IGNORED

Help - Mint GameBoy Game or Repro?

Graphics Team · Posted

So I just bought my Game Boy "holy grail" (Zas) and it came in the mail today - but I'm a bit concerned with how pristine the condition is.

Can any Game Boy experts help me figure out if this is an authentic copy?

Here's a link to the sold listing on ebay: 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/386972366215?itmmeta=01HXDRJRP90RRB9Q3HX96C2M23&hash=item5a1959b587:g:SYgAAOSw445mNp3I&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAAwGuf8zRUiLXhoYXoTYIj5dl3tiPUsgi%2B4dT9vJ44ZC1MRnLv%2BIqDXQ6W7RWdLqO42l7VIn4zjwfumxglS7xfS1ZNf5Fc4gi7EKIeK1QeAasVCQmwpeY55j17ezKX8en%2BoNuMjaeANMSuFKTdCQq0nkbDgLDiwx%2FnlGRU%2BBNYu%2FlKfdl355zFf4VXOtGeXYR7UTchjjGmrGm1uBLMuXoakyu2nws8kozqppzsvUsJLNBpn0Sib6qXrP2NZ6cr01tJuQ%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5yLy7jrYw

And here are pictures of the cart and board:

image.jpeg.9b26d6c82030d34b99c2997774ad8e34.jpeg

image.jpeg.ef334ccdc474db040e31f65151bb820a.jpeg

image.jpeg.06bec3c0b31962cad07ecce2b421281c.jpeg

image.jpeg.9e425c81328cfe1144db7e89e535c5f7.jpeg

image.jpeg.aa277c57c9ce8fba57f59714cbd32ab5.jpeg

Thanks in advance!

[T-Pac]

Administrator · Posted

Really fun game! I just made the achievement icons for that game's set over on RetroAchievements, so kinda funny to see it pop up so soon after over here.

Looks fine, I see nothing wrong with it from a legitimacy standpoint. It has some wear, and it's not uncommon for games from Japan to show up pristine. I've gotten multiple CIB games that survived the mail trip over here and you'd think they transported through time from the 80's straight from the factory.

Grats on the pickup!

Graphics Team · Posted
8 hours ago, Gloves said:

Really fun game! I just made the achievement icons for that game's set over on RetroAchievements, so kinda funny to see it pop up so soon after over here.

Me: "Finally got my obscure grail that nobody even knows about!"
Gloves: "Not only am I aware of this game, but I've played and mastered it to the point that I set the game's achievement standards."

Jokes aside - that's awesome! I'll be happy just to beat the game on Easy, but it definitely strikes me as a good title for replaying with different challenge criteria.

[T-Pac]

• Haha 3

Graphics Team · Posted
8 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

I'm in no way an expert but I want to play along and take a guess.  In my amateur opinion 

Reveal hidden contents

that shit looks legit to me.

8 hours ago, Gloves said:

Looks fine, I see nothing wrong with it from a legitimacy standpoint. It has some wear, and it's not uncommon for games from Japan to show up pristine. I've gotten multiple CIB games that survived the mail trip over here and you'd think they transported through time from the 80's straight from the factory.

And thanks for the input, dudes! Makes me (and my bank account) feel a lot better about the whole thing haha.

Anyone else able to weigh-in on the authenticity? @Splain ? @RH ? Anyone else well-versed in Game Boy carts?

[T-Pac]

Posted

One more quick note, though checking the board is important, one of the easiest way to tell if a GB game is legit is that 2-digit stamp on the front.  To my recollection, I've not seen any bootlegs with it, though honestly, I've not bought many GB games in the past few years so I don't know if that's changed.  That said, if you have a bunch of GB carts, just look at all their stamps.  The stamping mechanism for GB games (and all Nintendo games that had a label stamp) is very distinct and would be really hard to replicate.  If I had to guess, these were stamped while rolled across a metal back, and the pressure was adjusted to be hard enough to cut the sticker, but not cut through the sticker.  This is why the label seems to bubble in the curve of the "2".  Also, these stamping bladed were used a lot so I think the angle of the cut on the blade was probably wide as to not wear out.  Regardless, the cut is harsh, but not so harsh to truly damage the sticker.

These are the fine details I've noticed.  NES back-label stamps are the same, but they are bigger.

• Like 3

UGH I wish I had that game, but yeah, that's a real cart and sticker.  That price is the only thing that keeps me off.

The game uses some really stunningly unique tricks to pull off some visuals in the game using like every other frame to create twice as many colors if you can call it that, basically it makes a transparency effect with the backgrounds and allows for more action on screen.  The game is a real weird one off that shouldn't be ignored which is why the price is toxic as F. 😕

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

The game uses some really stunningly unique tricks to pull off some visuals in the game using like every other frame to create twice as many colors if you can call it that, basically it makes a transparency effect with the backgrounds and allows for more action on screen. 

So it's a good execution of the flicker type technique in Pac-Man 2600?

• Agree 1

Graphics Team · Posted
21 hours ago, Tanooki said:

The game is a real weird one off that shouldn't be ignored which is why the price is toxic as F. 😕

Yeah - I definitely don't feel good about contributing to the toxic price, but if you've been following the "only 5 games to complete your collection" thread - this was the heaviest of my 5 and a few things lined up for me to splurge on it, so I have no regrets haha.

[T-Pac]

21 hours ago, Tanooki said:

yeah, that's a real cart and sticker.  

23 hours ago, RH said:

Yeah, looks legit to me.  It's also from Japan and, other than Tetris, 9 times out of 10, stuff from there is going to be in an 8 of 10 condition, or better.

21 hours ago, GPX said:

I think it looks legit. Just be sure to check seller feedback as well @T-Pac.

21 hours ago, Splain said:

100% legit.

Thanks everybody! I can rest easy now and enjoy my new toy.

[T-Pac]

No I don't follow those completing things.  I've changed gears a lot in the last couple of years due to the utter toxicity of things, and also now since last August I'm working 2 jobs (60hrs~/wk).

I largely don't follow domestic games anymore on ebay, only really reach out when it comes to Japanese Famicom, somewhat SFC and Megadrive, and then Gameboy...that's it.  I only further look when it's something I'll play, not to turn or trade, if I don't feel I'd actually use it, I don't care.

It was causing a huge dislike and down on me even wanting to bother anymore so I dropped it, hard.  I got rid of my Gamecube this year and all my games, even stupid rares such as Cubivore I had.  I kept Defender, last game I worked on in the industry, that's it.

If I get domestic games it's almost always local and for at least 20% off ebay, preferably closer to 1/2 or more or again, I don't need it, sliding scale based on price.  More willing to eat $10 than $100 you know?

Gave up on home systems outside of Switch, instead have an insane computer since it outdoes walled garden closed PCs known as consoles.  Most costly up front, but over a ~5yr spread makes up for it in Steam(and GoG) sales and then ahead.

ZAS I'd love to have, but I'd be happy with a 1:1 bootleg at this rate since it would be for play, not collectible foreplay. 😉