IGNORED

Weekend Garage Project: Old Beach Brand Toolbox

Gloves

Administrator · Posted

So I'm not the handiest fellow around, but I do like to try. I like using my hands, getting a bit dirty, fixing stuff up, stuff like that. I'm trying my best especially with the new house to take on a more frugal, reuse mindset. 

My neighbors ended up upgrading their own toolboxes and asked if I wanted their old ones. Naturally, free stuff is free so I said yes. They ended up giving me a quite tall toolbox on wheels, and a more regular sized, if a bit big, toolbox. The regular size one is the one I'll be talking about here today.

The toolbox is Beach brand which I understand to be quite sturdy, and it does seem to fit that bill so far. That said, it's old and well used, showing signs of wear and some rusting. My intent is to do my best to bring it back to as close to "good as new" as I can, turning the free thing into probably an expensive thing lol. But it'll give me something to do with my hands. 

And that's where I turn to you all. I plan to document the process here, and I'm hoping some of the handier folks (I know you exist!) might give some tips, suggestions, product recos, etc.. 

Here's how she looks to start:

IMG_20240320_191600.jpg

IMG_20240320_190750.jpg

IMG_20240320_190742.jpg

IMG_20240320_190726.jpg

IMG_20240320_190632.jpg

IMG_20240320_190647.jpg

IMG_20240320_190138.jpg

• Love 1

Administrator · Posted

First thing first, those grimy and squeaky metal slider things. I cleaned em up nice. Not sure next step here, whether I need to grease em back up, or if WD40 is the move. Again, I know Jack diddly, so it's a matter of research and/or you all tossing me advice! 

Before and after shots:

IMG_20240320_190149.jpg

IMG_20240320_190220.jpg

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

It would be dope if you had the means to sandblast those and repaint them, fresh coat of fire engine red paint is truly beautiful!

The plan is to scrub the shit out of it and then do exactly that. No sand blaster sadly but I can put in elbow grease. 

10 minutes ago, Gloves said:

The plan is to scrub the shit out of it and then do exactly that. No sand blaster sadly but I can put in elbow grease. 

If it was me I’d definitely try to remove the old paint first, painting over it is gonna come out bad imo. Maybe something like this or similar product in Canada? If you strip it don’t forget primer before painting!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CitriStrip-32-fl-oz-Regular-Multi-surface-Paint-Stripper-Gel-Removes-Latex-Paint-Oil-based-Paint-Varnish-Lacquer-Polyurethane-Shellac/5003322011?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-pnt-_-ggl-_-LIA_PNT_133_TS-Sanding-Sundries-Surface-Buckets-_-5003322011-_-local-_-0-_-0&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAD2B2W_L9WwuO4Keu_M1fIf5RsY_j&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2uTx9eChhQMVZEhHAR3Z8AvoEAQYAiABEgItbPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by a3quit4s

Administrator · Posted
12 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

This is exactly why I posted this, very handy! Thanks, I'll do this 100%!

I'm on the "clean it up" phase right now, doing a drawer or two today. Will order this or something similar so it shows up before next weekend. 

Any good brands you'd suggest for primer and paint? I was looking at Rustoleum. 

• Like 1

I would use silicon spray lubticant on those rails - a lot less messy than wd40.  Looks like they could use an application of degreaser first  too.  Greasy stuff tends to get dirt worked into it.

Depending on your ratchet set situation I have always found these useful

https://www.amazon.com/AMM-9-Piece-Organizer-Holders-Premium/dp/B0BFHRVW9W/ref=asc_df_B0BFHRVW9W/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=642228310931&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7043325157931399993&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028780&hvtargid=pla-1946481962088&mcid=e4cd5fac3c833f98a8446a5bd96e4317&th=1

You have those little angled dividers which are supposed to hold sockets but I have always found those less than satisfactory.  Unless you want to keep everything intact you might want to remove them if possible to create more room.

Boxes like this can be useful to hold small screwdrivers or whatever.

https://www.amazon.com/Metal-Tool-Box-Sheet-Gauge/dp/B00I9GCYCO/ref=asc_df_B00I9GCYCO/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459587573990&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17485808309619119926&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028780&hvtargid=pla-382641052289&psc=1&mcid=50042230dbf530d39cd4caf5f52bdb2b&gclid=CjwKCAjwtqmwBhBVEiwAL-WAYZABffksR2thKFHkBgqwcxSGLKSlq5XCQ1RGDW1chVIbq-NYrZwcyRoCPSkQAvD_BwE

And don't forget the obligatory pin up on the inside of the lid!

download.jpeg.5c110ba474777cf82dc2500986a56f65.jpeg

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Administrator · Posted

I'm not sure why you are going through all this effort when you can add some hinges and make it a lunchbox!

🙂

In all seriousness though, good luck with the project and hope it turns out well.  It's always really rewarding to do stuff like this and compare the before and after!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Gloves said:

This in exactly why I posted this, very handy! Thanks, I'll do this 100%!

Im on the "clean it up" phase right now, doing a drawer or two today. Will order this or something similar so it shows up before next weekend. 

Any good brands you'd suggest for primer and paint? I was looking at Rustoleum. 

Rustoleum is probably what I would go for as an amateur, someone may suggest something better. If you really want a nice shine and protecting finish it off with clear coat as well

• Thanks 1

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, Only_None said:

Unless you do body work, like filling pits, it will always look/feel like an old box that has been painted. Personally I prefer the worn in look. As long as it’s clean and functional. 

I'm not opposed to doing what needs done, assuming the skill and tools required aren't insane. Do you have any tips on what such body work looks like, or where I might start looking into it? 

10 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I'm not opposed to doing what needs done, assuming the skill and tools required aren't insane. Do you have any tips on what such body work looks like, or where I might start looking into it? 

Odd Tinkering on YouTube is one of my favorite restorers to watch. He does some of the full ins for metal pitting on this video. I think his about has what he uses to do it as well:

• Thanks 1
  • Wow! 1

Administrator · Posted
3 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Odd Tinkering on YouTube is one of my favorite restorers to watch. He does some of the full ins for metal pitting on this video. I think his about has what he uses to do it as well:

Just watched; I need to see about some of that filler stuff. Seems like it'd be handy for the toolbox since there's definitely pitting going on, assuming I've got the terminology right there.