IGNORED

Chrono Trigger Snes Label Differences

Can someone answer why the color is so different? I really don't believe either one is a reproduction. I got one from a friend (original owner) and one from an old lady who I'm positive never replaced the label.

I recently acquired the copy on the top. Its in much nicer condition than the one on the bottom. You can see the color differences is quite noticeable. The one on the bottom matches the color of the box better.

Im hoping someone will know the reason they are so different.  Maybe some opinions on which to keep! Lol. I appreciate everyone on here! Thanks in advance!20200205_103406.thumb.jpg.b1e8e3707aa634596025375b75036499.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for all the quick replies! I also thought it was worth mentioning that I have opened them to confirm they are legit. Thanks for checking on your copies when you get home. Im wondering about the later down the line production date myself or just a different manufacturer. I like the bottom one because it matches the color of the box perfect but, the top one is near mint! I'm so torn! Lol. Thanks again!!! You guys are awesome!

I'm not sure what it is about these stickers but after looking at many labels over the years, the ones with significantly whiter regions will much more quickly show the aging of the carts.

I can't speak for this game.  I do have 3-4 copies in my collection so I can check when I get to my desk, but the yellowing tends to happen when the label "ages".  I don't know the specific scientific reasons, but I think some labels age more quickly if the are in heat or possibly high humidity.

If I had to guess, that first game was probably kept in a drawer or other well climate controlled location and the top one might have been kept CIB, but possibly in an attic or a storage box out in a garage.  That yellowing seems to happen when the cart sits outside in the elements, even if it's kept dry.

45 minutes ago, RH said:

I'm not sure what it is about these stickers but after looking at many labels over the years, the ones with significantly whiter regions will much more quickly show the aging of the carts.

I can't speak for this game.  I do have 3-4 copies in my collection so I can check when I get to my desk, but the yellowing tends to happen when the label "ages".  I don't know the specific scientific reasons, but I think some labels age more quickly if the are in heat or possibly high humidity.

If I had to guess, that first game was probably kept in a drawer or other well climate controlled location and the top one might have been kept CIB, but possibly in an attic or a storage box out in a garage.  That yellowing seems to happen when the cart sits outside in the elements, even if it's kept dry.

It's just strange how the grey color of the monster is such a darker grey! Thanks for the reply! The white yellowing makes a lot of sense to me but this lighter grey is puzzling. Lol. The one on top definitely was, I believe, kept in its box most of its life. Thanks again!

Edited by Upstairscoma

I'll also mention that though these are industrial, high quality color printers, they do use ink wells and when they are getting low, the do start to run a little weak.  Not horribly so, but it can cause there to be a difference in color.  It's my educated guess that if an ink well can contain, say, a liter or two, of ink, that's a lot of weight, applying a bit more pressure on the line.  Once it gets to being 3-5% full, that pressure drops and, who knows, maybe they occasionally run them util an ink well completely runs out.

Again, I've not seen variations in this game, but I have bought a LOT of GB carts and I have multiple copies of many games.  These labels are often very-close but I have seen slight differences in color and such, and it's just my guess that more ink is getting through the printer on some label print runs than others. Usually the difference is subtle, but on some occasions, it is quite obvious.

2 hours ago, Upstairscoma said:

Thanks for all the quick replies! I also thought it was worth mentioning that I have opened them to confirm they are legit. Thanks for checking on your copies when you get home. Im wondering about the later down the line production date myself or just a different manufacturer. I like the bottom one because it matches the color of the box perfect but, the top one is near mint! I'm so torn! Lol. Thanks again!!! You guys are awesome!

If you post pictures of the circuit boards, we can help you figure out when the carts were produced. All the chips on the circuit board have date codes for when they were produced. 

17 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

If you post pictures of the circuit boards, we can help you figure out when the carts were produced. All the chips on the circuit board have date codes for when they 

They correspond with the previous images. Top/bottom. Thanks! This is great! I appreciate all the help here!

20200205_144534.jpg

Edited by Upstairscoma

14 minutes ago, Upstairscoma said:

They correspond with the previous images. Top/bottom. Thanks! This is great! I appreciate all the help here!

Looks like they were made around the same time. The latest date code for the top one is 9528 (28th week of 1995) and the bottom one is 9529 (29th week of 1995). So they were produced around a week apart and a month before the game was released in North America. That seems to rule out them being different production runs. 

1 minute ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Looks like they were made around the same time. The latest date code for the top one is 9528 (28th week of 1995) and the bottom one is 9529 (29th week of 1995). So they were produced around a week apart and a month before the game was released in North America. That seems to rule out them being different production runs. 

Awesome man. Thanks for ruling that out. Another thing worth noting is that the top cartridge, which I believe sat in its box most of its life, was still in its original plastic bag when I bought this. So, maybe that has something to do with it as well. Its just a tough call because i like the color of the bottom one but the top one is almost mint. Thanks again man. Which one would you keep? Lol. I appreciate your time and opinions!