IGNORED

The Crew -- Or, your daily reminder of why physical copies of games are a must!

Ubisoft is deleting The Crew from players' libraries, reminding us we own nothing

https://www.engadget.com/ubisoft-is-deleting-the-crew-from-players-libraries-reminding-us-we-own-nothing-165328083.html

Ubisoft’s online-only racing game The Crew stopped being operable on April 1. Some users are reporting, however, that things have gone a bit further. They say that the company actually reached into Ubisoft Connect accounts and revoked the license to access the game...Some of these people said they had planned to set up private servers to play the game, an option that is now impossible...it does highlight a major problem with the purchase and use of digital goods. We pay money for these products. We think we own them, but we don’t own a damned thing.

Well yeah, if you own digital goods (games, NFTs, etc) and in my opinion digital currency are all in the same league -- non-tangible and could vaporize in a moment's notice! Back to games, I'm just thankful companies like Limited Run Games exist 🙂

Oh, and I'm still amused to read articles about how "Now, it's really the end of physical games. Yeah, I said that 20 years ago and every year since, but really the sky is falling...er, it's the end of physical games!"

• Angry 1

https://www.stopkillinggames.com/

The Crew has physical copies, but they won't mean anything when a game is always online and server support is axed by the publisher that doesn't provide a patch to remove online requirements / doesn't allow players to support the game in their own ways after official support ends. Also with the online only functionality and servers ceasing to exist, the digital game being in your account or not makes no difference, so it being removed is kinda whatever in this context. Still the big picture is very important and this video talks about the issue in depth and The Crew is used as a real opportunity to do something about it (link relates to the video too).

1 hour ago, inasuma said:

looking forward to congress not prioritizing a reasonable digital media support standard and we continue to own nothing.

They’ve shown absolutely no inclination to do anything about corporate abuses in other sectors and I don’t see why they would start here.  

57 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

They’ve shown absolutely no inclination to do anything about corporate abuses in other sectors and I don’t see why they would start here.  

Obviously if you just trust companies to act ethically, they always will!

/s

• Haha 2