IGNORED

Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth

spacepup

Administrator · Posted

I know we have some Final Fantasy fans in here - how are you all enjoying Rebirth? 

I'm probably about 20 hours-ish into the game, and I have to say I am REALLY enjoying it.  It took the parts that I liked about FF7 Remake, but added a lot more depth, lots of open-world exploring, TONS of minigames, some of which are actually super fun, and much more.

It feels like there is a lot of content available in this game, and I am having a blast with it.  Honestly, the Remake and now Rebirth games, are much better than what I anticipated.  They still follow the main storyline of the original game, but add a lot of interesting content.  I know some people weren't super thrilled with the 'episodic' nature of the reboot, but I actually enjoy it because with each segment they are able to really expand on the characters and world created with the original game.

Anyone else pick this up?  Thoughts?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Administrator · Posted

I've not played it, and it'll be a long while before I entertain doing so. You know I was really disappointed with the direction of both the combat and the story in the first Remake game, never finished that, so it's a hurdle I'd have to overcome to even glance in this one's direction. 

I'm honestly really disappointed that I don't like it. They don't have to cater to me, nobody needs to make games the way I want them, but such a drastic shift from both what I'd consider a good remake of FF7 and from what I enjoy playing in general has made the whole thing incredibly unappealing for me.

Administrator · Posted
6 minutes ago, RH said:

Obviously Remake spanned the time in Midgar.  What is the full span of the story for this portion?  Through Gold Saucer, or do you actually make it all the way to the space launch?

Rebirth starts right after Midgar and goes through the City of the Ancients / Forgotten Capital.

• Wow! 1

2 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Im definitely going to check it out after the PlayStation 6 comes out.  I really enjoyed remake.  Had to google this to see if it was the sequel or not lol.  

At this point, I'm just not into newer consoles but from time to time, I get the itch to consider doing a modern upgrade.  That said, I'm just not super-impressed with what I've seen from this era of games compared to the PS4 era.  There's a chance I'll get a PS6 once it's been out for a few years (which means, this will likely be around 2030) but I do intended to try and get the 3x Final Fantasy VII games, assuming they are all out and accessible then.  Certainly, after they release the 3rd game and let it make it's profits, they will release a 3-in-1 package deal for the PS6.  Even if I don't buy too many more games for it, it will likely be enough to motivate me to get a used model and (hopefully) used copies of the trilogy.

20 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

After @RH spends the next 24 months finishing Final Fantasy VI, he can project plan the 300 hours a playthrough of the trilogy is gonna take 😅

In all seriousness, part of why I'm waiting for the PS6 to be 'middle aged' is because my two kids are 13 and 10 and when I have free time, I spend a lot of time with them because they still want to be with me.  But in 6-9  years, they'll be older and mostly doing their own things so that free time can be for gaming.  I will be pushing 50, though, so there's also the chance I'll be using that additional free time to uh... go to bed at 9:00PM!

32 minutes ago, RH said:

At this point, I'm just not into newer consoles but from time to time, I get the itch to consider doing a modern upgrade.  That said, I'm just not super-impressed with what I've seen from this era of games compared to the PS4 era.  There's a chance I'll get a PS6 once it's been out for a few years (which means, this will likely be around 2030) but I do intended to try and get the 3x Final Fantasy VII games, assuming they are all out and accessible then.  Certainly, after they release the 3rd game and let it make it's profits, they will release a 3-in-1 package deal for the PS6.  Even if I don't buy too many more games for it, it will likely be enough to motivate me to get a used model and (hopefully) used copies of the trilogy.

I’m cheap and I’m never going to spend $500 on the system.  These FFVII games are the only things I’m aware of on the system that makes me really want one.  Maybe I’m missing some revolutionary stuff but it doesn’t seem like it. I feel like I would’ve heard about that around here at some point. When the prices come down because everyone is ready to move on that’ll be my moment.  

Looking forward to 2049.  Should have lots of free time while living underground avoiding the giant ants on the surface.  Games should only be a couple bottle caps by then, might have to go without my radiation meds though.

Anyway.  I'm about 2/3 through Rebirth and am already 45 hours in.  This is a huge game.  I'm enjoying my time with it.  There are new open world activities, including some fun optional bosses to fight, and yes tons of mini games.  There are also side quests which feel right out of Yakuza, and if you play those games you will know what I mean.  Quite the contrast with how dark and brooding some of the main themes of the story are.

Storyline is mostly on track so far but there are a couple new additions, so I'm wondering how they fit into the plot.  Combat returns from Remake and is a good mix of action and tactical.  The new characters are fun to play with esp Yuffie.  There is also a massive OST, there must be like 200 songs here.  Lots of remakes of classic songs but also remixes that cover every genre from metal to jazz to techno.