IGNORED

What's the next big spike

DefaultGen

1. Movie / Comic related games. I expect the values of Wolverine, X-Men, Spiderman and Disney games to go way up from crossover in collecting.

2. Prototypes. I have no idea why prototypes to some of the most iconic games are still only worth $2000, there should be another zero on there. I personally think the development prototype to a popular game should be worth way more than a competition cartridge which has more than 100 copies known.

• Like 1

Just now, Code Monkey said:

1. Movie / Comic related games. I expect the values of Wolverine, X-Men, Spiderman and Disney games to go way up from crossover in collecting.

2. Prototypes. I have no idea why prototypes to some of the most iconic games are still only worth $2000, there should be another zero on there. I personally think the development prototype to a popular game should be worth way more than a competition cartridge which has more than 100 copies known.

I kind of get this.  They're like ashcan comic books.

My honest answer: I think complete DS games will be pricey in the future since Gamestop trashed so many cases and manuals. Also a lot of games on the DS utilize the unique features of that handheld and are either impossible to port or can’t be done without compromising important parts of the gameplay.

It isn’t as bad as Game Boy, but the price difference between loose and CIB is wide for a lot of DS games already.

1 hour ago, Speedy_NES said:

Ditto; I started going for a CIB Famicom set a year ago, and, at least in the Benelux, prices are 2-3x what they were summer 2018 (at auction; I've noticed a great increase in bidders).

Honestly, even locally I've noticed prices going up.  Many used shops that I've been to have old games, and I used to be able to grab stuff out of a bin for 100 yen each, but they seem to have discovered that they can sell these things for a lot online.

At PRGE this year, loose Atari games were individually priced at almost every vendor (although of course still unsorted and haphazardly thrown in a box). I think there was ONE dollar bin of games on the floor.

Of course no one was buying any of them in any case. However, if one person bought an individually priced copy of Pac-Man for $5, they would single handedly increase the market price of that game tenfold.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Strangest said:

My honest answer: I think complete DS games will be pricey in the future since Gamestop trashed so many cases and manuals. Also a lot of games on the DS utilize the unique features of that handheld and are either impossible to port or can’t be done without compromising important parts of the gameplay.

It isn’t as bad as Game Boy, but the price difference between loose and CIB is wide for a lot of DS games already.

Possibly. But I’ve seen tons of DS fakes that look pretty real. I kind of wonder if fakes will screw up the collector market for ds

I don't really understand the sealed hype. I have some CIB games for the artwork and maps and stuff but if I buy Something I want to be able to play it too. Is CIB on the rise as well? Or is relegated to the slabbed sealed games only? I mostly collect loose games ( yeah I'm a peasant ) and I've noticed a trend of price drops on loose games even the rarer games. I've been picking some up at prices 18 months ago I would have never expected. I got a fire and ice a few months ago for 90 and a north vs south at a brick and mortar for 25 plus tax. Not ridiculous deals but prices I wasn't expecting.

On 10/25/2019 at 6:34 PM, DefaultGen said:

At PRGE this year, loose Atari games were individually priced at almost every vendor (although of course still unsorted and haphazardly thrown in a box). I think there was ONE dollar bin of games on the floor.

Of course no one was buying any of them in any case. However, if one person bought an individually priced copy of Pac-Man for $5, they would single handedly increase the market price of that game tenfold.

And here I just dropped a dumb amount on a few Atari rarer cartridges not too long ago.

The thing with Atari is that the common and popular cartridges from back in the day are extremely common still. That’s good if you want a solid library of the important games for the system, but it’s bad for game stores where the supply far exceeds the demand. I’ve been to some stores where you could build a small house with their stash of Combat carts. They started giving them away with any Atari purchase, and if you politely declined, they’d ask you nicely to please take one.

The way to play this to your advantage is to go to a game store that automatically thinks “garbage” when they get Atari stuff in and throws them all in piles like that. I amassed a large collection of Atari carts from a store near me that umbrella priced them at $2, and I managed to walk out with some rarer or more expensive Atari cartridges for that price a few times.

On 10/26/2019 at 8:38 AM, Dragonwarrior83 said:

I don't really understand the sealed hype. I have some CIB games for the artwork and maps and stuff but if I buy Something I want to be able to play it too. Is CIB on the rise as well? Or is relegated to the slabbed sealed games only? I mostly collect loose games ( yeah I'm a peasant ) and I've noticed a trend of price drops on loose games even the rarer games. I've been picking some up at prices 18 months ago I would have never expected. I got a fire and ice a few months ago for 90 and a north vs south at a brick and mortar for 25 plus tax. Not ridiculous deals but prices I wasn't expecting.

CIB stuff is seeing a spike based on condition. The minty stuff is going for a premium. There was always a gap there between nicer copies and more worn ones but is seems as though that gap is beginning to widen, and fast.

