IGNORED

Twitch streamer and speedrunner Aquas beat Battletoads in a day

mbd39

Well, technically he streamed for 3 hours on Tuesday and then beat the game yesterday. It took him 16 hours altogether. I was watching for much of yesterday's 13 hour stream and couldn't believe his rapid progress. I didn't think that it could be done.

He didn't allow hints and figured everything out on his own while taking notes. I was most amazed by how quickly he learned how to beat the third rat in the Rat Race without headbutting him at all.

This is a long stream but I recommend at least skimming through it. If you're a huge Battletoads nerd then you might find yourself watching the whole thing.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/536458626

• Like 1

I watched some of it, pretty entertaining. Always keep notes if you're play hard games, that's something I've learned along the way (though there aren't many action games where you need to).

Also, mbd, you really need to stop trying to spoil stuff, it was annoying to read that in the chat. I know you were excited and you want to help, but it's not good to do that.

Edited by scaryice

1 hour ago, scaryice said:

Also, mbd, you really need to stop trying to spoil stuff, it was annoying to read that in the chat. I know you were excited and you want to help, but it's not good to do that.

You mean referring to later sections of the game? I can see why that would be annoying if you've never seen a playthrough before.  I didn't know that would be an issue, I was just trying to avoid giving any hints or tips as per the streamer's request.

2 hours ago, scaryice said:

I just mean saying stuff like 'the next stage is hard and only has a few checkpoints,' that basically is a hint that can affect how someone plays. Maybe I just have a lower tolerance for spoilers than most people, I dunno.

To be fair, that applies to a majority of NES games. They're made to be difficult, it's just what's expected.

3 hours ago, ifightdragons said:

To be fair, that applies to a majority of NES games. They're made to be difficult, it's just what's expected.

Yeah, but it's still an unnecessary heads up on a playthrough like this when someone is deliberately going in cold. Everyone wants to see how they fair totally blind and unfamiliar. Even if the majority of the NES games are like this, it still can affect the playthrough as scaryice said.

I've gotta give Battletoads and adventure Island a try again as I don't remember them being that insane. I always remember the last level in BT giving me the most trouble but the game is generally a test of trial and error but not randomly tough. 

Going in blind and beating it in a day does seem very fast. Guy must be monster gamer. 

Edited by Andy_Bogomil

1 minute ago, peg said:

Battletoads is probably the most overrated game of all time in terms of difficulty.  You get so many extra lives you can fuck up over and over again and still beat it without continuing.

Maybe. But far easier games such as Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden and Mike Tyson's Punch Out are still being listed among the hardest of all time.

• 2 weeks later...