IGNORED

Rediscovering the GameBoy Classics!

Posted (edited)

Hey everyone!

I'm glad to be part of this awesome retro gaming forum.

My love for retro games goes way back to my childhood days, got my first gameboy at 6 years old, which I still own and now have modded up. I went through a phase of emulation and sold my game collection, however while I have no regrets selling the psx, n64, gamecube, dreamcast, gameboy advance and even gameboy color games, I came to regret losing the original dmg games. 

While the everdrive is a very useful tool, and I still use it, there is some magic plugging in an original gameboy game cartridge.

So have been diving back into that and have had a goal of completing a full set of gameboy games, excluding the Japanese ones.. 

Might even ask for a bit of help on trying to find my last titles. 

Also I have been keeping a record of my game collection, there is a bit of a backlog on what I need to post, but I post the prices I paid and where I sourced them too, which some of you may find interesting.

https://www.instagram.com/gameboyguidetothegalaxy/

Cheers.

Edited by GameBoyGuideToTheGalaxy
  • Like 1

I'm so glad to hear someone else has/is giving the GB some love.  Off the top of my head, myself, @Splain, @JVOSS and I think @RpgCollector have complete GB sets, same as yours, for the US.  I know @JVOSS is working on going for a full world-wide set which, to be honest, I'm not sure anyone has ever done before.

And if/when you finish that quest, then welcome to the world of variant hunting!  They will keep you busy for decades to come.

Anyway, I still have a pile of maybe 30-40 duplicates.  PM me your need list and I can cut you a deal on a lot, if you're interested.  Good luck!  The GB set is truly a great one to go for.  There are some difficult titles but nothing is truly impossible.  Plus once you get the heavies out of the way, it's not too awful bad.  That said, I do recommend attacking from the top down, at least to start with.  I started in 2016 and finished in 2019 and let me tell you, I was glad to get the top 20 most expensive ones out of the way because had I waited, it would have cost me, probably, a few extra thousand bucks.  Still, Toxic Crusader was one of the last ones I needed, and it had just started to skyrocket when I bough it.  I think I paid $150, think it was nuts but then it kept going up from there.  I'm not saying to chase money, but I will say when something seems to catch value-fire, it rarely goes down.

1 hour ago, AirVillain said:

Welcome!

Awesome story, and great goal!

That will certainly keep you busy and having lots of fun!

I love a good run through of Super Mario Land on the OG Gameboy on a nice sunny day outside. It just feels "right". 🥰

Thanks man, yes, should be fun. 😄

And for sure, Super Mario land on the gameboy is my most replayed and completed game. xD

17 minutes ago, RH said:

I'm so glad to hear someone else has/is giving the GB some love.  Off the top of my head, myself, @Splain, @JVOSS and I think @RpgCollector have complete GB sets, same as yours, for the US.  I know @JVOSS is working on going for a full world-wide set which, to be honest, I'm not sure anyone has ever done before.

And if/when you finish that quest, then welcome to the world of variant hunting!  They will keep you busy for decades to come.

Anyway, I still have a pile of maybe 30-40 duplicates.  PM me your need list and I can cut you a deal on a lot, if you're interested.  Good luck!  The GB set is truly a great one to go for.  There are some difficult titles but nothing is truly impossible.  Plus once you get the heavies out of the way, it's not too awful bad.  That said, I do recommend attacking from the top down, at least to start with.  I started in 2016 and finished in 2019 and let me tell you, I was glad to get the top 20 most expensive ones out of the way because had I waited, it would have cost me, probably, a few extra thousand bucks.  Still, Toxic Crusader was one of the last ones I needed, and it had just started to skyrocket when I bough it.  I think I paid $150, think it was nuts but then it kept going up from there.  I'm not saying to chase money, but I will say when something seems to catch value-fire, it rarely goes down.

Have seen @JVOSS on the Game Boy DMG cartridge collectors from all regions facebook group, his collection is very impressive. 

Will be sure you message you with some games I'm looking for. 

I'll be sure to look out for the other names you've given too, I love seeing other peoples dmg collections.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Greetings  Groundling!

I have about 300 across the 3 formats (original, color and advance) - about 1/2 with boxes - all except Trip World and Amazing Tater have manuals though.  It is the only format I collect for that I don't have boxes for everything since those boxes can be impossible to find.  My favorites are the 9 tin Japan Hudson releases.

download(6).jpeg.30164ff41a3a512703b472a684a6c7d4.jpeg

Edited by Tabonga
  • Love 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Tabonga said:

Greetings  Groundling!

I have about 300 across the 3 formats (original, color and advance) - about 1/2 with boxes - all except Trip World and Amazing Tater have manuals though.  It is the only format I collect for that I don't have boxes for everything since those boxes can be impossible to find.  My favorites are the 9 tin Japan Hudson releases.

download(6).jpeg.30164ff41a3a512703b472a684a6c7d4.jpeg

Oh very nice, I don't know too much about the Japanese releases apart from a couple of titles. I happened to buy this Zas title, which I quite like. 

IMG_3955.JPG

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, GameBoyGuideToTheGalaxy said:

Oh very nice, I don't know too much about the Japanese releases apart from a couple of titles. I happened to buy this Zas title, which I quite like. 

IMG_3955.JPG

Thanks  - I only have the 9 little cans (they are so mondo cute), Trip World ( such a strange game), the other three gameboy wars (the four (along with Famicom Wars and Super Famicom Wars) are pre-cursors to Advance Wars), Nectaris, Daisenryaku and a copy of Combat Choro Q (with a little tank) Limited.

download (9).jpeg

71GteuG07sL.jpg

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

• 5 weeks later...