IGNORED

It's a Wii Punch-Out Thread

wongojack

I couldn't find a dedicated thread for the game, so I figured I'd start one.  I am playing through all the title defense fights right now, and I just defeated Bald Bull.  I'm afraid I may have made a mistake because I'm playing on the WiiU over HDMI and of course I'm concerned about lag.  The TV I'm on has a very nice "game" mode that I've tested and does not introduce (much) latency, but I'm kinda concerned that the WiiU itself might be slowing things down.  I'd go switch to an actual Wii, but there's no way to move a save over.

Anybody else have some recent memories of this game?  I'm finding that for Soda Pop and Bald Bull that I've had to resort to pattern memorization or other little clues.  Reacting to specific movements is just too hard.  I'm wondering if playing on the Wii on a CRT would be about the same or easier?

Edited by wongojack
  • Like 1

Events Team · Posted

I've beaten the game a couple times (easily my favorite game in the series) and personally never had any trouble with input lag playing the game. I've played it both on the original Wii, and emulated on a PC, but never on Wii-U. I wouldn't think that'd introduce any additional input lag, at least not enough to make much of a difference. Pattern memorization is definitely important once you get to the later fights, especially the later title defense fights. Some of the moves, by design, are just too quick to possibly react to in the moment if you don't know what's coming.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I've beaten the game a couple times (easily my favorite game in the series) and personally never had any trouble with input lag playing the game. I've played it both on the original Wii, and emulated on a PC, but never on Wii-U. I wouldn't think that'd introduce any additional input lag, at least not enough to make much of a difference. Pattern memorization is definitely important once you get to the later fights, especially the later title defense fights. Some of the moves, by design, are just too quick to possibly react to in the moment if you don't know what's coming.

Thank you - I was thinking that was probably the case.  They do after all give you the chance to practice every fighter, so I figured it was a game of pattern recognition and memorization.  I'll keep going on WiiU.

Overall, I think this is an excellent game.  I can't believe how long it took me to play it!

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, wongojack said:

Thank you - I was thinking that was probably the case.  They do after all give you the chance to practice every fighter, so I figured it was a game of pattern recognition and memorization.  I'll keep going on WiiU.

Overall, I think this is an excellent game.  I can't believe how long it took me to play it!

Yeah, pattern recognition is important for sure. I've thankfully got very good hand-eye coordination so I can generally react to the later fighter's moves even when I don't have the exact sequence of moves they do fully memorized, so it's by no means impossible, but it's extremely difficult, especially on a first playthrough. Some of the moves are so fast that memorization can be really vital.

And yes, it's an absolutely fantastic game, and it makes me really wish they'd revisit the series and come out with a new entry at some point. So much untapped potential there, especially if they tried to experiment a bit more with some of the mechanics.

• Like 1

There's a slight lag on the WiiU's virtual Wii. "Expert" sources say 21ms (just over 1 frame at 60fps). So while that's definitely worse than playing on an original Wii, it's not bad, and well within what most modern game releases consider acceptable.

My (Samsung) TV has around 10ms lag in game mode, which based on how those measuring methods actually work is really close to the zero lag you get on a CRT (they'd measure at 8ms using the same methods). So personally I don't worry about HDMI itself, but of course that depends on your TV - and finding reliable measurements for individual models can often be a pain.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

I was reminded of all this lag talk by this blog post

https://www.sm128c.com/play-nintendo-switch-computer-monitor-0231

"it is actually an incredible experience to play Nintendo Switch on a monitor at my desktop PC setup...

So far I've primarily been playing Mario Strikers: Battle League since it was a new release, it was outstanding on a monitor, there's next to no latency which significantly improves gameplay.

I just have a low-to-mid end Samsung 24" monitor - not even a gaming monitor, but the Switch output on the display was very sharp, and the frame rate is superb compared to playing on a TV. The visuals were a much smoother experience."

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, cartman said:

Is it easier than NES and SNES

I've never played the SNES game, but I have played the NES version A LOT.

The Wii version has the same 3 circuits of fighters (with a couple of additions) with the same general ramp up in difficulty for each circuit.  However, after you beat all the fighters and win the titles, the Wii version has a title defense mode where you fight them all again.  They have new abilities that require you to practice against each fighter to know how to win.  IMO, the title defense circuit on the Wii is MUCH harder than the NES game.  It requires a lot more pattern recognition and memorization and took me quite a bit of practice - especially the last circuit.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, wongojack said:

I've never played the SNES game, but I have played the NES version A LOT.

The Wii version has the same 3 circuits of fighters (with a couple of additions) with the same general ramp up in difficulty for each circuit.  However, after you beat all the fighters and win the titles, the Wii version has a title defense mode where you fight them all again.  They have new abilities that require you to practice against each fighter to know how to win.  IMO, the title defense circuit on the Wii is MUCH harder than the NES game.  It requires a lot more pattern recognition and memorization and took me quite a bit of practice - especially the last circuit.

Sounds good. I've been skeptical of Nintendo's newer releases as being easy to hook kids and accommodate everyone. I don't have a Wii but is a title i would want to play.

it's been years since i played this, but i was on a mission to unlock and defeat Donkey Kong. pretty sure i never was able to beat him. fun game, and yeah i agree that the general game is easier than the NES version, but the higher end difficulty stuff can be pretty brutal.

• Like 1