On 10/25/2019 at 5:10 PM, Code Monkey said:

1.  I could see certain movies maybe but mostly comics and they are already in the hype mix I just sold a sealed silver surfer for 525! 

2. I agree wholeheartedly on prototypes. They were never ever supposed to make it out into the general public but of course they did! The problem is no one cares! I can’t even get a section devoted to prototypes but yet there’s a section for speculation of video game economics(seriously why does this get its own thread). Sealed in top condition is the top of the mountain in video game collecting. Quick note on top of the mountain it’s actually the box art but there’s only so many that can afford those. 

On 10/25/2019 at 5:11 PM, RH said:

I kind of get this.  They're like ashcan comic books.

Protos definitely have the rarity, but will a market develop?   A significant market hasn't really developed for ashcans.

I tend to like rare and / or development material and so I did consider protos at one point but I kept coming back to this:

They look like shit.    The aesthetics are terrible.    They don't look like something I'd want to spend that extra zero on.  

Fans of protos also will speak to their historical significance, and there is some for sure, but oftentimes all that *american* protos boil down to is a translation / localization.    Tough for me to get too hard about having the original code for where somebody translated the japanese into "the truck have started to move" or whatever.

Now, some people love them and I get that and no dis whatsoever to fans of them.    But the aesthetics is probably a sticking point to big prices, IMO, at least to the sealed game crowd / new comic money crowd.

The guys that are into NWCs and whatnot, if they get more into protos, then maybe they do up because they don't care about aesthetics, but those are the guys already buying them for the most part, so I don't see where the increase comes from, and I don't see protos  as friendly to the new wave that is interested in aesthetics.

Edited by Bronty
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Protos definitely have the rarity, but will a market develop?   A significant market hasn't really developed for ashcans.

I tend to like rare and / or development material and so I did consider protos at one point but I kept coming back to this:

They look like shit.    The aesthetics are terrible.    They don't look like something I'd want to spend that extra zero on.  

Fans of protos also will speak to their historical significance, and there is some for sure, but oftentimes all that *american* protos boil down to is a translation / localization.    Tough for me to get too hard about having the original code for where somebody translated the japanese into "the truck have started to move" or whatever.

Now, some people love them and I get that and no dis whatsoever to fans of them.    But the aesthetics is probably a sticking point to big prices, IMO, at least to the sealed game crowd / new comic money crowd.

The guys that are into NWCs and whatnot, if they get more into protos, then maybe they do up because they don't care about aesthetics, but those are the guys already buying them for the most part, so I don't see where the increase comes from, and I don't see protos  as friendly to the new wave that is interested in aesthetics.

What about proto boxes? The poor man's original art. 😎

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Romiked2689 said:

there’s a section for speculation of video game economics(seriously why does this get its own thread)

Because 50 percent of threads made on the old site in the past couple years were basically nothing but this.

I actually think it's a great idea to condense the discussion into a single place, so that we can talk about it here without filling up the rest of the forum with speculation chat.

If protos don't have their own subforum, is there somewhere else that it might be appropriate to talk about them? I never used to visit the proto subforum on the old site,  so I'm not sure how busy it was...

11 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Lmao, man destroys the NES prototype market in one sentence.

Really interesting someone says prototypes do nothing for him and then he destroys it because he couldn’t find anything unique;) I have a nes prototype that was used for Disney 1990 championship so rarer then nwc and it’s still different with zero bad translation( bunch of spelling errors tho) 

40 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I said nothing at all about uniqueness.   First and foremost my issue was aesthetics.    The secondary issue about lack of relevance was my POV only and many won’t share that view so I consider that much less important to an analysis of any future prospects 

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I’m glad it’s that way. I’m just stating how someone said you destroyed the nes prototype market because of you not being excited for translation coding. Yeah I’ll admit a sample or same as retail isn’t as appealing to me as something that’s unique to what we got. I do have a couple samples or same as retail because of nostalgia for me.(pocky rocky and Pokémon). I mainly get hard for something that’s different or something I have a general interest in. I guess I coulda stated that the translation code isn’t what most in prototypes are after. Although people love to see bad words not censored. 

the high dollar prototypes are usually first party or unreleased. Being nes or GameCube or something in between doesn’t mean it will have value. i also do not buy prototypes for the value I’m a huge fan of pcbs so what doesn’t appeal to you aesthetically does it for me. Also to be very clear having a shell for the pcb is always a huge plus. Also having a badass label huugge plus. Also since there’s no thread for prototypes and I doubt I can change that! Here’s some eye candy 

7026C8A8-A00C-464D-BB50-F242FA09881C.jpeg

816141E3-7C0D-4C30-A49F-F87E176CB6C6.jpeg

3CBA03BC-2B80-4659-A9BF-6EFBBB28B4C7.jpeg

C31842A1-E67E-4159-B8FA-BA4EAD70F47B.jpeg

• Like 1