IGNORED

Video Store Shelf

I got this from a friend a few days ago. It's an old Family Video shelf. I'm not sure if Family Video is widespread or not, but they were all over in the midwest.

Anyways, I want to fit it out with retro signage from old video stores, and I just want some input.

I don't have a ton of nostalgia for Fam Vid. I rented at Hollywood Video and Blockbuster as a kid. So, my question is:

Should I go full on Family Video since that's its origin? Or would it still feel right with Blockbuster signage or the like?

I know people are just gonna say "whatever feels right," but I'm asking because I actually want input.

Also, I'm aiming to get an old Mt Dew fridge and wire candy rack to go on the right side. I'm also going to get clamshells for the carts and it will be all boxed games of various condition. Essentially, as close to video store vibe as possible.

20240226_115805.jpg

Edited by 3rdStrongestMole
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

It looks like roughly the same shelves as the Blockbuster and Hollywood Videos that I frequented. Granted, I didn't do an intensive study (the stuff on the shelves held my interest more), but I don't think there was a standard "Family Video" shelf. They all probably sourced their shelves from the same manufacturers available in their respective regions. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, a3quit4s said:

Family Video. Not industrial enough to carry the full Blockbuster look. 

Im not even sure I’d put it in my own game room. It’s not really unique and it takes up way too much space for how much it displays!

It's actually really narrow. I had a fake fireplace thing there before, and it was cozy but not nostalgic at all.

This, to me, holds a lot more meaning than, say, wall shelves, or something like that. Especially once I get the vibe right around it with signage and fridge, not to mention the clamshell boxes.

I can see your perspective, but the sideways boxes/carts just ain't cutting it for me anymore. I wanna see the art.

• Like 2