/SMS/Genesis (although GEN was late to the party, so it might still have some room to run)) will continue in a holding pattern with any carts that aren't rare or popular declining in value or staying steady.  CIB should hold value, and there will always be demand from collectors for NIB or ultra rare stuff. Kids who were 10 years old in 2000 don't want NES games, they want the N64/GCN/PS1 games they remember as a kid, and now they are 30 years old and have money. The retro videogaming economy isn't about what collectors find cool, it is about what the masses find cool!

Jaysus.  One of these threads made me check prices on PS1 games and I was floored by what I saw.  Blasting through the roof.  All kinds of $50 - 70ish stuff that hadn’t seen any significant movement in forever has just blown up.  Friggin Brigandine sat at about 110 forever and it’s basically doubled overnight.