IGNORED

Digitizing Physical Media

i have some VHS tapes and a vinyl record that i am looking to digitize. 

Previously, i've been able to record some VHS, but with these particular tapes i've been running into issues.

#1- i think some of the homemade tapes are recorded in 8 hour mode. They play fine, but when i tried to record them, the audio was wildly out of sync, and i couldn't find a way to correct that i was happy with. 

#2- one of the tapes is a 30 minute commercial release, but when i have tried playing it, the speed seems to play funny- it will randomly speed way up so it becomes unwatchable. i've tried a couple different VHS of the same tape, and even on different VCRs. i don't understand what is causing this.

#3- my record player is not in a location that will allow a PC connection anymore. 

anyway, what i'm actually asking is if anyone here has experience with this and does it on the side? 

I’ve got no experience with it personally but I believed my framer does media preservation? I’ll reach out to her and see if she has any suggestions. I’ve not used her services for that but she’s been a long term friend and does excellent work. 

• Thanks 1

Posted

I've seriously considered saving up and getting one of the new, expensive RetroTink's just for this purpose.  I have a lot of VHS tapes from my childhood and, for some reason, some of them recorded in an odd interlaced way and we can't even watch them on an old LCD TV without  combing.

I know the RetroTink has a lot of advanced algorithms for handling interlacing, plus it has good scalars, even for video like VHS.  It's quite expensive and more that I'd tend to want to buy for a single gaming item, but for archiving family memories, especially that I can share with my Mom, Dad, Aunt's, Uncles, etc.  It's not that expensive.

• Like 1

You can run the created files through Handbrake and there are some settings to correct interlace issues. I ripped a bunch of hard-to-find softcore VHS tapes a while back and gave the output a run through Handbrake too.

As for vinyl, is it something that hasn't been ripped already? I can find even the most obscure classical recordings transferred by obsessive nerds on YT at this point and grab em with Jdownloader2. I imagine that's the case for other genres too.

i almost made a P.S. that wrestling fans would get a kick out of this. here's why:

12 hours ago, RH said:

but for archiving family memories, especially that I can share with my Mom, Dad, Aunt's, Uncles, etc.  It's not that expensive.

yeah, i would agree. This falls somewhere in between. It is home videos of my friends and i doing some backyard wrestling. Like, this is early '00s, hit each other with stupid stuff, backyard wrestling. No storylines or anything, just some untrained teenagers being idiots.

2 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

As for vinyl, is it something that hasn't been ripped already? I can find even the most obscure classical recordings transferred by obsessive nerds on YT at this point and grab em with Jdownloader2. I imagine that's the case for other genres too.

yep, unless you can find video/audio of former WWF Champion Sgt. Slaughter's rock album. but i've scoured and can't find it, so was going to rip and upload so that some other poor shmuck doesn't have to!

Posted (edited)

No helpful advise, but I feel your pain.

My hobby before classic games was RIOs of shows of bands I liked. I’ve got media in many different forms for stuff that I’ve recorded myself or copies of other people’s original recordings. It’s overwhelming. And my wife hates the clutter.

Edited by LostLevel83
Misspelt word